BTTF II Delorean underside

xeno

Sr Member
I call upon the great masters of the RPF in search of information about the BTTF II Delorean underside.

I have been working on my Eaglemoss Delorean for some time, and really want to make the flying version, and make a replica underside with working lights.
Finding information is not easy, and the only information I could find are screenshots from the movie, and the underside of the HotToys Delorean.

I was hoping for some shots of the Delorean model used in the movie that I can compare to the HotToys version, I still have doubts about the accuracy of that, the basic shape looks close, but it looks too flat compared to the screenshots.
Back.to.the.Future.Part.II.1989.1080p.BluRay.REMUX.VC-1.DTS-HD.MA.5.1-FGT-0006.jpg

60703364_358314191482742_8220149508521066496_n.jpg

The grilles are too many on the right side additionally they are too high up as I can see. The colouring is not quite exact with the movies as you can probably see as can be remedied obviously.

Looks fairly close, and I see what you mean about it being too flat, but I think some of that is because the model looks too pristine. Some dark washes and weathering should help with that. Maybe building up a few spots with styrene would also enhance the dimensionality. The biggest difference I see is the size of the pairs of circular lights near the front wheels. Unless the forward-most lights have an especially large light bloom, I'd say those lights should be about the same size.
As for pics, maybe screencapping the blu-ray would help to get some better resolution shots? The trilogy is also out on 4K UHD blu-ray.* That image you posted looks to be from a DVD, so unless there's actual photos of a screen used car or model, I'd say that's your best option at higher quality reference pics.
*EDIT - Looks like it's not out on 4K until this summer, sorry for the incorrect info!

Attachments

• bttf21989-0161.jpg
    bttf21989-0161.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
The Aoshima model kit is very good reference. They based the entire model kit off of the studio model from Part 2. The Part 1 model had none of this.

I have a great deal of reference but due to the complexity of building a 1:1 scale Time Machine I have not done much research. I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks for the great answers :)

The Aoshima model kit is very good reference. They based the entire model kit off of the studio model from Part 2. The Part 1 model had none of this.

I have a great deal of reference but due to the complexity of building a 1:1 scale Time Machine I have not done much research. I wish you the best of luck.

Somehow my mind also wandered to the Aoshima model, and I could remember it had bottom details, and after seeing some images, I also think this is probably a great reference, it has details that no other has, and some tubes at the top can partially be seen in the screengrabs.
(weird how something I built maybe 30 years ago still sticks in your mind)

The grilles are too many on the right side additionally they are too high up as I can see. The colouring is not quite exact with the movies as you can probably see as can be remedied obviously.

The bottom is also too flat, and sunken inside, it should stick out more at the bottom, but I think they compromised, but it is still weird that they gave the BTTF 1 car a BTTF 2 underside.
I know they planned for a BTTF 2 version with rotated wheels and new figures, but it never happened.

Going to order that Aoshima model, and go from there :)

Last edited:
I’m working on it. It will just slap in over the existing chassis and is a blend of the fiberglass flying car prop and the studio model. It’s nearly done. Then onto molding and reproduction.
7C09E02A-D915-4CC8-8E0E-83E1AB98D2A0.jpeg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back