Can you help out the Mythbusters?

The stunt will be cool to see. I love watching the show, you never know whats gonna happen with their stunts. They are the obly guys I know who would strap 3 rockets to the back of a car....well sober atleast. lol

:eek "Dead Stop"?? What about the rotation of the wheels? If they were propelling the car forward at 50 mph, they are still still propelling the car at 50 mph when they hit the ramp. Now the car is driving 50 mph up the ramp, not at "dead stop" as you suggest.
[/b]

If the tires had perfect grip and the car engine and tranny had absolute infinite torque yes you would launch the car forward at 50mph as you suggest... But, this is the real world...

Where as another explained the car in an (overdrive) higher gear at say 2500? rpm doesn't have the torque required to launch the car forward uphill at any high rate of speed, it will most likely stall if left in high gear when the tires hit the ramp... 50mph rotating tires hittings the ramp with a car that is only going maybe 5mph up the ramp is going to put a HUGE strain on the the engine and tranny if left in gear, that is if the tires actually grip and not just break loose... I see a stall if it is done this way... As I said it's just like starting uphill in a higher gear in a manual tranny vehicle... At this point the speed of the car is the difference between the truck and the car only a few mph, but without any additional power to the rear wheels, upon transition to the ramp you will nearly be at a dead stop...

Dude. Not to call you out by any means but what have you been smoking? You forgot all about inertia. If a car is going 50mph and you even kill the engine and let it coast it will be able to go up a ramp that size. That is like saying that you can't go up a steep driveway without really straining the engine. If you come at it at 50mph I will guarantee that you will make it up there.

True if the ramp was an unlimited size at about 20 degrees then at some point it would stall and roll backwards but not in 10-15 ft.

Don't believe me? Go ride your bike, go about 12mph and hit a ramp. Just before and while on the ramp don't pedal. What will happen? Will you just stop and roll back down? No, your momentum will take you up and over the ramp. Sure you will lose some velocity but not much in that short distance.

If this type of thing didn't apply then guys would not be able to bike in a half-pipe. They pedal only on the downhill side and then rarely only when they need a boost. Otherwise their momentum will take them up the other side.

What you're forgetting is that in this instance the ramp is also moving... The weight of the moving car gets to be carried forward still.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stampedemag @ Feb 18 2007, 05:02 PM) [snapback]1421512[/snapback]</div>
Dude. Not to call you out by any means but what have you been smoking? You forgot all about inertia. If a car is going 50mph and you even kill the engine and let it coast it will be able to go up a ramp that size. That is like saying that you can't go up a steep driveway without really straining the engine. If you come at it at 50mph I will guarantee that you will make it up there.

True if the ramp was an unlimited size at about 20 degrees then at some point it would stall and roll backwards but not in 10-15 ft.

Don't believe me? Go ride your bike, go about 12mph and hit a ramp. Just before and while on the ramp don't pedal. What will happen? Will you just stop and roll back down? No, your momentum will take you up and over the ramp. Sure you will lose some velocity but not much in that short distance.

If this type of thing didn't apply then guys would not be able to bike in a half-pipe. They pedal only on the downhill side and then rarely only when they need a boost. Otherwise their momentum will take them up the other side.
[/b]

The inertia of the car is equal to the inertia of the moving truck when they are moving at the same speed so the only difference is when the car actually accelerates up the ramp. Your logic of the bike ramp is flawed as you haven't taken into account that the ramp is moving at the same speed.

Oh, and to put this thread back ON TOPIC...

Sorry, I don't know anyone currently who owns a KITT replica. I did about 10 years ago but it was sold to a collector who ended up wrapping it around a tree about 5 years ago. I'm sure a couple of the Knight Rider links that were already posted will be a better resource for you.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(westies 14 @ Feb 18 2007, 04:06 PM) [snapback]1421515[/snapback]</div>
Dude. Not to call you out by any means but what have you been smoking? You forgot all about inertia.
[/b]

Smoking nothing, and didn't forget about inertia, but instead following the basic laws of physics the when the car mounts the ramp it's speed is equal to the difference of the speed of the ramp and the car, not the speed of the car... The inertia will be very minute, and will result only from the sum of the difference in speeds... In this case, the car is only going a few MPH when it mounts the ramp...

Don't believe me? Go ride your bike, go about 12mph and hit a ramp. Just before and while on the ramp don't pedal. What will happen?[/b]

Better scenerio, have the ramp moving way from you at 11 mph to better simulate the stunt, and you will find that only by luck will you go over the ramp, and it won't be all that big of jump...

The ramp is moving, big difference then a stationary object...

Say you were standing on the hood of KITT and took a running leap towards the ramp would you crash through the front of the truck because you were going 52mph when you jumped? No you wouldn't because even though you riding on the hood of KITT gave you a speed of 50mph and you bumped that up a little with your running leap to maybe 52mph, when you landed on the ramp you must immediatley subtract the speed of the ramp from your speed so your net speed would only be 2mph... Same difference... And a very common Hollywood stunt...

The only difference between the car and you doing the jump is the rotation of the tires... But, the rotation of the tires unless provided unlimted torque and grip is minimal... Would I drive the car up in gear under aceleration, nope because I fully believe it would stall... Would I get close give the car one final bit of acceleration pop it in neutral or cluth it then drop it in first once I was on the ramp and drive up sure...

OK... I think that the fact that the stunt has been done in many shows and many movies that we can rest the case that it's possible.

The thread was started by Adam to search for a period vehicle for an upcoming show. If anyone has information or help please post it but if you guys wish to continue to discuss the viability of these stunts or any other suggestions for new myths that they should consider please do so in the OT section.

Thanks.

I believe there was a repliKITT on ebay in the last couple weeks. Maybe month. I think it didn't sell.

Obi-Bob

Adam, did you guys get one? BTW like I told Kari next time you guys need to get chased by a gator come down and see me. We don't have those wimpy 3-4 footers like you guys had in the show... lol and these will chase you. This one is a 12 footer just out of a lake that housed a 13 footer that almost killed a guy.

LargeAlligatorw018.jpg

Why spend the money for a bunch of flashing lights and fake switches that have no bearing on the outcome of the test? Seems to me all you really need is a plain 'ol black 1982 Pontiac Trans Am.

Don't get me wrong, it'd be cool to see an actual replica of the KITT car do the stunt tests for dramatic and visual purposes but you're gonna need someone with a silver-tongue (and fat wallet) to convince anyone owning a KITT car to let you actually do it with their car.

Maybe your best option is to use the KITT replica for in-car and on-site shots but use a normal black Trans Am for the actual tests.

If I was rich I would buy it, crush it into a cube, and send it into the heart of the sun, ...followed by the general lee and most batmobiles.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(terryr @ Apr 3 2007, 09:25 AM) [snapback]1454445[/snapback]</div>
If I was rich I would buy it, crush it into a cube, and send it into the heart of the sun, ...followed by the general lee and most batmobiles.
[/b]

Don't you blaspheme up in in here.

Adam - start phoning used car dealers here in New Jersey. For five grand you'll probably have 3 late 80's black T/A's ready for pick up in the first hour. :lol

I agree with the idea for the "now we get to blow stuff up" end of the segment: turbo boost.

You take that back. Boo. Hiss. The 3rd Gen T/A is one of the best looking cars ever designed. If someone gave me a Ferrari, I'd sell it and get one Firebird of each generation.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gigatron @ Feb 17 2007, 08:17 AM) [snapback]1420661[/snapback]</div>
W

Go to new jersey - people there still think that those are cool cars to drive :lol
-Fred
[/b]

I haven't kept up with this thread, since it seemed to be swerving into theoretical physics and "what ifs" but I saw

Edit
D'oh. Sorry, my mistake the KITT foir sake is one of the screen used and would be too expensive for a one off stunt, no doubt.

Let me go back to my previous recommendation:

http://www.knightfoundation.net/

These guys build them, perhaps there is one that could be used or rented?

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back