Comet miniatures

Rogue Studios

Hey does anyone else email Comet miniatures and never get a reply or a no answer reply?
I have emailed them on three occassions for some rather expensive kits Like $500 plus each. It just seems like poor customer service and they are losing sales(like I should care) but anyway I was wondering if everyone else was having the same crappy results from them.

Lee

In one word: yes.

The seem to have the worst web sited customer service. Ive been writing to them about a new realease since 3 months ago and still no answer!

Sergio

Well, I go to alot of other
modeling boards and I can say for
a fact that ALOT of guy's comment
the ONLY way they get an answer
is walking in the front door !!!!

Of course, that WORK'S for those guy's
IN England !!!!!!!

icon_rolleyes.gif

The rest of us..
icon_cry.gif

I dunno, did you ever try Tracy
at Federation Models ??? I know he
get's alot of stuff from across
the Pond ?????

http://www.federationmodels.com/

Call them. When I bought my AB models eagle, I phoned them before I went to work at 11am their time and requested production and shipping information. Very friendly and informative. I placed my order at that time with the plastic.

From selling on ebay, I know that email requests can be very taxing. Get dozens of requests for additional info (that is plainly listed), or how much to ship to so and so zip. And the bottom line is no bids from these bozo's.

Persevere. I would try the phone method also. They have always been good to me, so I couldn't really condemn them .

Good luck though!

I had the same results with email. Maybe they don't understand that new fangled stuff and expect the computer to ring.

They are extreeeeeemly unorganized. In 1999, I had ordered at 22inch Eagle from them. When I went there to pick it up, I saw what a POS it was and told them to keep it.

A week later I received the model in the mail! WTF?!?!?!
So I sent it back to them.

Tim

Their CS is lacking big time!!

I see them at shows here in the UK and regularly see "The Boss" shouting down his staff and even customers!!

I have only ever bought from them at these shows, but model making frineds of mine have had problems in the past with mail order and e-mail - Phone or in person seem to be the only way.

Draven

I have to say a few words in defence of Comet Miniatures and Tony James. People have groaned and moaned about Comet before, but I can safely say that in the more than 10 years I have shopped with them that Tony James and his staff have never been anything other than helpful and great to deal with. Top blokes all.

Sure, Tony has an abrasive side, but that's just the Cockney Londoner in him. He doesn't doesn't suffer fools and he knows what he wants. After all he is running a business and has obviously been doing so quite well for a number of years.
He does shout at his staff - and his son! - but at least you'll be clear where you stand. He says it like it is. No BS.

As for the website, for the longest time it was difficult to order stuff online, but they seem to have solved that now and have a secure credit card ordering system up and running. It's quirky but does the job. I tend to call directly for most orders though. I prefer talking to real people sometimes.

Maybe, I'm biased but Tony has always bent over backwards for me when I have ordered kits. And that's not an easy thing for him to do considering I live in Hong Kong! He has done me countless personal favours when it comes to payment methods. He has allowed installment payments on large items (ie: the AB 44-inch Eagle) and even takes off the VAT at source which a lot of other companies will not do. And both of us know what a hassle that can be with British Customs and Excise.

In 2002, after a trip home to London there were two kits I wanted but couldn't afford at the time. It just so happened tha Tony was planning a brief holiday to HK, so he said he would bring them out and allow me to settle up in person. He then carried a large box as cabin baggage about 8,000 miles just for me. That's what I call service.

And just today, I received the Master Elevator car through the post. (Girlfriend picked it up from the post office so I haven't seen it -- but it looks great on the website.) This was pre-ordered a few months ago. Since then the price has risen by 10 pounds sterling but Tony was kind enough to honour the pre-ordered cost. What can I say.

As for the guy who sent back his 22-inch Eagle, maybe it's not the greatest kit in the world (I'll admit it's not and neither is the 44-incher), but was there any other game in town at the time? No, there was not.

Eagle fans waited 25 years for a big model, and I for one wasn't going to say no. Kudos to Tony for having the balls to help get the thing out there.

I suppose we do have a long history, so all I can say is if you get to know him and his staff they will do all right by you. I don't think mentioning my name would help with orders but you never know!! (The Force is not that strong with me!)

Cheers
Steve Liu

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
sliuman wrote:
<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>

In 2002, after a trip home to London there were two kits I wanted but couldn't afford at the time. It just so happened tha Tony was planning a brief holiday to HK, so he said he would bring them out and allow me to settle up in person. He then carried a large box as cabin baggage about 8,000 miles just for me. That's what I call service.

</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

Now that is good service!

I totally agree that you usually do get better service once you know the person, but it's first impressions that count and if peoples first impressions are of someone who ignores e-mails, shouts at staff and customers, etc...

Well done for speaking up in defence of CM though - For all the people that have bad experiences with retailers, there are some that do not and they should be heard too. Kudos.

Draven

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>Quote:<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
As for the guy who sent back his 22-inch Eagle, maybe it's not the greatest kit in the world (I'll admit it's not and neither is the 44-incher), but was there any other game in town at the time? No, there was not.
</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

that would be me... :)

There was nothing else out there at that time. But that is not a reason for buying that Eagle. It would have taken more time to fix that model than it would take to build one from scratch.

Tim

Ah, sorry Tim. I didn't look carefully enough at the signature. I'm well aware that you have done some wonderful work on the Falcon and your own Eagle as well as many other things. So I'll button my lip for the guys who really can scratch build! I'm only good for building out of the box (when I can!) By the way, any progress on that Eagle? Cheers.

No progress on the Eagle. Not until I get back home in March.
I have not built anythiung in 10 months now. Need to get back to it.

Tim

I saw some photos of his model. Looks cool! An Andrew Frampton showed me a cargo container he got from Jim. Very nice casting!

Tim

This thread is more than 20 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back