Darktrooper Progress Thread update: 4/7/13

Re: Darktrooper Progress Thread

Was that a hard pep to do. Also do you have the pep file if you don't mind me asking. On the 405th they use pepakura like crazy.

Keep up the good work.

Gordon

very nice work! Are you planning on using transparent red lenses or red mirrored lenses?

Just transparent right now. hmm..Ive never thought of mirrored ones. Im actually throwing around the idea of putting a small strip of red LEDs on the top inside similar to how RC helmets are, to give it a glowing affect

Last edited:

Was that a hard pep to do. Also do you have the pep file if you don't mind me asking. On the 405th they use pepakura like crazy.

Keep up the good work.

Gordon

The helmet pep? Yes, I do still have it, save in a PDF file. Difficult, yes, to a degree.

Thanks!

Just an update. I know it's been awhile, but been more busy then usual.

I had originally set a goal of completion for dragon con '09, but I am going to most likely have to change this to even sooner OR later.

The reason being, is that lately, I have been talking with National Guard recruiters about joinning the SMP (Simultaneous Membership Program) since I have already been in ROTC for soon to be 2 years now. What this will mean, is that I will be going to basic over the summer. From what I have been told by others who've done this already, is that they get back almost literally the weekend just before fall classes start up. From what I remember, D*Con happened the weekend just after classes started.

Because of this, I cannot say whether or not I'll be able to finnish by then.

Are you planning on lighting up your jet pack also? Amazing work buddy! Very inspiring!

I could I guess, I never thought about that to be honest lol

Alright, well after another long time gap of no progress, I am getting back to it. I began by fiberglassing the paper chest piece I had made. I think the biggest thing for me is having to decide how I am going to go about making and choosing what materials to use.

But, due to monetary confines, I will not be molding these pieces. I will be using the paper base for the final chest. I am fiberglassing it, resining it (brushing resin on the outside for added strength) and then bondo, sand repeat, until it's where I want it to be. I may be brusing in casting resin on the inside, over the fiberglass for added strength, as well as for a smoother interior surface.

The helmet, I tried fiberglassing the weaker parts that I needed to go over, but the resin hasn't cured, and I dont' know why..I've added more then enough hardner...I think I may just attach some foam inserts, no more expanding foam!

As for the rest of the suit, I am going to have to get pre-fabricated clone parts, as I've mentioned before. I thought about making them through the same paper method, but looking at the models, the base poly's and whatnot, it is not shaped right and will not work, and would require significant modifications to make it anywhere near where it needs to be. For the shins...I am thinking about using TK style, but will be heavily modded.

-TC

Got some more work done on the arm vac-form bucks. I'm going to try and get these ready so I can get them sent out to be formed in ABS. I finished shaping the bottom forearm piece, so I may just go back over with some sanding sealer and primer. I also went and drilled the air holes in the upper forearm buck, and tested it out with my vaccum, and I feel it will work fairly well. On top of that, I went back, and wet-sanded the sides, from where I had used the Durham's putty. I noticed that on my first decent pull of the forearms, that I had achieved the high detail of the un-eveness of the sides. I did that with both.

Added bondo to the bicep bucks too, one of them is about 90% done, about 99% after I sand it all down. So thats the current status as of now. I'm throwing in a pic of the chest piece..still need to finish fiberglassing though, just so messy!!

004-46.jpg

005-37.jpg

-TC

I've never heard of a Darktrooper before, but whatever it is, you sure are making it look awesome! Can't wait to see the finished product!

638px-DarkTrooper_egtd.png

Can't wait to see it finished. Kudos to you for taking on such a challenging project(y)thumbsup

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it!

I'm planning to make some serious head-way in the upcomming future...going to try to finnish the actual armor first, then go to the jetpack and helmet.

Want to try and finnish fiberglassing the chest and back armor pieces today, hopefully

well, I've managed to get the right size for the shoulder bells..however, after finally finishing the fiberglass work for the chest...it turns out to be too wide...I'm trying to figure out what I can do to mod it, so it will fit better, but worst case is that I'll have to make a smaller one, starting over again..

Got some more work on the sculpt last night, started to focus on the lower face area. If you compare, I've narrowed both sides of the upside down "U" shape, and have begun sculpting the greeblie in the middle. Unfortunatly, the greeblie detail from my references is only clear enough on the top portion, while everything below that is just "black" and any detail lines are non-existant or noticable. Because of this, I'm forced to interperete the rest of it, so I cannot say that this piece will be accurate. It still needs alot of clean up work though, and I'm thinking about making this a seperate piece until I make the final mold.

002-74.jpg

003-65.jpg

Just a side profile to get a better feel of the shapes

007-37.jpg

-TC

TC, IMO the teeth don´t look good like that. I´d say go for the traditional stormie look. If you have to interpolate/improvise/take artistic freedom then you´d better make it consistent with what had already been established in a similar design. And the DT is undeniably a progression in the stormy design.
At the moment the teeth look like a spider´s mandibles, I personally find that a little odd.

Otherwise it´s looking better everytime you post the wip !!!

Michael

TC, IMO the teeth don´t look good like that. I´d say go for the traditional stormie look. If you have to interpolate/improvise/take artistic freedom then you´d better make it consistent with what had already been established in a similar design. And the DT is undeniably a progression in the stormy design.
At the moment the teeth look like a spider´s mandibles, I personally find that a little odd.

Otherwise it´s looking better everytime you post the wip !!!

Michael

Thanks for your input...as far as the teeth, I'm only trying to match the game's look. If I were to make it more like a regular TK, I think it would start to deviate from how the Darktrooper looks. IMO, although similar to a TK, the exaggerated teeth/mouth, chin grill and eyes give it a unique look, therefore, I don't want to make it look too much like a regular TK

Well no molding pics yet, but I wanted to show how I'm prepping this. I cut out the sections where the areators are. I can't have it flat for obviouse reasons, but I'm thinking now that I should have left those sections closed for molding (Ooops..)

Anyways, some things I just can't smooth out as I like, but these things will be fixed once I get the first cast made. I'm going to make a rotocast helmet for the transition/master. This will allow me to have a strong sturdy base to work with while still allowing me the freedom of making adjustments as I need. I am most likely going to switch the type of clay I'm using though, cause it's not adhearing to anything!

As you can see, I also removed the chin greeblie. I want this portion to be as smooth as possible for the transition cast. It was really difficult to get the back section as smooth and clean looking as I wanted, so thats the purpose for removing it now. I will be adding it on for the final master.

113.jpg

114.jpg

I took this picture, because I really wanted to show how much I'm emphasizing on details, despite the 3D model being flat, I really used my references from my FX TK helmet. I really think that it brings a sense of more realism to it then just a video game.

115.jpg

-TC

Just one more update for tonight, I originially was just going to slap on the decal details, either pre-made ones or hand painted. I first tried to sculpt those sections out, but to no avail.

Despite my first failed attempt, I want to get that TK look going, so I went at it again, and managed to pull it off well IMO. All the trapazoids and "tear" drop details are now physically sculpted in.

119.jpg

120.jpg

The back looks wide, but using my reference, it is actually this wide apart

121.jpg

Thats it for now, thanks!

-TC

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back