Brett's cap from Alien...

Dear Carson Dyle, I bought said cap somewhere along the early 80's. I bought it through an ad on a book of matches. The company was called Striking it Rich Enterprises. I still have the original cap in very good condition. Let me know if you want to see a photo of it.
Regards,
William Prieto
Conyers, Georgia Via Cerritos California

I found My Thinking Cap company hat at my in-laws last year. I acquired this cap in 1979 from a matchbook ad called striking it Rich enterprises. I paid $10 for it and still looks good.

kinda on topic... an interview with comic book artist / writer Tristan Jones wearing one of the Bret cap's i made, i think it films pretty nicely... not totally happy with the first caps, although these we're my first attempt at recreating something so based on that i think they turned out alright... have some idea's to implement on my next attempt/s...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp-aZ6i4j8s

here are some pictures ( these have been posted before in another forum )... after these photo's we're taken i added some additional distressing and staining... any feedback about how i could improve them or make them more accurate would be greatly appreciated!

1.JPG2.jpg3.jpg

Hi
I wanted to share my pictures of the Original Thinking Cap Company version. I bought it from Forbidden Planet in London many many years ago...prob around 1980 but I cant recall exactlyDSC_0395.JPGDSC_0399.JPGDSC_0401.JPGDSC_0396.JPGDSC_0402.JPGDSC_0394.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0393.JPG
    DSC_0393.JPG
    537.7 KB · Views: 232
Ebay has a close-ish offering to match the Paul Allen collected cap. Patch is part of the front of the cap so it lays pretty flat.
As delivered had to trim some of the white material around the edges of the patch away but it's easy.

eKoKO4Fh.jpg

uL32Vewh.jpg

uc3cIhHh.jpg

There's a cap on the bay listed as a vintage Thinking Cap Co hat going for US$2,000. A little rich for me.

There's a cap on the bay listed as a vintage Thinking Cap Co hat going for US$2,000. A little rich for me.

A bit yeah I would say.

All I have left of mine I got back in the day is the patch, sadly the thing pretty much disintegrated with age and that
was all I could scavenge. I guess the heat got to it while it was stored for decades.

Last edited:
I've had t-shirts crumble to dust in my hands due to excessive humidity (bit like a Hammer movie Dracula!). Must have been hard to take seeing that happen to your cap. My Thinking Cap version is still in good shape, thankfully.

My Diamond Select Cap, while not completely screen accurate, has had the honor of being in a few commcerial ore carriers and thus I deem it legit! I also pinned an engineering badge on, in honor of Harry Dean Stanton, and a USCG CPO pin. It has a history.

The only legitimacy my cap has is that back in 1979 or 1980 HR Giger did a signing at Forbidden Planet in London and I had a photo taken of me wearing it shaking his hand (completely nerding out). I have to dig it out but it's back in London!

Ebay has a close-ish offering to match the Paul Allen collected cap. Patch is part of the front of the cap so it lays pretty flat.
As delivered had to trim some of the white material around the edges of the patch away but it's easy.

View attachment 1296095
Picked one of these up from amazon the other day. It's interesting in that the emblem is embroidered into the hat, it's NOT a patch! Also there's a label that reads "USS Nostromo ALIEN TM" but no other copyrights. It's not a bad offering in my opinion.

Picked one of these up from amazon the other day. It's interesting in that the emblem is embroidered into the hat, it's NOT a patch! Also there's a label that reads "USS Nostromo ALIEN TM" but no other copyrights. It's not a bad offering in my opinion.

yeah, the patch can take and hold a bit of bend, more flexible like in the film, not holding a perfect curve when it's a patch affixed to the hat.
Wish they had matched the patch colors a little better and scrambled eggs separated a little more. Have half a mind to weather it a bit with a washer and dryer cycle, maybe let the sun have at it a while.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back