Delete Post

jclinton

Hi everyone. This is my first attempt at sculpting and I don’tknow much about it. I have done some research, but am not sure on what I should use for what I am doing.

I am making a Chronicles of Riddick mannequin (Already have the costume), but the arms are way too small. I attempted to build them up with an air drying clay, as you can see in the pic, but it cracked and fell off in a couple days.

I have read about some epoxy clays, but I thought they didn't have much working time. It will be pretty thick in several areas 4" or so (Biceps especially).

The arms will be built up permanently and painted with an acrylic paint when I am done.

Does anyone have some suggestions of clay, or similar substance, that will air dry, not shrink, can be used for larger sculptures, and is hard enough to paint, sand, and take minor abuse? Ideally, something with a good amount of working time.

Thanks for any advice

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Re: Clay Type Help! Permanently building up a mannequin.

Auto body filler would be a better option that any type of clay. Bondo brand is relatively cheap and can be found in gallon cans at most hardware stores or even places like Wal-Mart.

Re: Clay Type Help! Permanently building up a mannequin.

Auto body filler would be a better option that any type of clay. Bondo brand is relatively cheap and can be found in gallon cans at most hardware stores or even places like Wal-Mart.

Would I be able to sculpt that though? I use bondo for small patch jobs, but I couldn't roll it into a ball for like the biceps that I will need to make. I also am not sure if I would be able to make it as smooth as I need. The working time on the bondo that I use is only like 5-10 min. Is there a different technique or additive for using bondo?

you could maybe use super sculpey? your suppose to bake it in the oven but you can also use a heat gun to harden it.

Thanks. I actually purchased Magic Sculpt. It seems pretty amazing so far. it air dries, does not shrink and you can sand and/or drill it. So far it is working out great.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back