Darth Vader ANH Helmet Paint Scheme

JoeR

Sr Member
I have an ANH helmet coming and want to get it as movie accurate as possible.

Does anyone know what the best paints to use are (I am UK based)? I am going to take it to an auto shop.

Any help would be apreciated.

Cheers

Joe

It's an interesting one with the ANH helmet as in order to be truly movie accurate, the gun metal grey at least would have to be hand painted.

But - for a better quality finish a professional auto shop is a great idea as they have the right tools to achieve a perfect finish.

Colours would be Gloss Black and Gunmetal Grey - I have used a few different shades of gunmetal, lighter and darker shades. The auto shop should have some colour charts for you to choose from, I think.

Originally posted by ob1al@Mar 25 2006, 05:41 PM
It's an interesting one with the ANH helmet as in order to be truly movie accurate, the gun metal grey at least would have to be hand painted.

But - for a better quality finish a professional auto shop is a great idea as they have the right tools to achieve a perfect finish.

Colours would be Gloss Black and Gunmetal Grey - I have used a few different shades of gunmetal, lighter and darker shades. The auto shop should have some colour charts for you to choose from, I think.
[snapback]1213065[/snapback]​

Thanks for the info Al.

Interesting about the hand painting, I didn't know that. Have you got any good screenshots?

Joe

Here's a pic from a thread a while back:

ANH-Duel-Helmet-Neck.jpg

I agree the best match is hand painting the face for the real ANH look.

I use Duplicolor medium metallic grey on mine.

Can anyone comment on whether the gunmetal grey was a Mercedes Benz '70s gunmetal grey color? I've heard that rumor floating around somewhere... maybe on this forum. Can that be cooperated or is it just that... a rumor?

Good luck with the ANH helmet and getting it painted. Can't wait to see pictures of the finished item once you've had it painted in the familiar ANH paint scheme.

Have fun :thumbsup

Cool, don't forget pics.

I'd suggest doing the paintwork yourself, spray the gloss black but don't lacquer it, (as per Darth Jones' I believe) then brush paint the gunmetal. A few scuffs and scratches wouldn't hurt either for ANH in my opinion :)

Too many ANH repros look lovely - but too gloosy and smooth, nobody worries about weathering, chipping and scraping ANH trooper buckets but I haven't seen anyone go to town on an ANH Vader helmet like this :D

Jeremy

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back