Boba Fett...what's a fair dollar amount?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by spcglider@aol.com, Feb 21, 2006.

1. spcglider@aol.com

spcglider@aol.com Sr Member

Hey folks,

I'm just testing the waters.

What, in your estimation, is a fair amount to pay for a decent Boba Fett costume?

You know, something complete with shoes and accessories but not anything outrageous? Not with microphones or fully deatiled helmet interior or anything like that. Just a decent suit to wear to a convention?

Just curious. Mods, if this sort of question is verboten here, please let me know.

-Gordon

2. slave1pilot

slave1pilot Sr Member

That's a real tuff question.
    Quality is a major factor in determining price.
    so is accuracy.
    check around over on TDH
    http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/
    There's a wealth of info over there, & the guys are happy to share it.

3. Durasteel Corporation

Durasteel Corporation Well-Known Member

Yes I agree its a huge question.

Accuracy is something to consider. What is it worth to you? Your neighbor might think a suit of plastic armor is trash...to be recycled...others will ransom their kids. I am amazed at how many costume replicas lack proportion....or even an attempt at it. Look at the shape, look at the depth, look at the placement. When a Fett chest plate that looks like Africa or South America is literally the size of African or South American....you get the idea.

Durability is something to think about as well: What are your intentions? Trooping? Well for trooping, some original materials are not ideal....remember in the films they had backup parts in case something broke or was damaged. In real life thats your time and money bro.

Long term interest: Are you planning on incorporating this costume in your will? In otherwords, how far down the road do you think youll find use of this suit?

Time...boy, a super accurate Fett suit is arguably one of the hardest to assemble. Ive seen a lot of guys give up and sell off their stuff as they are too worn out to keep working on sometthing over several years.

Use: Whats it for? Staring at when you have cheese and wine parties? Trooping...impressing kids at charity events. Hoping youll get your photo in SW Insider .

And my pet peeve....if you plan on wearing the suit....please be very close to J. Bullochs size. I hate seeing overweight guys, super tall guys, short dudes, whatever try and shoehorn themselves into a suit. You can Stewart Smalley (or however you spell it) yourself all ya want, but to "capture" the look dont try to be something youre not. If youre note between 5'9 and 6ft and not thin or fit, please dont try....we may try to think we look okay but people do cringe...impress, dont depress I guess.

4. NEKROFANATIC

NEKROFANATIC Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

good luck on finding the info, as its been said above, there ain't no magic number, but I figure $2000 will get you a pretty * nice suit. You keep cheap it and get something for roughly $1000 as well... Really depends on what your after I gather. If you're an F/X trooper kinda guy, $1000 will be fine, but if you're TE armour and nothing but, expect the 2 large.

As for sizing, it matters not a wit what size you are. As long as YOU like it, go for it. My 5'6" wife did Darth Vader this year and EVERYONE loved her. Not one person came up to her and said, you are just too short to be Vader. She had people running up to her just to see the suit and say hi. To paraphrase a popular SW character: Size matters not.

5. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

To simply answer the question...I'd say $2000. Which is for a NICE suit...not super accurate,bells & whistles & chest displays. You get the picture.

As mentioned Fett is arguably the hardest complete Star Wars costume that is commonly replicated spanning years. Heck I wouldn't sell mine for nearly anything at this point some 6 years later and roughly $4K in materials resulting in major "upgrades" over the years.

Steve

6. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

I would agree that it would probably be around the $2K mark to complete a nice suit. I've been working on mine for close to a year and I'm still not done.
    Also ditto on checking out The Dented Helmet forums. Great bunch, and unbelievable amounts of reference info.

7. WebChief

WebChief Sr Member

Fett is one of the hardest Star Wars costumes to complete... hands down.

I've been working on mine off and on since 2001 and have spent over $3k on it. I'm still not done.

I wouldn't worry about size... Drew's comment on size is a bit harsh. Personally if the costume is done well no one's going to care how short or tall you are. I've stood side by side with Jeremy Bulloch and he's about 6 feet tall. I've got 2 inches on him. Never once have I heard anyone complain about how I looked because I was slightly taller than him. :rolleyes

8. Studio Stasis

Studio Stasis Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I started my fett costume over 4 years ago and I still have yet to complete it. I have spent almost 3k on it and I dont see any end in sight. Once completed I would not part with it for anywhere near what I put into it because of the time, effort, and even contacts to get the kind of parts that I have. I wouldnt even say I have an elite suit. It can be done for cheaper, I just chose to get the best of everything.

Josh

9. saxe coburg

saxe coburg Sr Member

I've got close to $2500 in mine.... I would venture to say that you could build a "fair" Boba costume for $1000, if you really shop around and do alot of the work yourself.

10. shortimer52

shortimer52 Well-Known Member

Might as well spend the money now b/c if you dont youll spent it later. I went with the ok Boba at first ,,, well about 3 G's later I have the great Boba. So spent the money. Then again if you have skills you can do it for a 1000.

11. OPPI

OPPI Well-Known Member

I could see 2000 if you did it all as a kit, unassembled and unpainted. To get a decent Boba all finished and ready to waer or display is going to run you well over 2000. Especially if you want FG vs. sintra/vacformed for the armor and helmet.

dan

12. Bountyhunter Niko

Bountyhunter Niko Well-Known Member

I agree with most of the rest. $2000 should do it. If you do your homework and spend a while shopping and talking. This is not a outfit that will come easy. I have seen a few complete suit for sale - BUT none that was worth buying.

Good luck and have fun .

13. Durasteel Corporation

I dont mean it to sound harsh or mean at all WebChief....I mean it in the truest sense of the concept. A charactor that was about 5'11 or very close to looks best when worn by somone close to that size....Im 6'7 bro....Fetts chest plates look like 'pasties' on me. :lol So proportion refers to both costume to costume part proportion as well as the wearer. As for those who are very heavy....hey, nothing personal. Ive got heavyset friends....bug again, Fett was a very slim cat, and someone who does not fit the bill detracts from the classic look. And frankly, its not being unfriendly to be more candid with people who dont reliaze they are drawing negative stares....people should be more frank....we are too pc in that sense. I dont look good in trooper armor....Im not offended.

14. deralis

deralis Well-Known Member

I just started On Mine too... Well the helmet at least.
    Got a long way to go but save, save, save.
    and do lots of research...

15. Qui-Gonzalez

Qui-Gonzalez Master Member

The best suit I have ever seen on here was Motofish's suit. I forget how much he sold it for, but that thing was a-friggin-mazing. That would be the guy to ask, but as others have said, only the truly geeky(us here) would notice how very well done it was. Joe Blow from Kokomo would still be amazed at the suit and love it as well.

My point is the same as others here have made; if you want a suit you are happy with and don't really care about flawless screen accuracy, you will spend much less.

16. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

I do have to agree with Drew on the size thing.....as I too have seen some Fett's that don't exactly fit the role....same goes for many other costumes...Trooper, Heros,etc.

I too think that ones stature at the very least should fit the general parameters of a character one is trying to pull off be it height,or weight. It's why most guys who wear their Vader costumes "bulk" up with extra padding underneath their costumes...who wants to see a scrawny Vader? Nothing personal,but heck even Leia knew a short Stormtrooper when she saw one ;)

Steve

17. GundamZeppelin

GundamZeppelin Sr Member

I would say 2000 if your lucky on ebay you might just get a nice suit for that price, but a full boba suit is a once in a blue moon thing. But getting your suit piece buy piece lets you pick the parts you like most ;)

18. Fetthunter

Fetthunter Sr Member

While I have seen some people build Fett suits (or more accurately, "custom Mandalorian suits") out of materials such as plastic garbage cans and Yard Sale signs for $100 (I'm not kidding), I chose to spend a bit more time (4 years+) and money (~$3500) on my personal suit.

Granted, I only have 1 other costume that I wear (Tusken raider with Godzilla-made mask), so I don't have to spread my money out amongst 8 different costumes as some people do. Still, I think that, for the most part, you get what you pay for. I did my homework and chose the parts that I did very carefully. I also did about 95% of the work on my suit and all of the painting. The money that I saved on labor was spent on buying "better" parts.

You can put together a suit for $1000 if you scrimp on the parts and do all of the work yourself, $2000 if you shop around for good deals on better parts and do a lot of the labor yourself, and $3000 if you want all of the "top shelf" parts and doodads.

I know I've spent a lot on mine, but it's "my thing". Some guys have "project cars", some have killer gaming PCs, some have crazy hunting gear. I have an expensive costume. :lol

In all seriousness though, I think my Fett suit has given me more happiness than any other item I've ever owned. The expressions on kids' faces at events - and the places that I've been able to go to and see while wearing my suit - are priceless. :D

Good luck on your journey. :thumbsup

19. Trooper TK409

Trooper TK409 Well-Known Member

On my current version, I've spent about $1500 before painting and assembling. That's not including the several upgrades I did before - that's just if I had to replace each piece. Of course, the time waiting for parts to ship to you is another big "cost". I'd say if you had the cash ready to expect about 10-12 months total for you to finish it.

20. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Wow. I'm glad I chose Vader. :D

Seems a lot less complicated and much easier to attain accuracy.

21. Swedolorian

Swedolorian New Member

I've estimated that I have spent 2300$ on my Jango.
    Both Boba and Jango have a lot of parts that you need to have.
    All the details like the wookie braids and chest calculater, and the leather works on Jango makes both suits very expencive.
    Then you have the helmets... A nice paint job makes the difference.

22. mike d

mike d Well-Known Member

I spent close to $1500 on mine for all the parts. I bought a kit for the hardparts, got someone to sew the Jumpsuit and i painted and assembled the whole thing myself. There is so many small parts for Fett like the dentalexpander, Jetpack beacon, chestlights and small bits and pieces which makes it expensive. Not to mention the complicated paintwork and softparts that will be needed. The boots are a pain to track down too. I spent almost 2 years on my costume and were still not satisfied as better parts became available.

23. motorfish

motorfish Well-Known Member

The last Fett suit I sold for about $8000.00. It took about six years total to slowly aquire the most accureate parts which were available at the time. The helmet took ther better part of six months to paint alone.

I agree that around the 3000 range will get you something pretty decent in the way of a completed Fett suit. Fett is a really tough costume to nail, and a real bitch to paint and weather correctly. Just the raw materials for a good Fett will cost you about 1200, and up to 2000 for the highest end stuff, and that's before you even get the stuff painted.

Fett is pricey. ^_^

24. Durasteel Corporation

* mf....got pics of that suit? Were all the parts original....vs. accurate?

25. rmschneider104

rmschneider104 Sr Member

What do you folks think is a more difficult/more expensive project... pulling together a super accurate Vader suit or a super accurate Boba suit???

26. rigormortis

rigormortis Well-Known Member

An accurate Vader is usually more expensive (mine is up to about $4500 and I'm still tweaking it).

With all the parts required to do an accurate Fett, I can easily see it being close. Now that guys are making aluminum plates and helms, I can see the Fett being more expensive real soon.

27. Durasteel Corporation

yup, that quilted leather suit (750-1000) and all that wool (400ish) will hit ya hard, real fast.

Then the paint job will nail ya at another what, 600??? Been a while since I had my helmet painted.... :p

28. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

Around $2800+ for what you see here. Add another $225 for the mannequin and stand, grand total for the display $3025+

[image]http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/F1_4.jpg[/image]
    [image]http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/Ft34.jpg[/image]
    [image]http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/600x450_Back231.JPG[/image]
    The helmet and armor are the best of the best.
    All prices are from my rusty memory and what I could find through my PayPal recordsÂ…
    HelmetÂ….
    FP MSH2 helmet $262
    BKBT Metal stalk $35
    Lens $20
    Padding materials $10

ArmorÂ….
    FP chest armor $50
    FP Shoulder bells and collar $36
    TDH member made Metal armor attachment blocks (6) $20
    FP cod piece, knees, $83
    DeanO Machined knee darts $40
    FP Gauntlets $285
    TDH member accurate replacement Resin rocket $40
    Misc. doodads and doo hickies, hoses, to detail gauntlets $40
    BobaPhett 4 machined darts $40
    RA back plate and butt plate, $50
    TDH member chest and shoulder decals $10
    Shackman chest lights $185
    RA JP $550
    DeanO machined JP detail parts $40
    TDH member accurate JP decals $15
    Accurate scuba belt buckle and belt, $25
    Accurate tent shelter cape $25

Jumpsuit and soft partsÂ….
    Selfmade Jumpsuit, spats, $85
    RA vest highly modifed by me $50
    Mohair dyed girth $25
    Wookie scalpes self made $15
    Reidmiller ammo belt $70
    Slave1 gloves $50
    Slave1 side pouchÂ’s $50
    JW boots $170
    TDH member resin spikes $25

Accurate Patterson shin tools $50
    MB ROTJ resin Fett rifle $250

Misc parts, movie accurate paints, putties, glues, epoxies, liquid masks, tape, assembly screws, nuts, bolts, plastic, velcro, elastic straps, detail tape, you name it, etc. $150 +

I have probably forgotten some stuff here, it has been a long time since I finished this.

This suit is also my FINAL, yes FINAL, V5 BTW... :lol

The price above dosn't include the $1000's I spent on the earlier versions and sold to help the later versions.

Thanks WC for the pic hosting.
    Lynn

29. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

I had pics of his suit here some where, I can't find them now, but they were fan made and not overly accurate parts compared to what is available now.

Lynn

30. JUDGE_HELLFAST

JUDGE_HELLFAST Well-Known Member

Fett is not an easy quest to dive into. It takes a lot of research and time to put this guy together. The nice thing about Fett is this gear will help with your building skills greatly. It always seems like there is something to upgrade with Fett as well...and there are folks out there who always seem to be creating something more accurate and better builds on equipment. I would be prepared to spend a good amount of cash on this guy if you do decide to take on this project.

Good luck to you, bro and happy building.

P.S. There are some nice Fetts posted. Nice job on those gents.

31. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

Thanks..
    Lynn

32. Durasteel Corporation

Yeah Lynn....Ive always liked your suit.

33. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

Thanks man.

Lynn

34. stormtrooperguy

stormtrooperguy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

i'm in it for around $3000 so far...

[​IMG]

and growing daily...

35. batninja

batninja Well-Known Member

A Fett costume is definitely not for the faint of heart, or pocketbook. I've built three complete Fett costumes over the years, totaling $4000+ (I spent almost $2000 on the last one). I'm working on the next incarnation, but this time, I've made a list of sellers who I'll be doing business with, and a budgetary guideline. Having a budget helps in better decision-making down the road.

36. abntroop1

abntroop1 Active Member

yeah, no kiddin, takin on a fett is like preparing to climb everest, emotionally, and financially. I've got about 3 grand into my jango give or take a couple hundred, and theres still little stuff I wanna tweak here n there. definitely not for the faint of heart or undetermined, but well worth it in the long run
    :)

37. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

This thread is of great interest to me as Boba will be my next costume. I was hoping I could get something decent for about $2000 initially and then tweak it over time. Looks like I'll be able to do that.

38. jangos kid

jangos kid New Member

I'm in for about $4000 and 5 years worth of unending work and upgrades on mine, and I made almst all the soft parts myself. I stil have alot of things to do on it yet. BUT, the knowlege of the suit has increased greatly since I started on mine, as has the quality/accuracy of parts available, so If I had to start from scratch these days, I bet I could have done it for considerably less. You'll save alot of time & money by researching and getting good stuff right away.
    D
    http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=12866

Yeah, I always love seeing pics of lynns' suit. that is a great one..

39. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

Was the Fett jumpsuit based on a standard model, or was it completely made from scratch? What does it look like under the armor?

40. Fetthunter

Fetthunter Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(GeneralMayhem @ Jun 16 2006, 05:36 PM) [snapback]1262868[/snapback]</div>
    I believe it's a custom jumpsuit. The double sleeves, thigh pouches, and other things would make it a little odd to be a "stock" jumpsuit. :D

I've put $3100 into my ROTJ Fett since 2002. I can't remember if that figure includes my jetpack or not, though, so I might actually have more invested than I thought. Crap. Now I have to go and crunch the numbers again... :lol

Yeah, Fett is expensive and not a costume you can build in your garage in a weekend (same with Boushh). If you tackle it, do your research before jumping in. I started researching Mark Bradley's website back in 1999 and kept gathering reference material until I started construction in 2002. There's more info now, so it's easier to obtain accurate information, but still it's a daunting costume to tackle. Good luck. :thumbsup

41. Darthmiller

Darthmiller Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I hate to admit but I have spent almost $5000 on my current Fett and I am still upgrading..

today is a great day because I am finally getting FETTPRIDE fiberglass armor

my advice- spend a year doing research...then buy your stuff. My problem was I would do a little research and think I had found the best stuff only to find out a few months later I could have done better

its a fun costume to do but very very expensive.

I also have a VADER and I can tell you that FETT is much more difficult and expensive

42. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

I don't come cheap.

Sorry .......thought you said Frett.

43. CMANavy

CMANavy Sr Member

I am sitting at around $1200-$1300 or so and I still have alot of parts to go, but so far I have top notch stuff, but I still need to ugrade a thing or two and I don't even have a few of the items in hand yet.

Oh yeah and the painting is a $%d @#$n Son of a @934h. I have been so * off about several things while painting my helmet. You can check out my progress thread on TDH.

44. Ripcode

Ripcode Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Darthmiller @ Jun 17 2006, 06:10 PM) [snapback]1263260[/snapback]</div>
    I'm at $3300 and counting... :unsure

I'm not even finished and I've upgraded pieces already. I have no idea when it will be done or what the final cost will be.

I have an Excel spreadsheet set up to track every penny I put into this suit. Probably not the best idea... :cry

Fettpride armor eh... you lucky dog. :p

45. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Boba Fett is a costuming endeavor not to be taken lightly; there is such a linage and history it take an individual with a meticulous personality and a slightly fixation to detail to really nail it.

Ripcode is right, counting every penny put into your suit will drive any normal person into feats of insanity for good reason since better items and upgrades are constantly popping up in community.

If you really want to effectively put together a suit you really need to establish how much you willing to pump into this project, what quality and accuracy are you willing to settle for and most importantly how long your willing to wait. Sometimes having the right knowledge and connections can make all the difference and save you a few dollars but you’re still looking to spend $2700 minimum if you do all the labor.

I can't even wrap my head around how much I’ll be in over once I get the ball rolling on my Jango. :lol

(I think I can feel an ulcer coming on. :lol :lol :lol )

46. Ripcode

<div class='quotetop'>(Andy @ Jun 21 2006, 01:05 AM) [snapback]1264939[/snapback]</div>
    One of the members of The Dented Helment recently finished a jaw dropping ESB version of Boba Fett. I don't know what his cost was, but it took him 5 years to get to that point. That is dedication. So not only will the money help, but you have to be patient and willing to stick it out.

47. Darth Fett

Darth Fett New Member

hey ripcode do you have a link i want to see it

48. Ripcode

<div class='quotetop'>(Darth Fett @ Jun 21 2006, 10:18 PM) [snapback]1265554[/snapback]</div>
    ESB Boba Fett costume

49. Darth Fett

Darth Fett New Member