Can anyone identify what this prop is made of?

DB537

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
It's a BTTF prop, but I need help from anyone who could possibly identify the material and what it's actually used for.
I'm having some difficulty figuring out the material used for the "Blast from the Past" silver hologram bags from Part II.

I have searched everywhere online and come up with nothing exactly like it.

Does anybody have any idea what kind of material this is for certain?
Have you see the exact same plastic in use anywhere else?
Does it look familiar to you? I KNOW I've seen it somewhere else,
but it was a number of years ago.

1a599d8f.jpg

bbc8df91.jpg

ea90b9f8-1.jpg

400476ab.jpg

Foil, the same material those Foil Type balloons are made from
This was probably my first guess. I'm having trouble finding anything but the shiny rainbow stuff though.

Looks like an opalescent plastic. I'd check gift wrapping for a possible source material.
I found a gift wrap that is somewhat close in appearance.

What kind of hologram material would have this sort of pastel color spectrum?

I found a gift wrap that is somewhat close in appearance.

What kind of hologram material would have this sort of pastel color spectrum?

A few days ago, I've ordered this one: Irisfolie 70 cm x 2 m - Geschenkpapier - Verpackungen - Basteln mit Papier - die produkte. - idee. Shop

Now I'm waiting for the delivery. It's a transparent gift wrap, often use for packaging flower bouquets. I will use it for my "experiment". If it works, it will be a part of my "do it yourself" guide.

Roland Are you going to paint the inside of the bag to allow the opalescent look to remain on the outside?

Roland Are you going to paint the inside of the bag to allow the opalescent look to remain on the outside?

No paint. Just films and foils, sticked together. If it all works as expected, it will look very similar to the real ones. I hope so.

I think I'm going to have to compare samples of actual plastic material to match this exactly. Does anybody know of a place that would sell this type of stuff locally in the southeast US? (Birmingham, AL/Atlanta, GA area)

Just want to bump this thread to see if anyone else has made any progress in identifying this material. I've had no luck so far.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back