Could "Dark Knight Rises" be crap?...I'm just sayin!

Scarecrow was a third tier vilian and he pulled it off so I hope he can make Bane cool for me.

IF Nolan is going to fumble the ball, this is his last chance to do so.

I just saw the first trailer tonite in front of the new Sherlock Holmes.

I know since I started this thread it's gonna sound like I'm just a hater, but I really can't remember the last time I've seen a trailer for a BIG TIME movie like this that was so mediocre.

I can remember some great movies over the years that have had unimpressive trailers, hopefully this is one of them.

I miss Heath Ledger already. :sleep

I haven't really liked any of the movies in this trilogy. I love the gadgets, the vehicles, even the batsuit is okay and I really like Harvey's mutilated face design but the rest of it doesn't feel right and I really didn't like ledger as the joker.

For me, it's more possible everyone will gush and I'll hate it becaue Nolan deviates from the comic lore too much in ways I personally find unacceptable.

yeah, i saw the trailer too.....it definitely was mediocre..... The trailer didnt grab at me, and it didnt really excite me....

I cant wait for the movie to come out though.....

one problemo, I couldnt understand a word Bane was saying.....

Last edited:
Will it be crap? No, I don't think so. I mean, not when you compare it to, say, any Transformers movie, or to yet another Fast & Furious sequel, or to G.I. Joe.

But I have a feeling it'll disappoint a lot of people. Mostly people who've hyped themselves into a frenzy, though. But hey, the same thing happens with iPhone releases.

I too think that, while The Dark Knight was entertaining, it wasn't quite the ZOMGWTFBBQBESTESTMOVIEEVAR!!!111!!! that a lot of people made it out to be. I think much of that had to do with (a) Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker, and (b) Heath Ledger's untimely death following hot on the heels of that film. I also agree with folks who've said that the Dent storyline seemed...too compacted. That's kind of how I felt about the whole film. Was it enjoyable? Yeah. But for all it's running time (wasn't it, like, 2.5 hrs?) it still felt kind of rushed in some ways. It didn't flow the way the first one did.

One may not particularly like the story or portrayals in the first film, but structurally, I felt it just flowed better than the second one. The second one felt less focused and far "busier." This, of course, is the curse of comic book franchise films. The first film is always tightly focused and tells a coherent story. The second one goes "bigger" and while remaining entertaining, feels....like it's getting a little crowded. The third one goes "even biggerer" and usually falls apart under its own weight.

And while everyone may say "BUTNOLANISTEHBESTESTDIRECTOREVAR!!!!111!!", frankly, I think he's good, but he's oversold by his fans. I've enjoyed some of his films. And I respect that he doesn't just make the same old schlock. But people who enjoy his films treat them as if they're the second coming and they just aren't.

I heard people RAVE about Memento for ages before I watched it. Then I watched it and, while it was interesting, it was...just a backwards story. Neat concept and well executed, but...um....that's it. "But DUDE! It's BACKWARDS!!!" Yeah, I got that part. Neat. Is that it, then?

Ultimately, I think Nolan's films work best when people don't know much about them going in and haven't heard much. I heard WAY too much about Memento before I saw it, and thought "What a piece of crap!" (Which really was me just saying "Well, THAT didn't live up to all the hype...") I went into Inception not having seen a single trailer, but having heard about the concept of the film VERY briefly, and thought "Cool film! I liked it."

The Batman films are doubly difficult because they're a franchise, so you already have preconceived notions and expectations. As a result, I think it's doubly hard to avoid the inevitable hype.

If it doesn't have Michale Keaton and a Batmobile that looks like a giant black penis I'm not going to see it...

Will it be crap? No, I don't think so. I mean, not when you compare it to, say, any Transformers movie, or to yet another Fast & Furious sequel, or to G.I. Joe.

But I have a feeling it'll disappoint a lot of people. Mostly people who've hyped themselves into a frenzy, though. But hey, the same thing happens with iPhone releases.

I too think that, while The Dark Knight was entertaining, it wasn't quite the ZOMGWTFBBQBESTESTMOVIEEVAR!!!111!!! that a lot of people made it out to be. I think much of that had to do with (a) Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker, and (b) Heath Ledger's untimely death following hot on the heels of that film. I also agree with folks who've said that the Dent storyline seemed...too compacted. That's kind of how I felt about the whole film. Was it enjoyable? Yeah. But for all it's running time (wasn't it, like, 2.5 hrs?) it still felt kind of rushed in some ways. It didn't flow the way the first one did.

One may not particularly like the story or portrayals in the first film, but structurally, I felt it just flowed better than the second one. The second one felt less focused and far "busier." This, of course, is the curse of comic book franchise films. The first film is always tightly focused and tells a coherent story. The second one goes "bigger" and while remaining entertaining, feels....like it's getting a little crowded. The third one goes "even biggerer" and usually falls apart under its own weight.

And while everyone may say "BUTNOLANISTEHBESTESTDIRECTOREVAR!!!!111!!", frankly, I think he's good, but he's oversold by his fans. I've enjoyed some of his films. And I respect that he doesn't just make the same old schlock. But people who enjoy his films treat them as if they're the second coming and they just aren't.

I heard people RAVE about Memento for ages before I watched it. Then I watched it and, while it was interesting, it was...just a backwards story. Neat concept and well executed, but...um....that's it. "But DUDE! It's BACKWARDS!!!" Yeah, I got that part. Neat. Is that it, then?

Ultimately, I think Nolan's films work best when people don't know much about them going in and haven't heard much. I heard WAY too much about Memento before I saw it, and thought "What a piece of crap!" (Which really was me just saying "Well, THAT didn't live up to all the hype...") I went into Inception not having seen a single trailer, but having heard about the concept of the film VERY briefly, and thought "Cool film! I liked it."

The Batman films are doubly difficult because they're a franchise, so you already have preconceived notions and expectations. As a result, I think it's doubly hard to avoid the inevitable hype.

Yeah, this is where I stand too...you've made some great points

I don't mean "crap" like Transformers "crap...:)

Check this out...

Insiders Worried About Understanding Bane in 'The Dark Knight Rises' | FirstShowing.net

I know a lot of people complained about Batman having a silly voice, this sounds (pun) even worse.

I don't think it will be crap. But there's a few things going against it. First of all, two of the best Batman enemies are used up, and the third will be played by Anne Hathaway. And Chris Nolan is not always the greatest director ever. Memento was great, and so was the Prestige, but Insomnia was a mediocre attempt at redoing the Norwegian original (which had Stellan Skarsgaard in the lead, and Pacino just couldn't match his performance.) The Dark Knight started out pretty slow, and I was just about to say it was the dullest movie ever, when it suddenly picked up the pace, and I realized that I had started to care about the characters. And I ended up loving it. Inception was very successful in being quite 'dreamy' , while still keeping to all the rules stated in the movie.
The one thing all the good Nolan movies do share are great actors, so with both Hardy, Bale and Oldman (if he gets to be more in this movie, I've really missed him in the two first tbh) on the team, I'm sure he can pull it off decently. As many have said, lots of people will be dissapointed, but then again there are people out there who liked the Clooney film, and though Keaton looked cool in the batsuit...

I'm confident it won't be a good movie. I didn't care much for Batman Begins or Dark Knight, so I have little hope for DKR.

I just don't get what folks see in the Nolan Batman movies. Yeah, I'll give ya the stellar performance by Heath Ledger (although why the changes to the Joker's history?!?) and even Aaron Eckhart did a decent job. But, the Scarecrow in the first movie... not sure what anyone was thinking with that non-threat of a villain. The lifeless and dull Bruce Wayne just drained out the idea of a playboy millionaire - Christian Bale can't act happy if his life depended on it (I can't believe he won an Oscar).

I could go on about the Bat-voice, the Bat-Tumbler, Bat-Ninja, and Bat-Maggie Gyllenhall and how they all sucked the Bat-life out of me.

...Ok, Gary Oldman's Jim Gordon was also exceptional in all three films. He out acted Bale without trying.

I'm quite satisfied with Bales performance, but it's hard to not think 'Bateman' instead of 'Batman' every time he's in a suit :p
Just a thought, with Bale, Caine and Oldman in all three movies, Murphy and Neeson in the first, Ledger in the second and Hardy in the third, you can start wondering if some of the fans just don't like the un-american-ness of the movies. (which tbh is probably a good reason why I like them) Batman is an american hero, so that could be part of the problem.
As for Bales Bat-voice I don't get why it's a problem, I would do the same if I were Wayne, and the tumbler sure as hell made a lot more sense for a crimefighter than driving what is purely a showcar (like all other iterations). It may kill some of the awesomeness factor, but Batman was always a more serious and realistic 'superhero' to me. But why can't Oldman get more screentime :( And why waste such an incredible villain actor on Jim Gordon....

I'm quite satisfied with Bales performance, but it's hard to not think 'Bateman' instead of 'Batman' every time he's in a suit :p
Just a thought, with Bale, Caine and Oldman in all three movies, Murphy and Neeson in the first, Ledger in the second and Hardy in the third, you can start wondering if some of the fans just don't like the un-american-ness of the movies. (which tbh is probably a good reason why I like them) Batman is an american hero, so that could be part of the problem.
Ya know, never even thought about the "un-American-ness" of the Nolan Batman films until you mentioned it. How that would affect anyone's thoughts about those movies is totally beyond me, absurd and bordering on prejudice.

Frankly, the rest of your opinion became less than moot based on the fact that you're endorsing (cough) "un-American-ness." That's just foolishness.

Ya know, never even thought about the "un-American-ness" of the Nolan Batman films until you mentioned it. How that would affect anyone's thoughts about those movies is totally beyond me, absurd and bordering on prejudice.

Frankly, the rest of your opinion became less than moot based on the fact that you're endorsing (cough) "un-American-ness." That's just foolishness.

I hope that didn't come out as meaning Un-American as in against American ways, or un-patriotic.
I meant it only as far as movie making goes. Americans might not be as used to British movies and British movie making as we Europeans are. And I think there is a huuuge difference. Most Americans have seen James Bond, but that's about as American as British movies get.
As an example, in younger years most detective and crimes shows I watched were British, and later I've watched a lot more American series, and there's a huge difference in character portrayal, and on what is focused on to make it exciting.
For instance, in a classic British Crime story, the murderer is mostly revealed at the end, but in for example CSI, the murderer is often caught right at the beginning, and the rest of the episode focuses on getting the evidence to prove he did it.
And I meant I love the Nolan Batman movies because they seem like British movies :p I have been overdosed by 'Hollywood' I think :p
Edit: I should maybe have said 'Un-Hollywood-ish' instead of 'Un_American'...
Edit2: And I didn't mention Hauer or Wilkinson in the other post, I'm ashamed of myself...

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back