Bio Helmet and Hands

Feng1

I have two questions if you don’t mind answering them.

First! How do you make the hands for a predator? I’m at an eternal red light on this one. I’d like to have a cheap and easy way to make them preferably and safe around people so I don’t accidentally claw out their eyes. That wouldn’t end well.

And secondly, how could I make a bio helmet fit over a predator mask? And is it even possible having a mask over a mask? I’ve seen a few videos with people who had a predator mask on and just put on the helmet with ease and look around without the helmet falling off. Does anyone know how to place a bio helmet on a masked predator face so that it doesn’t fall off or mess up the mask it’s resting on?

Thanks a bunch for the help or tips!

Hey there! I'm new to this as well, hope my ideas would make sense. I plan to use a fitting glove, probably something like a neoprene diving glove for the base, extend the fingers a bit and add claws. The extensions will be made using cardboard and foam. Probably put a latex glove over the whole thing before covering it up in liquid latex. You can use foam for the claws for safety. As I have access to fiberglass, I would probably glass some of the parts before putting on the latex to make it stronger.

As far as I know, most full-sized bios fit the masks somewhat perfectly. I'd look for a close-mouthed mask if I were to mount the bio over it. (Thanks for that tip, Guan!) The bio is mounted via strong rare earth magnets. As for me, I'm too small for a full-sized bio and mask, so I'm sculpting my own!

Hope that helps.

Ge'tal is pretty much right on. If I was building a budget suit I would spend the most money on a mask, hands, and feet. If the rest of the suit is minimal the mask, hands, and feet will pull it together and make it look much better. I use magnets on a full face mask with a bio and on an open face/ 3/4 mask and a bio I use velcro because it wont be seen and its a stronger hold. As far as damaging the mask taking the bio off and on...its gonna do some minor paint damage from rubbing but, thats the nature of the beast.

Making the hands doesn’t seem to be too hard to make now. You think that you could also possibly use those monster hands that you usually find in Halloween stores? Just a thought that might work. Anyway, great idea with the gloves!

I’m currently in the process of making a mask with a closed mouth. If it was open, then the teeth would break off when the bio was set on it, no? So a closed mouth would be the most sensible if I were to slap on the bio helmet. My main concern would be making sure that the bio won’t fall off and break after I think it’s secured when it isn’t.

I like the idea of using magnets to hold the bio in place on the mask, and the paint rubbing off a bit isn’t such a large set back; it could create an interesting look. Where would you place the magnets in/on the mask? And how strong should the magnets be; like the brand or name of them.

Out of curiosity, where did you place the velcro so it wouldn’t be seen? I want the bio to stay put on the mask; you could say I’m a bit paranoid about the magnets not holding up. Velcro seems to be the safest way to go, at least until a small test model is made for each to see which one holds/works best. What's your opinion?

I just want to gather information before I start to mess around with the helmet and mask; so I don't mess it up. You guys are pretty good with this kind of stuff! With experience and all.

I suggested the gloves technique because you said you were on a budget. Another way would be to go the route you suggested: monster hands.

Have a look at production pics of Predator (the first movie). It shows the actor wearing a 3/4 mask with the velcro on top of the head. I don't think you can use velcro with a full mask, though.

Good luck with your build!

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back