Casting a sculpture - complete newbie

Yeahhtrue

Hi guys,

So I'm one of the million people working on a 'Baby Yoda' right now. I'm completely new to sculpting, casting, etc. Initially I just planned on just doing a sculpture and leaving it at that, but the more I think about it, the more I realize the sculpture will probably be fragile (especially the ears) and it'd be difficult to carry around with me anywhere without breaking it. So I want to make a mold and then cast it with silicone or latex or something along those lines. I've been reading up and finding so many different products and methods, so I was hoping to be pointed in the right direction by people who do this kind of stuff all the time. What would you recommend for someone doing this for the first time, in terms of method of creating the mold, casting material, etc. Thanks so much! Picture attached of the head (still a WIP), there will also be hands and feet, and the body will be foam.

FbcAHD2.jpg

Hi
¿Have you ever made a mold?
In first instance the material used for a starter would be plaster. There are different hardness, if you want your mold to last a number of castings stone plaster (UC30 for example) could be the choice.
There are other materials like resins+fiberglass and PU resins. But if it´s your first mold I´d go for plaster.
Another reason for choosing a material is the material used for the casting. If it´s latex, plaster will always be the best choice as it´s porous, and the best one for that would be Hydrocal or similar. Others would do to.
If you want to cast silicones, plaster will do (but never after having casted latex in it, latex inhibits silicone and there would be residue in the plaster). Other choices suit silicone too, but careful with inhibitions. Some resins will need postcuring.
All in all, if it´s your first try I´d go for plaster. But if you have never done it I´d also start practicing with the material before. Maybe making some simple molds of simple shapes so you get the feel of the material and it´s tempos (liquid, milkshake, cream, butter...).
Better practicing a little before. You can use normal plaster for that and then move to stone plaster when you feel you´re ready.

Hi
¿Have you ever made a mold?
In first instance the material used for a starter would be plaster. There are different hardness, if you want your mold to last a number of castings stone plaster (UC30 for example) could be the choice.
There are other materials like resins+fiberglass and PU resins. But if it´s your first mold I´d go for plaster.
Another reason for choosing a material is the material used for the casting. If it´s latex, plaster will always be the best choice as it´s porous, and the best one for that would be Hydrocal or similar. Others would do to.
If you want to cast silicones, plaster will do (but never after having casted latex in it, latex inhibits silicone and there would be residue in the plaster). Other choices suit silicone too, but careful with inhibitions. Some resins will need postcuring.
All in all, if it´s your first try I´d go for plaster. But if you have never done it I´d also start practicing with the material before. Maybe making some simple molds of simple shapes so you get the feel of the material and it´s tempos (liquid, milkshake, cream, butter...).
Better practicing a little before. You can use normal plaster for that and then move to stone plaster when you feel you´re ready.

Many years ago I made a small rubber mold and then casted in resin...they were smooth-on products, though I don't recall exactly which ones. But it was just a small single piece mold and a relatively flat object. For the head, hands, and feet here I'd need to take a different approach. I'm guessing either two piece box molds for everything, or possibly a brush on mold for the head? I'm not sure what the best method would be.

If you are planning to use latex a rubber mold is not a good idea. Latex works better with porous materials such as plaster. If you want a silicone casting filled with flexible foam a rigid mold would suit better. Condensation silicones (tin cure) inhibit platinum silicone, if you want to cast plat silicone in a plat mold you´ll need to use a release agent.
Yes, two part molds are the way. You can make box molds or build up molds with plaster.
Take a look at moldmaking videos, there´s a lot around. But as I said before, I´d make some tests first to get the feel of the materials.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back