Could "Dark Knight Rises" be crap?...I'm just sayin!

I remember seeing the first photos from Thor and thinking the costumes looked like rubbish. However, when they were actually on screen and in motion, they looked a bit more natural and I hardly gave them a second thought. So, I'm hoping this will be the case with the Catwoman/Bane suits...

Honestly, I'd say hang in there, Nolan's been making good films so far not saying everybody shares the same opinion, but I would could agree he did a commendable job in satisfying both the hardcore comic crowd as well as the general movie going publicly in terms of taking it more seriously-

Who would've thought Ledger made a good joker before any of the stuff started leaking? I, for one, was picturing Chris BenGlover (sp?) or someone like that, if you had told me Ledger (RIP) was going to be Nightwing or something, I wouldve said eh, I could see it, but look how good it turned out.

I agree the selection of Bane (especially given his last on camera appearance p.u.! lol) is a bit odd, one would think the Riddler or a modern day Nolan style Penguin would be next in line, but for whatever reason, Nolan prob had something cool in store for "his" Bane interpretation ("his interpretation" being key here- probably more depth than the comic version but we'll just have to see), I'm thinking merely guessing that he's going to infuse concepts of The Mutant leader from Miller's Dark Knight Returns graphic novel and a few other things but that's just a hunch. Though you could just as easily be right- maybe they're due for a tomatoe. Who knows?

I also would think that a return of Ra's Al Ghul- you know introduce the lazarus pit after the train wreck etc. that would be the natural succession of his story because no matter what villain they get they run the risk of coming off, to some of the more "novice" level batfans anyway, as if they're just tryiing to replace Ledger. You know, another, even more wild over the top villain as if fans would forget Ledger's Joker.

With that said, I scratch my head at Bane, but I think this movie is going to be more about Batman- I would've liked to see a return of Ra's Al Ghul- the origin story in this trilogy, being that this is being billed as the "Final chapter"...but he must have something in mind.

I just hope the story is good as to escape the campy "who's the next Batman movie villain" approach we saw in the mid to late 90's that nearly killed the franchise after Burton left the project. You know, squeezing the A list stars into roles that take away not only from the movie like some dark/campy hybrid but from the star of the film itself, Bats.

However, Nolan's been good so far, lets give him the benefit of the doubt, with Marvel putting out this many movies as of recent, doubt they'd put out a stinker to go up against The Avengers, but what do I know?

You may be right but eh, Nolan deserves benefit of the doubt- I think the poster above said it best- temper expectations then you're pleasantly suprised. I to, am skeptical, but Nolan been good if not great so far, so I'm just going to keep an open mind.

Last edited:
i have always found the nolan films to be overrated? the plots are terrible and i feel like they last forever i mean when i saw the dark knight in cinema i remember checking my watch after the hospital scene to see when it would be finished.... also Nolan so called realism was a bad idea from the start Batman is a fictional character and he does not need to be brought into the real world, i missed the comic book cartoony feel that burtons movies had. keatons performance as a convincing Batman and jack nicholson's performance as an accurate comic book Joker not some phsyco in make up!. i have little hope for the dark knight rises as well its gonna be full of long scenes a lot of explosions and some bad dialog. what really annoys me is when the next Batman reboot pops up Nolan claims to keep a sharp eye on the next director which i find stupid as he had his turn give someone else a chance you dont see burton telling nolan he cant do his movies like that so screw it!...

It would be nice if this film was the generic "superhero beats badguy" film. I know that how it works in the comics but it would be nice to see a change up. obviously rises wont leave a cliffhanger ending

The only Batman films I like are the ones with the Joker. Just love that character.

That said, I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised. :)

What bothers me is they have Batman fighting Bane in broad daylight. At least that's how it seems from he pics and previews I've seen. Batman should not be outside during the day. PERIOD. Unless we're 1966 Adam West Batman, then it's all good.
Mike

What bothers me is they have Batman fighting Bane in broad daylight. At least that's how it seems from he pics and previews I've seen. Batman should not be outside during the day. PERIOD. Unless we're 1966 Adam West Batman, then it's all good.
Mike

Yeah that bugs me too, also Bats disappearing for EIGHT years after basically just getting started bothers me more.

Mike

Batman has been out during the day in the comics too.

Okay with literally just a few days to opening I will say this:

I've liked and not liked this series on Batman-lemme explain.....

The good is this is honest to God the BEST Batman telling to date,the '89 film was alright but more of a real life take on the comic/60's version,good but corny.
Batman works very well to my mind as ether a very real character or a dark spooky occult one and the way it's been done is very satisfying.

The bad is Nolan has this OCD streak that makes one bughouse and makes for films that can be amazing but also have some very boring parts-I honestly had a hard time sitting through the Dark Knight back in '08 and really didn't "get" the film until I got it on DVD and sat though it at home.

I seriously didn't walk out of the theater liking the movie,still have some problems with it and can cut about an hour out of it and still enjoy it.

Now Rises....two hours and forty five minutes? I dunno if i wanna subject myself to that! I may bail and wait for the home video rather then blow $7 bucks on a film I'll have to squirm though.

May go watch Spider-Man or something.

I'm not a hater. I love the Batman and the comics. I like the look of the films and the casting. Acting and special effects are great. I also like Chris Nolan and think he will continue to make great films.

Having said that, I'm afraid I was right (in my mind) about DKR. It was very flat for me. Bloated, heavy and just totally uninteresting. Oh, and WAYYY too long. I never understood all the fan-boy love for TDK, but I really LOVED Ledger's performance. One of the best bad guys ever. DKR actually makes TDK better.

Bane was not only nearly impossible to understand speak, he just came off as the ultimate fantasy poster boy for the "Occupy Wall Street" movement, but one that was one dimensional and was really good at punching Batman in the face.

I honestly don't think I'll ever need to re-watch this movie again. At least I saw TDK several times.

It breaks my heart to feel this way. I know I'm in the minority on this one. :)

brad

As they say, You can't shine a turd. You just mearly smear it around, spreading out the mess, making it that much harder to stand or look at.

I'm not a hater. I love the Batman and the comics. I like the look of the films and the casting. Acting and special effects are great. I also like Chris Nolan and think he will continue to make great films.

Having said that, I'm afraid I was right (in my mind) about DKR. It was very flat for me. Bloated, heavy and just totally uninteresting. Oh, and WAYYY too long. I never understood all the fan-boy love for TDK, but I really LOVED Ledger's performance. One of the best bad guys ever. DKR actually makes TDK better.

Bane was not only nearly impossible to understand speak, he just came off as the ultimate fantasy poster boy for the "Occupy Wall Street" movement, but one that was one dimensional and was really good at punching Batman in the face.

I honestly don't think I'll ever need to re-watch this movie again. At least I saw TDK several times.

It breaks my heart to feel this way. I know I'm in the minority on this one. :)

brad

You aren't alone. The movie was terrible.

If you liked the movie, great! But I found it just to be the worst movie I've seen since Attack of the Clones. Bloated. Slow. Dark with no real sense of a build up of tension. And ZERO fun. I never had that "wow!" moment that I've gotten from other Superhero movies.

I said it once and I'll say it again: batman Begins and The Dark Knight were Batman movies. The Dark Knight Rises was just a movie with Batman in it.

:-(

I'm depressed about it. I'm so depressed, I'm gonna go buy the 19$ dollar Mattel Batpod.

On a positive note, Catwoman wasn't THAT bad, and I was worried about her.

One of the highlights of the night for me was the Superman trailer, I kinda like the direction they seem to be going with that! :thumbsup

My beef with the movie (no spoilers):
-Plot was jumping around A LOT for the first 1/3 of the film and took some time to process everything, kinda took away from enjoying the second third of the film.
-Some VERY convenient plot sequences throughout the movie, all of these have been heavily critiqued already.
-Compared to Inception and TDK (my favorite Nolan films), the themes in TDKR just seemed noticeably more shallow and dumbed down.
-None of the action sequences blew me away despite bigger scale and budget, the TDK chase scene with the truck flip still is hands down more jaw-dropping.
-Batman's second fight with Bane was pretty anti-climatic, and seemed wayyy too easy considering the beatdown he got in the first fight.
-The romance between Wayne and Tate was so rushed and lacking in chemistry that the plot twist towards the end did not feel like a massive betrayal.
-EXTREMELY poorly edited sequence with Miranda Tate being in the scene with Wayne and Fox after Bane pulls her in the court room and then Batman asks Gordon where she is after literally JUST SEEING HER. I was wtf until...
-Miranda's final scene... seriously Nolan? This was the best take you could get!? It was comical, and not in a good way.

Aside from those flaws, this is still an incredible film. It was grand and epic, the acting was superb especially Bale and Hathaway (except for Cotillard's last scene lol), the writing despite some flaws was for the most part was what we expect from Nolan's crew, and the film successfully closes the trilogy.

Overall though, I thought TDK was better. I'm looking at both films differently too - TDK was a crime drama, TDKR was an epic society drama similar to revolution-type films. As a crime drama, TDK knocked it out of the park. As a revolution drama, TDKR left a bit to be desired, and if we're going to talk about epicness, sorry to say but Avengers still felt more epic. I don't subscribe to the whole DC vs Marvel debate but I certainly was more entertained and wow'd by Avengers than TDKR, though I appreciate TDKR as a film more.

Ok, ok, so haven't seen DKR yet, but Batman Begins was on TV last night and I watched it. I had actually never seen it, because the Nolan incarnation didn't really strike me as all that interesting. I did see TDK, as most did following Heath Ledger's death. And I have to say, seeing Batman Begins lowered my opinion of TDK, which I already thought was overrated anyways.

You know what just occurred to me? (I loved the movie BTW) It takes 8 years after the events of The Dark Knight, right-- they had such a HUGE set up for Bruce to come back after all these years- and when he finally shows up in costume, on the BatPod it was like an event

I almost feel that this movie should have been made 8 years later. The audience would have had the same reaction as those cops! Like 'oh my god, he's BACK'

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back