Could "Dark Knight Rises" be crap?...I'm just sayin!

Yeah, it could be crap, but I doubt it will turn out that way.
It all depends on what he does with the scripted story IMO.

I could care less about the casting choices until I see them onscreen and in character.

The only role I felt should have been handled by another (or other) actress(es) was Rachel Dawes.

How many people thought Heath Ledger cast as the Joker would be terrible, until they saw it?

I don't think I am going to underestimate Nolan. He is a great storyteller and brings out the best in people.

Ok I have to chime in on this.......

Chris N is a genius and he will not make TDKR crappy.....look at what he did to the franchise.......

He took a dying movie screen character and gave us a REAL BATMAN

HE did it again in The Dark Knight.

Have faith people he will not lead us astray....I can promise that at the end of the movie fan boys every where will be wanting more, leaving the theater crying.

Hmmmm,

I got the total opposite. He took all the great Batman films and turned them into some new crappy ones. None of his movies scream Batman at all.

Some bad actor with a grunting voice running around Chicago in motocross gear, driving stupid looking military vehicles that don't in any way ressemble a bat.

They may as well throw a bad actress in there to help take away from Bales crappy performance. Hey, while were at it, lets have Batman out in broad daylight, in a huge fake looking massive crown brawl yet no one seems to even care that he's there.

Also, why would the military design the Tumbler (which was made for jumping ravines to create bridges) with a motorcycle built into the front of it?

The old movies, Batmans BAT vehicles were designed this way. Bales un-BATman just used a pre existing military concept vehicle and painted it black. Of course it is now gone from a concept vehicle to where there are now a bunch of them out there. Wouldn't someone get the hint on who un-BATman would be seeing as he had one too?

This movie is going to stink just as the first two did. Chicagos Caped Motocross guy has pretty much beaten the life out of the Batman name in my book. But hey, Bale killed the Terminator franchise too so why stop there. LOL.

I'll wait until is hits Netflix free streaming before I give Nolan any more of my money.

I have to say, i have never understood what people are seeing in Nolans Batman films.

They are good, and worth a watch, but frankly a little dull.

Non of his villians seem to offer any real resistnace to batman. Heath acted very well as the joker, but the charater was pretty empty. he was just a nutter who didint really want anything much at all.

I think it was only a matter of time before the Nolan movies began to soften to sell to a younger and younger audience. Catwoman is an awful idea. She looks awful too! If they were going to do Catwoman they should have gotten some unknown with a real 'look' to her.

So will it be crappy? probably not. Nolan doesnt make crappy films. You might like them or not, but they are seldom "crappy'.

It will likely be meh, unless you are a 13 year old boy, in which case it will be ace!

God I wish I was 13 again... ;)

weequay

"Begins" was really meh, so I think there's a fair chance. I'm gonna assume TDK was a wonderful fluke, like Spiderman 2 being sandwiched between mediocre 1 and unwatchable 3. Or X-men 2 following a by-the-numbers 1 and preceding an oh-what-could-have-been 3.

I for one loved TDK and how Nolan made a costumed crusader more realistic. I loved the Keaton Batman flicks but Clooney and Kilmer...yuck. IMHO Those were hokey and over the top. i am a little bummed it wasnt filmed in Chicago just because I think it's cool to live near "Gotham City" lol. It could go either way with this flick but I'll wait to pass judgement till I see it for myself. Because really that's all we can do right now.

Hmmmm,

I got the total opposite. He took all the great Batman films and turned them into some new crappy ones. None of his movies scream Batman at all.

Some bad actor with a grunting voice running around Chicago in motocross gear, driving stupid looking military vehicles that don't in any way ressemble a bat.

They may as well throw a bad actress in there to help take away from Bales crappy performance. Hey, while were at it, lets have Batman out in broad daylight, in a huge fake looking massive crown brawl yet no one seems to even care that he's there.

Also, why would the military design the Tumbler (which was made for jumping ravines to create bridges) with a motorcycle built into the front of it?

The old movies, Batmans BAT vehicles were designed this way. Bales un-BATman just used a pre existing military concept vehicle and painted it black. Of course it is now gone from a concept vehicle to where there are now a bunch of them out there. Wouldn't someone get the hint on who un-BATman would be seeing as he had one too?

This movie is going to stink just as the first two did. Chicagos Caped Motocross guy has pretty much beaten the life out of the Batman name in my book. But hey, Bale killed the Terminator franchise too so why stop there. LOL.

I'll wait until is hits Netflix free streaming before I give Nolan any more of my money.

This.

Whatever that thing is, it is NOT the Batmobile.

While The Dark Knight was better than its predecessors, I'm one to think it is HIGHLY overrated. I still think Christian Bale's guttural Batman voice (as opposed to his regular Bruce Wayne speaking voice) is awful. Just awful.

The Dent/Two-Face storyline played out pretty awfully. For the first half of the movie, it seemed like Two-Face wouldn't appear until the next movie. Then he's there, and then he's dead. I really feel that character arc was mishandled.

There were so many false endings that towards the end, I just wanted the movie to be over.

I agree - and I also realize that I am in the minority of many moviegoers. I liked Ledger's performance a lot, but other than that was not a big fan of the film - especially Bale's performance.

I loved Bane in the comics (I know many didn't). Based on the early things I am seeing on the net, however, I have serious doubts about the new film. I'll reserve judgement until it's actually released though. Nothing I hate more than people who review films they have never seen, so I won't be one of them.

I'm sorry, but after Inception, I have, as a filmgoer, to question Nolan's actions and decisions. He started strong with both Memento and Insomnia. The big reason why was because he gave you characters you could sympathize with, even put yourself in their shoes. He gave us characters to care about. And the stories, as well as their presentation, were interesting (especially that U-Shaped timeline presentation of Memento and watching the film chronologically is just as dramatic and heartbreaking. Insomnia's story was straight forward, but still rather interesting to watch). With Batman Begins, being able to care slowly began to waiver and not so great story began to insert itself. I forgave it, because of the fact that it was a big budgeted movie that the studio was backing and that DC Comics (whose run in the theaters was slowly falling apart while Marvel products had a big boom) was running their property with an iron fist. Saw The Dark Knight and began to notice the trend had gotten worse (seriously, the only interesting thing was with the Joker, and kinda made me wish that Nolan had just focused on the Joker for the whole film, because he was interesting, compelling and you actually could give a damn about him, even with all the terrible things he did). Again, I decided to forgive it, because I believed it was the same reason why the first one wasn't good to me. Then Inception came along. The whole time, I was watching, I was like "Okay, I'm not seeing the hook. Why should I give a damn about these characters?" It was almost as if Nolan said to himself, "F@#k the character development and plot. I want to make a flashy movie." That's not genius.

Genius is able to balance story, character and visuals. Look at Citizen Kane, which is held as the best example of filmmaking. It keeps ending up on a lot of lists of "What films that filmmakers should watch", some of those lists composed by other filmmakers. It was balanced visual, story and character. Inception sacrificed a solid story and character development. I found out I'm not the only one who realized this, as others have noticed the lack of a solid plot and characters that you could actually relate to. What Nolan gave us in Inception was a premise, not a story. And how are we suppose to give a damn about the characters when there's nothing about the characters for us to give a damn about? Even more so with the events that they go through? How can we care about what they go through when what they go through is completely meaningless and without any real stakes involved?

However, as a someone who is interested in filmmaking, I can only applaud Nolan for utilizing more old-school techniques where any other filmmaker would have used CG instead. And the dream device was great as a plot device and as a prop. But that is as far as I could go, and even that is limited, to have any good comments about the film.

Nolan's poor choices in lead actresses, in combination with the weakly developed female roles in the Batman movies has only backed up the possibility that the third time will not be a charm. The definition of insanity is someone repeating the same actions over and over again and expecting a different outcome each time. To believe that Anne Hathaway is going to be a "great Catwoman" is insane, especially with her track record of playing the same type of character in all her films and the combination of Nolan's portrayal of women in his Batman movies.

I'm sorry, but that is how I see it. And from the pictures and cast choices, and comparing it with the first two films, it doesn't give me any hope. If anything, its like Nolan has decided to perform his version of a watered down Michael Mann film, and has decided to do it as a streak.

I know someone is going to disagree with my statements. I know a few of you love Inception and the Batman films Nolan has done, and that a lot of you find Anne Hathaway "hot" and "sexy" and a "great actress." But I figured that if you're going to hate my opinion, you should at least understand my point of view and where I'm coming from before you do.

Of course, I could very well be wrong. What do I know?

quite a bit of stuff
I agree with most of this. Didn't care much for Nolan's Batman... and Inception!?! WTF were people thinking in their love for that movie? No emotional ties in that movie at all... not a character to care for and nothing to pull you into the story. Just some nonsense about a dream inside a dream inside a dream... blah, blah, blah. Dry, dry, dry.

However, I do not agree with your Ann Hathaway comments. I think she's got some talent that goes beyond good looks. YES, the other Nolan Batflicks were had terrible female characters - I hesitate to blame the actresses based on the source material... (not that the male leads were much better).

Nolan's Peanuts had some potential ;)

Seriously?! DiCaprio's character and his issues didn't draw you in?! Inception is the most "took the time to draw you in with character development" sci-fi movie in ages. Emotional ties out the ying yang.

Um, not to derail.

Seriously?! DiCaprio's character and his issues didn't draw you in?! Inception is the most "took the time to draw you in with character development" sci-fi movie in ages. Emotional ties out the ying yang.

Um, not to derail.

Nope. Frankly, I didn't care if he, or everyone else, fell into limbo and had their minds lobotomized in real life.

All it would take for me to hate The Dark Knight Rises is if this were to happen to Catwoman.

attachment.php

Happened to Rachel in TDK. The film proudly shows you that she's tough when she punches the Joker in the gut, but when you grab her by the arm, you can make her stand hopelessly on the edge of certain death even when she has one arm free.

Um, not to derail.
Not at all. As CB2001 stated much more eloquently, I felt no warmth or compassion for any of the characters in Inception.

Likewise with the Nolan Batman movies.... well, in that case there is a history with the characters and hence, a familiarness - so even though the movies might not 'click' or portray those characters in a way that makes them sympathetic - there are years and years of history and feeling of 'knowing them' that might override the blandness of the movie characterization.

Well, I do think they got Jim Gordon right in a few places - I just wish we would see more of the "family man" Jim was from Year One.

And the Joker? That wasn't a character , it was an enigma - and very much brilliant performance by Heath Ledger. We had no backstory, no rationale, not thought behind the character - I'll give you that it worked in this story. Which, in all honesty probably made Ledger's work so much better.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back