1930s Pressure Suit Helmet from Maple Sugar Bucket

ScoopDiehl

First, I gotta thank asavage for introducing me to Wiley Post, the 1930s aviator who reached an altitude of 50k feet in his airplane, wearing a pressure suite designed by B.F. Goodrich in Akron, Ohio. Being an Ohio native, I have lived near Akron and Cleveland and the airports Wiley Post used for some of his flights. I'm now in a sleepy corner of the state, Geauga County.

Our Geauga Parks Department sent out a notice to all area artists that they were welcome to pick up one or two maple syrup buckets and make some art for a show. You could add any media you wished... that's where they made their mistake ... things got a little out of hand...

In addition to turning my bucket into a pressure helmet (influenced by Post's headgear) complete with throat microphone and a 1921 Murdock headset, I made a stand with an etched, brass nameplate; a US Army Air Corps crate to store it in, along with 4 framed photos of a chanracter I created, Luckey Haskins. On top of that, I made a 3-minute Army documentary with crummy special effects, wrote a 6-page story and set is all up with QR codes for easy download from the show floor.

TL/DR: Luckey was a WWI aviator from Geauga County, Ohio with a crappy track record for keeping planes in the air. He had a idea of powering a rocket with maple sap (which i flammable, BTW). His ship made it to 1,983 feet until i had issued and he had to bail... it's all in the story (link below)...

Here are the pieces-parts ... I had a blast building and weathering the piece to create a story that had some at the show asking, "is this for real?"

6-page book about Luckey and his attempt to break an altitude record with a maple sap-powered rocket: https://adobe.ly/3rnxE6O

My 3-minute film about Luckey (with the cheapest possibl SFX!):
20220120_104759.jpg
Luckey-Crew-6x4.jpg
Luckey-Portrait-MASTER.jpg
Luckey-Pilot-6x4.jpg
Ahorn43.jpg
Luckey-Helmet-4x6.jpg
BrianDiehl-MapleSapBucketArt-2022.jpg
20220120_104545.jpg

Just came across your build. This is very cool! The background & history is fascinating and your helmet is just terrific - love it!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back