COSPLAY Melee on Syfy - First Season

Just watched episode 2, the Game of Thrones challenge, and I think all of the craftsmanship was solid but the actual adherence to the theme was weak. A lot of the pieces ended up feeling more akin to Warcraft or Skyrim. The production design for GoT is pretty true to life. Also didn't appreciate the weird made up fan canon they were coming up with for their characters.

They really don't have much of a choice in the fan canon category, since part of the challenge is to create an OC that fits into the world and all.

Pretty good again....liked the style last week better...as stated a little weak in the GOT area...and I don't even watch it....just have seen a lot of pictures....still looking forward to week 4-6 for or fellow Cosplayers.....

They really don't have much of a choice in the fan canon category, since part of the challenge is to create an OC that fits into the world and all.
My thing was how close they tied themselves to the Great Houses. It's like making a Star Wars OC and you're Luke Skywalkers 3rd cousin. They had plenty of opportunity to be low born characters of Westeros. People scorned by Lannisters, joining the Brotherhood, or former slaves from across the Narrow Sea who fought their way to freedom.

I understand I'm being a little over critical though, I just wouldn't have squirmed as much as I did when I heard "my character is a Stark/Lannister/Targaryen"

I saw both episodes and I think that the first one was the better of the two. I am not so much interested in the "theme" of the contest,
but more into the build. I am a prop maker by trade and I look more at the symmetry and the quality of the final product and the method
they used to get there. I like the hardware and how much the details are considered. Doing most the work by hand gives a better
indication of there skill level and previous history. It is however, a contest to find the best.
At least this show considers some of that in the short time they have.
Maybe they will bring the top winners together to compete in a first season, final episode to find the best.

propmaster2000

Last edited:
For what it's worth, SyFy seems to be pretty invested in the show, they have a pretty decent sized booth at WonderCon this year promoting the show as well running a cosplay emergency or repair center. I haven't checked it out yet so I don't know what it's about but it seems like, to me based on just passing by the booth, that it's set up to help people make fixes or last minute tweaks to their costumes.

For what it's worth, SyFy seems to be pretty invested in the show, they have a pretty decent sized booth at WonderCon this year promoting the show as well running a cosplay emergency or repair center. I haven't checked it out yet so I don't know what it's about but it seems like, to me based on just passing by the booth, that it's set up to help people make fixes or last minute tweaks to their costumes.

Sakura-Con also has a repair station, which is basically that, so I'd assume that's what it is.

I definitely feel the first episode has been the strongest so far, with the last two really coming in average at best. I didn't really care for any of the designs tonight. Green glitter/craft store demon angel of pestilence...yeesh and torn paper angel wing demon were the strongest which says a lot.

I also saw the episode last night.......not too much to say about this one.
There was too much ''talk time'' spent on uninteresting backgrounds. I watched the whole thing hoping it would get better.
Not sure who picked the mechanics for the animation part of the challenge, but a few springs as one of them?
I would have given a couple gear motors (with pulleys attached), cable and battery. That would have at least been comparable with
the other two choices.
It seemed to me that the build process on all of the costumes was a bit sloppy, even with the time crunch.
The use of the drills, saws, dremels, sanders....sad.
Instead of going with ''to much stuff'', they should have went for quality and skill. I give this episode a 4.
From the previews of the next one, it should be better.
I am still hoping they show more of the "Skill of the Build".

propmaster2000

Last edited:
did anyone see the S.A.A.B. helmet in the background? when whatshisname tells whatsherface she needs to work more on the thingi for her wings, in the background on a shelf.... it might not have the visor cover on it but it def looks like a SAAB helmet. ;)

Much better show tonight, it's a shame there could not have been two winners. Steven and Josh both had well designed suits that fit in the same universe.

Watching Cosplay Melee now .... have you since the APEC suit on the Replica forums... that's from Steven AKA SKS props. I hope he wins!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back