David Ayer's Bright (Post-release)

How does the old saying go?......You make a movie twice, once in filming and the other in editing'. I think the editing was bad. So it was meh, lost the wife half way through but I finished it.

I think they could have expanded a little on how we got to this point where elves and orcs live with us humans.

Last edited:
This one was a head scratcher for me, I was just thankful I didn't go and spend money at the theater to see this. Joel Edgerton was the only good thing in the movie, I can see the concept but it just didn't come together for me.

How does the old saying go?......You make a movie twice, once in filming and the other in editing'. I think the editing was bad. So it was meh, lost the wife half way through but I finished it.

I think they could have expanded a little on how we got to this point where elves and orcs live with us humans.

I enjoyed it but like you I thought that they really could have used some more back story. Normally I'm ok with back story being told in dialogue throughout the show/movie but for this movie I really felt that they should have created a sequence where we see this big battle and the Dark Lord and really establish to the audience that Orcs and Elves have been always been a part of the world.

Exactly. Like they have always lived on earth but in another dimension/reality/plane of existence. The first nuclear bomb shattered the veil allowing all four species to be on the same plane of existence. Or their world was brought here through Nazi experimentation like in the beginning of Hell Boy. Large numbers migrated here for various reasons. Orcs came here for a better life, Elves came here to prosper and the Fairies stowed away in a crate of bananas like an invasive species.

It said that "the Dark Lord" was defeated 2000 years ago, so I don't think the atomic bombs or Nazis brought two worlds together, it's always been one and the same reality.
It's more like Middle Earth that has evolved to current era in a very "earthly" way, culture wise.
The more I think about it, the more I want more stories to explore that world ! This should have been a TV show, could have been a decent placeholder for GoT. Instead of filling the gap with medieval fantasy, modern fantasy would have been a refreshing and exciting change ! Something like 8 quality episodes per season, no fillers, a couple episodes of flashbacks to the Dark Lord defeat and so on. Though I don't know if Will Smith is down to go back to TV, and if so, it would probably take the budget of a whole procedural TV show just for his paycheck...

...I got it was because he was a human bright and the others were the more common elves

That's what I figured as well, but I was thinking it could also be different "elements" that a Bright can harness...like fire, ice, electricity, water...

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back