Limited Run Death Star panel

Yeah, looks like things have picked up, as suggested after waiting a bit more, so I'll be moving ahead. I'm looking at the bits now and starting to make up the silicone molds. So hang tight - I'll work in the work on this between day job stuff and try to have something to show in a week or two...

Thanks all!

Dan

Progress for those interested...

IMG_6762_small.jpg

Dan

More progress - first good casting of the panel:

IMG_6785_small.jpg

I had one failed initial casting but learned what to do to fix that so we're off to production on the panel. The tubes are yet to be molded but we'll get there. Quite busy with day job work next week but will try to keep moving along. Patience please... :)

Dan

Update:

Panel production is proceeding along nicely, four complete and a couple more to go today and tomorrow.

The tubes are another thing. I've had trouble making the molds, with some uncured silicone rubber clinging to the inside of the tubes. Some web research suggests that the culprit is incompletely UV cured 3D print resin on the inside of the tubes (where the sun don't shine so to speak). Even with primer covering that material, partially cured 3D print resin apparently can inhibit silicone rubber curing. So, it's taking a while to get these molds into good enough shape to work with. I think the solution is going to be to just work with the innards of these things looking a little on the rough side. I'll wait several days to see if the silicone in those areas will cure up a bit (I think it will, as I had some uncured silicone along the base of the panels where I had used silicone caulk to seal to the mold base - another material that inhibits silicone rubber curing and another lesson learned).

So, again, patience please but we're going to get there (the panel castings look great!)...

Dan

First castings of tubes completed:

IMG_6893_small.jpg

IMG_6894_small.jpg

Very clean on the outsides, but as you can see the problem of the uncured silicone on the interiors when the masters were pulled now leaves some 'noise' on the castings. We're just going to have to live with this as I don't have the time to fix the issue. But they look better in person than here and what you see and focus on is the outside anyway.

So, with that, I'll print four more batches to go with the five completed (and very clean - nearly flawless) panels and offer them up for those that want them. I'll announce the 'go' for reserving your slot next week...

Dan

First castings of tubes completed:

Very clean on the outsides, but as you can see the problem of the uncured silicone on the interiors when the masters were pulled now leaves some 'noise' on the castings. We're just going to have to live with this as I don't have the time to fix the issue. But they look better in person than here and what you see and focus on is the outside anyway.

So, with that, I'll print four more batches to go with the five completed (and very clean - nearly flawless) panels and offer them up for those that want them. I'll announce the 'go' for reserving your slot next week...

Dan

Might it not just be easier to cast the two rings and the tube, then glue some plastic rods or even wooden dowels between them?

I still want one:)

Might it not just be easier to cast the two rings and the tube, then glue some plastic rods or even wooden dowels between them?

I still want one:)

In retrospect, if I had known at the time that I might be thinking of casting these for others, then yes. :) But I modeled the full tubes as I saw them with the intent of one-off prints only for myself. I used those prints as my masters for the molds I'm working with now. I have to clean those up again after molding to get rid of the uncured silicone. An extra step for me but worth it if it helps others get to have a panel as well. :)

What I'm going to do for those who want to buy the full panel and tubes sets is to also include the .STL files for the tubes so you can print your own if the cast tubes are not quite as clean as you'd like.

Dan

The run is going live finally!

IMG_7038_small.jpg

I've got nine panels done, with six sets of tubes to go with six of the panels (my hero version in work next to them here at the bottom is just for me!). Unfortunately, I won't be doing any more casting of the tubes - the molds are just not up to it. The panel mold on the other hand is doing great and I'll do more casts of that in a few weeks if there is interest beyond what we have here.

SO, I'll begin taking orders for these. As I mentioned above, I'll provide the .STL files for the tubes to everyone who orders and you can print your own if (1) you're unsatisfied with the casts you receive or (2) you order just the panel with no cast tubes. If you're interested in just the panel please hold off a bit until I clear out the sets that come with tubes. I'll prioritize these first orders for those that want the full set. The panel-only version will be discounted down from $125 to $100 and will include those .STL files for the tubes. I'll be shipping via USPS priority mail and the pricing around the country is telling me to charge $30 for shipping to cover all my packaging and shipping expenses.

READ THIS ESPECIALLY

This posting is a heads up to give everyone a fair chance at getting an order in. I'll actually record orders starting at 15:00 MDT Friday 12 August (tomorrow). To order just PM me any time after 15:00 MDT tomorrow your interest in one of the options below. No payment for now until I actually ship - I'll let you know (it'll be Tuesday next week probably). I'll fill up the order queue in the order PMs come in and when full we'll be done until I can cast more panels. You have to PM me - posting here with "I'll take one" won't count - just my way of giving everyone a chance to see the update before the limited number of castings are gone. I'll update here and in the top/original posting with the queue order and progress.

Option 1 - panel and tubes set + tubes .STL files ($125 + $30 shipping = $155 USD total)

1. enaswede - paid and shipped
2. timw1031 - paid and shipped
3. russellsch - paid and shipped
4. cdyoung - paid and shipped
5. lmc3 - paid and shipped
6. (Desert Rat)

Option 2 - panel + tubes .STL files ($100 + $30 shipping = $130 USD total)

1. mgoob - paid and shipped
2. TatooineMachine - paid and shipped
3. propmaker3000 - paid and shipped

Wait List

Thanks, all, for the interest in these! I hope you're going to like them. The panel castings are really nice - sharp with good detail and no blemishes.

IMG_7042_small.jpg

The rear side has cast hollows to reduce weight and needed resin.

IMG_7043_small.jpg

I cast the panels in red and the tubes in light gray to help reduce the amount of primer/paint coverage you need. Very important, though - you'll want to give these a good soap and water washing before you try to paint or you may run into some paint adhesion issues on the resin. Do a first light test spray in a small corner area to check that the paint is coating and sticking nicely and not bubbling or clumping. If that looks good then paint away!

Here's my hero piece in progress - I'll be happy to post details on the paint and pin striping etc. if anyone has questions...

IMG_6995_small.jpg

compare_hero_small.jpg

Dan

Last edited:
So $30 shipping is for shipping to EU too? And are those gray inserts and white rims made of some stickers of some sort?

So $30 shipping is for shipping to EU too? And are those gray inserts and white rims made of some stickers of some sort?

I have not yet checked shipping outside the US but I'll work with you offline to find a good solution. (y)

The various white(ish) inserts vary from panel to panel, scene to scene. In some scenes they are obviously the same sort of reflective tape as used on the training remote, but in others it might be simple white or gray tape. Here on mine I've just used white and gray vinyl tape because I had it handy. The pin stripes are Chartpak 1/16" graphic tape, black and white (matte). The black portions behind the tubes are gaffer tape (in the hero screenshot you can even see the pyro charges and wires under the tape). You can choose your own red, but I used Rustoleum Apple Red (satin).

Dan

Good job so far! But the small and the right large tube should be a little conical right? Are the two greeblees above the two big tubes included?

Good job so far! But the small and the right large tube should be a little conical right? Are the two greeblees above the two big tubes included?

Thanks!

I do not see the tubes as conical in this and most other versions of this panel. There is the one scene (mouse droid) where there's indeed a version with one of the tubes having a significant step down, but in the other scenes including the detention block arrival they all look straight cylindrical to me. So that's how I modeled them. There's even a version with three different size tubes. So lots of variety in sizing and placement of things.

panel_screencap_02_inset.jpg

panel_screencap_04_inset.jpg

panel_screencap_03_inset.jpg

And not every panel appears to have the two extra knob greeblies between the small tube and the one big tube. Again, I'm going for the detention block arrival scene hero shot version and I just picked two knobs out of my collection of leftovers that kinds sorta look like what I see in the screencap. But, no - those are not included in the 'kits' - I'll leave that to you to pick for yourself if you decide to do so. Again, with so many varieties of these panels there is a lot of room for personalizing yours...

Dan

(Edited to add - If the found parts really were needle or roller bearings, and given what has been discussed here and what I've seen since that mention I do believe that’s the case, then I wouldn't expect these to be tapered anyway.)

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back