BTTF 2 Pepsi Bottle scratch build.

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Java, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Java

Java Sr Member

I recently had some interest in having a BTTF2 Pepsi Perfect bottle. After doing some research and despite the consensus that it was scratch made, I thought it might be based on an old TAME Hair Conditioner bottle.

I tracked a bottle down on Ebay and was a little disappointed when I got it, as it was too small. Only an 8 ounce bottle. So I scaled it up. I soon realized that shape was just really *off*. I tried. :lol

Back to the drawing board and more research. There are lots of posts here, and all over the internet regarding these bottles. Read them as they are really full of a lot of info! Some of the stuff I found was eye-opening and disappointing in one fell swoop. It never was clear if the bottles that have been replicated were ever "cast off screen-used" and the ones available recently certainly weren't as evidenced by the testimony of the person making them. Rather they were reproduced using measurements of prototypes and bottles from BTTF The Ride. I even saw bottles that were made intentionally wrong so that there would be none like the original they were modeled from. :confused

Finding this post pretty much settled it for me:

Making one from scratch (just like the originals) from accurate measurements seemed about as close as anybody was ever going to get without making replicas cast directly off a screen-used prop.

Trying to find measurements was a challenge because getting a straight answer from people was elusive. it's the Replica Prop Forum, so I decided to make myself a replica. :)

I found a profile that a person (starbuckcyclon - thanks) with a Ride bottle graciously shared and decided to try with that. Since I don't have a lathe I needed to try something else. Was the overall height 8.5-ish as claimed by some, or 8.75 as claimed by others? I measured a beer bottled and it came up as exactly 8.75 inches. I went with 8.75. :) Once the PIH auction was up and listed the size as 8.75, I was pretty satisfied. When making vac-form bucks it is common to make them smaller to accommodate the thickness of the material being used. Now, leaving room for 1/8 inch material (top and bottom) you get the 8.5 inch "buck" which yields the 8.75 vac-form. 1/8 is pretty thick. I'll let you know how it works out when I vac-form it.

I made concentric disks and placed them on a center rod.

I then filled it with "Great Stuff" and shaped it better.

I tweaked the shaped and then did an overlay with the Diet Pepsi bottle from PIH. I just need to tweak the top.

Check the pic with the beer glass I got for Christmas. Crazy!

2. steveo3002

steveo3002 Well-Known Member

cool project..look forward to seeing how it goes

3. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think that you are mistaken about what is available and the lineage. Gary Weavers first run of solid bottles were cast from his preproduction Pepsi Perfect bottle. We all thought it would be the same size as the screen used bottles but alas it wasn't.

Gary then won a set of screen used Slice and Diet Pepsi bottles and made his latest run based on those. I have owned both sets and I know for a fact that they are taller than his first run. His latest run is a absolutely exact to the screen used.

You are doing a great job on yours. I look forward to seeing you progress.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  4. Java

Java Sr Member

Thanks for the nice words. :thumbsup

There are some very nice replicas out there. No doubt.

I've read lots of things regarding this prop and I didn't feel the need to post them all here. I just wanted to briefly explain how and why I decided to make my own.

5. Jedifyfe

That's cool. I have always loved these props so I will be watching this build.

That's interesting about the TAME bottle.

BTW, where did you get those beer glasses. I would love to buy some and put some Pepsi Perfect stickers on them to use around the house. :)

6. Roland

Roland Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Is this a Weizenbierglas? If it is: In Germany such glasses are available at every corner drug store. :D

7. Java

Java Sr Member

I'll have to ask my wife about the glass, she got me a set.

They were made in the USA for sure.

8. tk1055

tk1055 Sr Member

Man those beer glasses are very close, when you get a chance let me know the 411 on those. I two would love to slap a Pepsi Perfect logo on one for use around the house! (Maybe even a Guinness perfect ;-) )

9. Droidboy

Droidboy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Did anyone ever make measurements available on this?

10. Roland

:D

[​IMG]

11. Java

Java Sr Member

Here you go.

Classic Pilsner

@Droidboy - accurate measurements are all over the place. Look and you will find.

12. tk1055

tk1055 Sr Member

Roland, you are a god among men. Java I will look into those, thank you

13. Roland

14. Java

Java Sr Member

15. Gary Weaver II

Gary Weaver II Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow, talk about some selective posting. Brad's right though - my newest Pepsi Perfects are directly based on my Screen Used Set - and I'm pretty sure I said so. I also hate to break it to you but you CAN NOT get any closer to the screen used profile than my replicas - short of finding the original Vac-Forming bucks used to make the originals.

The tooling for my Gen2 Bottles were taken directly from the inside of my Diet Pepsi Bottle with lowshrink tooling resin. This was possible since the side seams on my Diet Pepsi were already broken when I got it. After molding, the original wood grain was even present on the tools from the inside of the bottles. They were wetsanded down a bit to give a better tool for the clear bottles. More on that in a sec though.

But wait, it gets better. I now have a screen used Pepsi Perfect in my set and I'm more than pleased to say that my Pepsi Perfect replicas are probably 98% identical to the screen used and in some respects - even better. The Pepsi Perfects that I make have no wood grain like the original. You can't see it in the film, but it's horribly obvious on the original.

The only changes I need to make is a slight tweak to the label for the width, and add the inner solid straw. Now that I know how the original is installed I can put it into my replicas with a slightly different mounting system to keep it from getting mixed up with a screen used bottle (which is why I didn't add them in the first place to my original replica).

The stacked styrene disc and bondo idea is pretty inventive. Great job on that BTW.

-Gary

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  16. Roland

Are you planning another run with new bottles?

17. Java

Java Sr Member

I believe there is a separate thread for this.

18. Java

Java Sr Member

Cool, then maybe you can help with the analysis.

A little bit has happened over the last few weeks.When I started making my replica it reminded a friend that he had a casting from a reliable source. It was duplicated from the movie. Sure would have been nice to have gotten this before I got started. :)

Anyway, it was eye-opening when I opened the package.

There is a detail I have not seen on any of the "Screen Used" bottles. So, either the one my friend has is not real OR it is and the ones out there are fake. I went on a search to see if I could find this detail in the movie.

And I did.

The base of the bottle has a ridge on it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I asked my friend Charles (renesisx) if he had any Production pics in his collection that might show this detail. He had this pic:

[​IMG]

That ridge is visible on the Slice bottles.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here it is on my friend's copy.

[​IMG]

But, the ridge does not seem to be on the Diet Pepsi bottles!

Here are the bottoms of the PIH bottles:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These new details and revelations put me on Prop Archaeology hunt in an attempt to find out what was going on here. Hopefully some of you other guys that have been analyzing these bottles can chime in too. It's pretty interesting stuff!

19. Gary Weaver II

Simple explanation - Multiple turned wood bottles, so you could have infinite possibility of profile difference. It's entirely possible that a wood turned bottle may not have such a distinct ridge if it were sanded just a bit too much before painting.

Some of those wood bottles were then cut in half and used to make the vac tooling for the openable bottles. By the nature of Vac Forming a ridge would have been lost due to the thickness of the plastic.

Regarding the pepsi perfect you show in the screen cap - I think that was a special solid bottle with no straw top and made for the dispenser rig. Chances are it was cast in solid clear resin and would have used one of the wood forms for a buck - so... ridge. HOWEVER, I think at one point in the past I saw a clear plastic vac-formed PP with a special mount in the bottom and no straw that may have been used for this set piece. So anything is possible.

Since I have both the wood bottles and the plastic bottles, I'll check both tonight to see if there is a ridge on the wood one.

20. Java

Java Sr Member

Analysis of what is on screen. There were 3 "hero" Pepsi Perfect bottles.

The one Marty gets at the Cafe 80's:

[​IMG]

The one Marlene has at the McFly house:

[​IMG]

And the one Doc tosses into Mr. Fusion:

[​IMG]

These 3 bottles were all different. Notice that the Cafe 80's does NOT have a flip top. The Mr. Fusion one does not have a flip top either. There is a hole for the liquid to come out, which is right in the middle of the bottle. The cafe 80's bottle did not have a flip top. Marty cranks on that bottle trying to open it right before Old Biff whacks him with the cane. It's possible that Marty's Cafe 80's bottle was solid?

[​IMG]

So here's the big deal. I'm doubting that the PIH Pepsi was screen used. The thing that got me thinking was the condition. It was in great shape. Pristene even. Compare to the NIKE bag which was beat. Painting on clear plastic (the blue) would scratch over the years. No such scratches. But then there is the label. I think the font is off. The Pepsi Perfect label in the PIH bottle is clearly not a single label. It looks to be blue and cutouts on a silver circular sticker. You can see the blue stripe under the word "PERFECT" buckled.

That does not appear to be the way they look in screen caps. The screen cap label is shiny and appears to be all one substrate.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Plus the gap looks bigger between the R and F on the PIH than the screen shot.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm not just seeing things here am I?

The tops on screen seem pretty flat.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But, the PIH doesn't seem so flat. Sure, it's subtle but it's prevalent in the flip top. I think there is a paint drip on that PIH bottle too. The screen grab flip top is straight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But the biggest "tell" here is the filp top itself. The entire assembly on the Screen Used is blue. The PIH bottle is not.

[​IMG]

My friend Charles (screen name "renesisx) graciously shared some continuity Polaroids that he has. This one clearly shows the flip top painted blue.

[​IMG]

Now go back and look at the "Marlene bottle" screen grabs and you can see it is blue.

21. Gary Weaver II

So you're gonna use blurry screencaps to try and "prove" that a physical bottle I have is fake. A bottle that construction and detail-wise meshes almost identically to both a vac-formed and wood bottle that I bought from a completely different source (with a production lineage) over a year ago.

Good luck with that.

The logos for all three bottles I have are cut vinyl with the back ingredients being a custom dry transfer.

The Slice bottle is turned wood, prepped and painted with multi-layer paint. The wood grain for that slice is pretty much identical in composition to the grain found on the inside of my Diet Pepsi - which also happens to match up with the grains I'm seeing on my Pepsi Perfect.

Three bottles from at least two different sources which appear to line up with each other in both construction style and details -vs- your blurry screencaps and polaroid scans.

Yeah - whatever :)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  22. Roland

I found another one on the Citroën DS taxi dashboard. Do you count that as "hero" bottle?

[​IMG]

23. Java

Java Sr Member

Looking at the Polaroids that Charles shared I noticed something right away.

Here are the only bottles to appear on screen:

Cafe 80's
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Marlene at the McFly house
    [​IMG]
    Slice bottle on the counter in the background
    [​IMG]

Doc tossing into Mr. Fusion
    [​IMG]

Taxi cab (notice the bottle missing the third stripe!)
    [​IMG]

And all the continuity photos with the bottles in them:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

So far
    • One Diet Pepsi, no flip top (Cafe 80's - on screen)
    • Two Slice flip tops (Cafe 80's - on screen)
    • One Slice, no flip top (McFly house on the counter - on screen)
    • One Slice, no flip top (Taxi cab - on screen)
    • One Pepsi Perfect flip top (Marlene - McFly house on screen)
    • One Pepsi Perfect closed (Marty - Cafe 80's on screen)
    • One Pepsi Perfect, top unknown (Doc tosses into Mr. Fusion - on screen)
    • One Pepsi Perfect, top unknown (off screen, in Taxi)
    Special Note:
    • ZERO Diet Pepsi flip tops (ONE Diet Pepsi ever to appear on screen, Cafe 80's)
      • 7 (?) Diet Pepsi. Five loaded in the taxi, One at Cafe 80's, One at McFly house. No flip tops

If the bottle was outfitted with a flip top, it was on screen and opened. Two slice bottles on the table in the Cafe 80's. Marlene at the McFly house.
    Diet Pepsi at the Cafe 80's did not have a flip top.

Off screen, none of the Taxi cab Slice or Diet Pepsi bottles (off screen) have flip tops. Only 2 Slice bottles with flip tops are ever on screen. The Diet Pepsi in the McFly living room set dressing (off screen) had no flip top. The only conclusion possible is that there were no Diet Pepsi bottles made with a flip top - and certainly no "Screen Used" for obvious reasons.

So, what does that imply? Well it implies some pretty serious, er, "stuff".

24. Java

Java Sr Member

Yeah! :thumbsup

But I guess the only real "hero" props were Marty and Marlene's. Doc and this Taxi one are stunt. :)

25. Gary Weaver II

And do you have any records from production that say just how many and of what type of bottles they made? I don't and I'm pretty sure you don't either.

You're telling me that they made an opening slice and an opening pepsi perfect, but NOT a Diet Pepsi? More importantly, your implying that they only made the bottles shown on screen. We all know they made a TON of all these hand props.

Perhaps I should have said production made instead of screen used. My mistake. Doesn't change what I think about these bottles and your flaccid attempt to discredit them.

26. Gary Weaver II

Sure looks like the one in the Citroen has a lid...

-Gary

27. Onkelpsycho

Onkelpsycho Sr Member

Believe me, it doesn't work very good... If you find a glass, that is close to the form it is too small or too big... Its not that easy... The bottom is different and not very useful...

One day someone will offer cheap resin kits for under $100... :) Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but someday...

28. Java

Java Sr Member

Look, sorry you take this as a witch hunt. It isn't. I set out to prove the validity of what my friend has; and this other stuff really stuck out to me. If I am going to make a replica, I want it to match what is on screen.

I recall not too long ago PIH tried to sell a replica Proton Pack made by a well-known GB prop guy and they had to pull it.

Detail-wise "stuff" is what we do here on thereplicapropforum.

29. Java

Java Sr Member

Come on, really? I thought you might be able to contribute here.

30. Java

Java Sr Member

The Pepsi in the Taxi looks like it has a different label on it which looks a lot like the production art. Even I can see that in the "blurry photo".

Also you can look through the bottle and see blue. If that bottle has the flip top (it looks like it does) that would be the bottom of the flip and it is blue. That pretty much matches how the Marlene bottle was made, which has the flip painted blue also.

[​IMG]

31. Java

Java Sr Member

Another bit of curiosity, this from PIH 10 Dec, 2004:

[​IMG]

There is no flip top on there, and that it is half full is weird! No need to point out the placement of the label.

If the PIH is real, but has a replica label it doesn't really diminish anything does it? Labels get ruined. It happens.

The description has it at 9 inches. I haven't been looking as long as some of you, but I think the going rate for 2015 bottles is 8.5 on the "buck" and 8.75 on the replicas. Logically, the description for last months auction would have been 9 inches too, but it wasn't.

32. Java

Java Sr Member

If we don't have any "records from production" how do "we ALL know they made a TON of all these hand props"?

Since "we ALL know" there should be some evidence of a flip top Diet Pepsi from the film. As of yet there isn't any that I have seen, I hope there is. Perhaps somebody out there has one they can share! I've seen a "Screen Used" Diet Pepsi bottle laying next to a ruler at 9 inches tall (same as that weird half full 2004 PIH 10 bottle).

So, they made lathe-turned wooden ones, vac-formed hollow and solid ones. And they were all different shapes, sizes and materials. Were they 8.5, 8 5/8, 8.75 or 9 inches?

Screen used Stormtrooper helmets have been identified and matched to scenes based on "blurry screencaps" so I wouldn't be so quick to discredit the method.

33. Roland

I bet that this will happen in 2015: Nike will start a relaunch of Mags, but much cheaper and available for everyone, and Pepsi will make a special Pepsi Perfect edition with screen accurate bottles. Let's just wait three years! ;)

34. Onkelpsycho

Onkelpsycho Sr Member

Sure, and everything limited... So if you miss out you can get a pair of shoes for $1500...

And Pepsi? I don't think they will do something like this...

35. Gary Weaver II

Check screenused.com and ketzer.com. Their bottles are identical in most respects to the ones I own and I'll be damed if I don't see any "ridge". Are you publicly saying that their bottles are also replicas too? I certainly hope not.

I think the only real problem with these bottles is that "I" own them. You started this thread with a misdirected slight at my replicas and now you honestly appear to just be making things up to support YOUR wild conspiracy theory about replica bottles - bottles which have somehow been unknown for over 20 years in the replica community. How convenient for you.

36. 11051955

11051955 Member

Evidence of a flip top Diet Pepsi has been on screenused for years, in the archive section. [​IMG] If in regards to screen time that we see, I would have to look through some stuff. They gave bottles to alot of extras to walk around with. One example looks to be a solid one on the making of Part 2 special. [​IMG]

37. Java

Java Sr Member

I set out to make a replica of this bottle. The first step is research. The best source I had was photos of the PIH bottles that went to auction in December. Once satisfied I started. During the process I was sent a bottle that was purported to come from a Production source.

On this bottle was a detail I had not seen before. So in order to verify the bottle in hand, I had to look for that detail. I found it in multiple places. I did not make up that detail on the bottle. It IS there. You don't even need objectivity to acknowledge that point.

As such, in the process of scouring for this detail several things began to stand out which I have listed here.

Unfortunately the Profiles In History bottle collection was the set I had the best references of and the clear Pepsi bottle did not match up with anything on screen. The auction listing (attached) states that it is the bottle Marty has in the Cafe 80's scene. It isn't. There is no flip top on the Cafe 80's bottle and it's even been corroborated in this very thread that the Cafe 80's bottle is likely a solid casting. The listing also alludes to being the McFly house bottle. It isn't.

The flip top in the McFly house scene that Marlene has; the entire assembly is painted blue. The PIH flip top is only painted blue on the outer layer.

The Pepsi bottle Doc tosses into Mr. Fusion doesn't have a flip top.

I didn't make any of this up and I wish I could've observed all this before the December auction, regardless of who owns it now.

No flip top Diet Pepsi bottle ever appears on screen, and I have not seen any in production continuity stills. In the Cafe 80's scene, one of the actors picks up his Slice and pretends to drink from it. Both Slice bottles have flip tops and they are in the open position. IF there were ANY production made flip Diet Pepsi's made this is the scene it should have been in. It makes no sense to go through the effort to make "TONS" of these hand props yet fail to use a single one, especially when that detail was not overlooked on the Slice bottles in the very same scene.

I'll be getting back to my build now.

38. Gary Weaver II

You do that. I'm going to enjoy my LEGIT production made 2015 Pepsi bottles and others will enjoy the replicas made from them. :)

39. Java

Java Sr Member

I saw this 3d scanner software that these guys in Germany created. This thing is really amazing. It uses a regular webcam and a laser level. I had to try it!

[​IMG]

It even grabs texture.

[​IMG]

For kicks I imported it into Rhino 3d and spun the mesh to create the complete object. I'll clean it up later. This was done with stuff I had around the house. A low res web cam, a so-so laser line-level and the FREE version of the software that saves to low res. How' bout that!!

[​IMG]

Here was the original setup:

[​IMG]

I thought this was a cool thing to get this thread back on track.

Someday will be sooner than later. I've just been inspired to do exactly this :thumbsup

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  40. PropperAlex

PropperAlex New Member

Hi Java. Thanks for the incredibly detailed research!

41. Java

Java Sr Member

Here's my build next to the production casting.

42. Onkelpsycho

Onkelpsycho Sr Member

Looks nice...

Yeah, there is a guy here in germany with a 3D printer, but I dont know how big the stuff is, he can print...

I suggest the standart resin cast from molds, the classic way...

43. Jedifyfe

That production casting looks really odd to me. The angle looks too sharp and too low on the bottle. What is the lineage of it?

44. steveo3002

could we not have one made from wood then take molds and make them at a reasonble cost for the non clear versions?

45. Java

Java Sr Member

Don't worry. I have a nice solution for everybody interested.

46. Java

Java Sr Member

Here's a test hit on the vac-former to see what's what.

47. steveo3002

looking good

48. Onkelpsycho

Onkelpsycho Sr Member

Yeah, very nice, man... Looks good...

49. jdraimer

jdraimer Active Member

That Vac-Form looks awesome!

50. joelgoodson

joelgoodson Well-Known Member

How much would you think you could charge for 1 bottle?

Thanks!