Blockade Runner engines

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by ShowCraft, Jun 20, 2006.

1. ShowCraft

ShowCraft Well-Known Member

Any sugestions as to what the engine grills might be? (no, they are not slide film trays)

2. Krachenvogel

Krachenvogel Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Samos 3 @ Jun 20 2006, 03:47 PM) [snapback]1264648[/snapback]</div>
    Could be an impeller fan, though there are an awful lot of blades. The way the central hub widens out toward the bottom makes me think that. Or maybe a heat sink, a larger version of the ones on the X wing guns?

3. cobywan

cobywan Sr Member

Could it be the compressor fan part from the old 1/24th scale Harrier kit?

4. boatbuilder1

boatbuilder1 Well-Known Member

it looks scratch built to me in all the assembly photos and primer photos it looks like is is merely squares of plexi. IMHO

5. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

6. Less than Super Ostrich

Less than Super Ostrich Well-Known Member

yep, must be scratchbuilt at the scale the RBR was.

7. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

I'm pretty sure I've seen shots where the ILM model makers were installing the individual fins into the engine.

Hence scratchbuilt, and one of the many intimidation factors when considering building this thing...

8. ShowCraft

I wish they were scratch built, though I sure wouldnt look forward to making eleven of those things. The bell shaped inner core and double decker fin set up with the lower fins being V shaped (fatter at the outer ends) tells me that this is an off the shelf mechanical part from maybe a home apliance or something like that.

9. PHArchivist

10. star-art

star-art Sr Member

Don't let that hold you back, Jim. Laser cut parts and a jig assembled from precision laser-cut parts and you will be rockin' and rollin'. ;)

11. ShowCraft

Yeah, I know I'm going to end up scratching these things. I was just hopeing to be pointed in the right direction to finding out what they really are. I miss that AH HA... moment when after a long search, you finally find that oh so elusive part.

12. PHArchivist

Is this thread the first we've heard of your venture? Or did I miss something...?

13. Darth Detroit

Darth Detroit Sr Member

Almost looks like IGV vanes to a TF-33 to me.

14. ShowCraft

IGV who to a TF-333 what? :confused Had to google that one. The veins are straight front to back so that rules out rotors or blades. My guess is its something really lame like a coffee filter of some sort. Someone could always just ask Grant McCune HAH.

15. Darth Detroit

Darth Detroit Sr Member

Besides the inlet to an IGV to a TF-33 is about 5 feet. :)