Casting a Knife Replica

NSStudios

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey all! So as the title states, I’m looking at casting a knife to make replicas of. My only problem is finding the best material to use. I was wondering if any of the pros have a tip, or even a suggestion as to what type of material to use? The knife is a standard kitchen knife, to aproximare the thickness. Thanks all!

Well first of all awesome job! I'm also curious if you have a suggestion as far as casting goes. Since the knife has a fair amount of detail I'd like to capture, that is

Read you loud and clear... Wanted to show you another option, but you are replicating an item you have, thus casting. Makes perfect sense.

Not sure on casting something as thin as a knife blade...

What do you plan to do with the casting?
Display, Cosplay, Use it in the kitchen?

What you will be using it for will give better results in what to use.

Detail. It's not a Vorpal knife is it?

Read you loud and clear... Wanted to show you another option, but you are replicating an item you have, thus casting. Makes perfect sense.

Not sure on casting something as thin as a knife blade...

Not sure, but definitely enjoyed that thread. Maybe I’ll try that method with one of the larger knives I’ll be replicating.

What do you plan to do with the casting?
Display, Cosplay, Use it in the kitchen?

What you will be using it for will give better results in what to use.

Detail. It's not a Vorpal knife is it?

Cosplay/Display :)

It’s not, I recently uncovered the screen used Halloween 4/5 knife brand and I’d like to make a casting, maybe a few replicas, but I’m still not too sure of what to do about the casting portion of the project.

I’m also gonna call smooth on tomorrow to check in on their “task” series

Those big rubber Halloween knife castings, some had an aluminim armature, other had a section of bandsaw blade with the teeth ground down as an armature. The bandsaw blade allows a thin rubber casting with bend and give while not destroying the prop itself when in use. All armatures run through the handle.

For an as is thin blade casting you can use a very firm rubber but im not certain its a material available outside the professional industry and even then its only available in five gallon kits. Ive made a fair share of prop cast knives with non thickened blades out of MPK90 high impact plastic. Some survived multiple throws at walls, the ground and at actors/stuntmen while fighting even up camera close where rubber, although would have worked fine, a hard casting was much more suited to the task. Ive never needed an internal armature with the MPK90. Not even for thin bladed knives.

You can thicken a blade in various ways from adding wax sheet to the existing blade, casting the blade alone then using a skin of that applied to the blade for the knife moulding, or simply bo a two part box mould with a hard split board. The hard split board is important as when moulding the second side you simply tilt the entire knife upwards, blade stays down, to cheat thickness of the blade while keeping a sharp and thin knife edge. Its very simple and ive never had an issue.

Keep in mind a knife mould is considered an advanced task due to the blade itself. Pulling a casting is the same. Its not something youll want to penny pinch on materials with cheap hobby resin or brittle silicone. You would just end up with a junk mould or unusable casting.

Those big rubber Halloween knife castings, some had an aluminim armature, other had a section of bandsaw blade with the teeth ground down as an armature. The bandsaw blade allows a thin rubber casting with bend and give while not destroying the prop itself when in use. All armatures run through the handle.

For an as is thin blade casting you can use a very firm rubber but im not certain its a material available outside the professional industry and even then its only available in five gallon kits. Ive made a fair share of prop cast knives with non thickened blades out of MPK90 high impact plastic. Some survived multiple throws at walls, the ground and at actors/stuntmen while fighting even up camera close where rubber, although would have worked fine, a hard casting was much more suited to the task. Ive never needed an internal armature with the MPK90. Not even for thin bladed knives.

You can thicken a blade in various ways from adding wax sheet to the existing blade, casting the blade alone then using a skin of that applied to the blade for the knife moulding, or simply bo a two part box mould with a hard split board. The hard split board is important as when moulding the second side you simply tilt the entire knife upwards, blade stays down, to cheat thickness of the blade while keeping a sharp and thin knife edge. Its very simple and ive never had an issue.

Keep in mind a knife mould is considered an advanced task due to the blade itself. Pulling a casting is the same. Its not something youll want to penny pinch on materials with cheap hobby resin or brittle silicone. You would just end up with a junk mould or unusable casting.

Bandsaw blade armature definitely sounds feasible, I'll look into that!
I've considered doing a wax or clay sheet onto the end of the blade where it thins down, as well so that will probably be the best option. I have ran into MPK90 in my search results, but never used it personally. so you'd recommend?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back