Darth Vader Helmet with 1 tone paint job?

Totally agree with Mac. Lighting makes all the difference in how your Vader appears. It was for this reason that when I ordered my DU armor and bucket I had bookface do a darker gunmetal for both. In bright sunlight the gunmetal shows up just fine

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums...efbbc4c7ca411b4668a48692104d1_zps774511e4.jpg

This was a particularly challenging concept for me, as the needs of costumers differ from those of us who come from the prop accuracy side of the hobby. We die-hard Vader nuts try to analyze the color and tone of the original paint, yet we don't really replicate the ambient conditions of the filming set for the paint to play off of. I've argued with 501st members on the definition of screen accuracy before I realized they wanted a more "slam-dunk" look that worked both indoors and outdoors. This exceeded my comfort zone, being a longtime RPFer and The Prop Den member. But there was indeed a legitimate need.

Bookface and I thus agreed on a darker tone, and this was the result of that discussion:

bust8_zps0d98e9cf.jpg

Again, for ROTJ fans, please recall that the set had a lot of black (off camera, and the floor). You have overhead lighting that causes the armor to reflect more brightly, and the mask was picking up a lot of black from everywhere. Add on top of it the overall darker exposure and the Special Edition giving everything a weird high contrast treatment (to where skin tones didn't look right), you have your perception of a near-black Vader which, fundamentally, I argue is incorrect. But I'll concede to a darker Vader for costuming needs!

Personally, I'm a fan screen accuracy in terms of how it appears or supposed to appear on screen as opposed to how it appears in person, that's why I have no problems with the symmetrical Vader & Stormtrooper buckets. I like my props and costumes to appear as they did on screen (big or small) or at least how I perceived them to be and never really cared for how they appeared in person, but that's just me and I realize that I'm probably in the minority here for being that way.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back