Clone Trooper Phase II

TanningLizard

I recently decided to turn away from Iron-Man costume making for now. It was too big of a bite to chew for my first full body costume. I decided to go for something that is a bit more robust, simple, and relatively easy to hide a mistake on.

I am making Star Wars Clone Trooper Phase II Armor

I am using EVA foam that is way easier and cheaper than the hard plastic material I was using before. I can get around eight large pieces (around a 1 1/2ft long and 1ft wide) for just $10.

I plan on using spray on Plasti-Dip to coat the EVA. This should make it a tad harder and tougher, smooth out any small holes or accidental cuts, and makes a great base for spray paint.

This is a project I am going to continue to work on until my local Comic-Con in January. Stay tuned!

Here it is right now. I have the torso and the stomach section. It is a bit rough, but with some sanding, some correcting, and some Plasti-Dip, I think it will come out just fine for my first full body costume.

Yes I am. I considered it for a time. The thing is, I am planning on putting battle damage on the costume through some light sanding to reveal the black interior. If I just did white Plasti-Dip, I would have to sand down to the EVA layer and compromise the costume's strength against the elements. Instead I am opting for the black Plasti-Dip, which will provide protection and strength for the EVA, and a white cosmetic layer of paint on top.

I have been working on the shoulder pieces, which are posing a challenge (I never noticed but, they have a distinct curve that is hard to get). I am also almost done with my first bicep piece and elbow piece. After that, replicating them for my left arm should be a breeze.

Not too much longer and I should be starting work on my legs. For now, I have some pictures of the complete gloves. I wanted to test the plasti-dip and paint on something easy to paint that was small and simple enough to remake if I ruined it. I did encounter the problem of having little holes all over in the paint, but I think that might be from making my plasti-dip under coat too thin (not fully covering the natural holes in the EVA foam). A few extra coats filled in all of the noticeable holes.

Attachments

• 1211151056.jpg
    1211151056.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 78
Here are the pictures. Sorry it took so long.

Attachments

• Clone2.jpg
    Clone2.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 138
  • Clone1.jpg
    Clone1.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 114
  • Clone3.jpg
    Clone3.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 111
Here are some pictures of the helmet so far. I aim to get it done in the next few hours in between bits of school. There is also a picture of the armor so far on my body. I added a bit of battle damage to the forearms and the hand plates. I still need to paint the other bits green (I am going for a 442nd Siege Battalion look) before I want to put battle damage on them. It isn't great, but for my first full body costume and only my third comic con I am pretty proud of it. Comic Con here is coming Sunday, so I have a lot of work to do in the next two days.

Attachments

• Clone4.jpg
    Clone4.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 92
  • Clone5.jpg
    Clone5.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 88
  • Clone6.jpg
    Clone6.jpg
    903.2 KB · Views: 128
  • Clone7.jpg
    Clone7.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 86
Snazzy. Love the CT armor. Want to try this myself one day.

You should. It is fun seeing it come together. Whenever I started work on a certain part (e.g, helmet) I would be thinking in my head, "This is going to look terrible. How is this going to work?" Later, after some work for a few hours, I would see the piece take shape and I would think, "Hey, this isn't half bad!"

Here are the Comic Con pictures! I will just go out and say it: the helmet is not right and the costume definitely could use some improvements in comfort and mobility, but I like it for only being a v1. I did win Best in Show at the costume contest, so someone had to of liked it! haha

Attachments

• Clone8.jpg
    Clone8.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 181
  • Clone9.jpg
    Clone9.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 158
Great job. How many cans of Plastidip did it take? Did you follow someone else design or is this all your own? Looks really great wither way. I'm also doing clone trooper armor. How sweaty does the EVA make you while wearing it? Sorry for all the questions.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back