Benofkent Proton pack build

Ghosthead1

Hey guys!

It has been many years since I have built a Ghostbusters proton pack (the last one I did I think in 2012) but I have built at least three. My first one was with a vacuum formed shell. So I figured it was time to build a new one.

My Benofkent pack kit will be here today, 4/21/22 and I will be posting photos of the build here to document. Feel free to chime in with helpful tips and info.

I scored a gbfans full light and sound kit off of eBay so this thing will be full featured apart from the vent feature.

Last edited:
So some good news and some bad news. The bad news is the tracking info I had been following was not for my pack kit but rather the amp for my sound setup. So I am still waiting to receive my pack kit.

The Good news is I got my sound all figured out! It's a heavy props sound board and Jupiter electronics pack/gun light kits with a cana kit 7watt amp to boost the sound. I may make some minor tweaks because the switches don't behave as I would like. So it's a unique sequence to play everything I want to but hey it works and that's all that matters.

Sounds awesome! BoK does amazing Packs. Are you going for a GB1, GB2, or Afterlife look? Personally, I'd love to make a convertible pack that can switch between the first two films, since there are mainly just slight differences between the two (ion arm, ribbon cable, crank knob, general weathering, etc.). :)

Well the heavy props used sound board ended up konking out on me. I would have to unsolder the pins, get a new set of pins, and resolder it all back together. Way more work than I want to put into this. BUT The guy I bought it off of from ebay replaced it with a GBFANS sound board so now I have two GBFANS sound kits! He was super nice and helpful. I love it when people in this community are actually nice and help each other. So now the only thing to do regarding the electronics is to figure out how to wire my Jupiter electronics to the GBFANS board to have full functionality.
As for the pack kit, I am getting the run around. Ben, said they told him it would be delivered yesterday, and then they told him updated tracking would be available Monday with delivery a few days later. So as of right now I still am waiting for my pack kit.

To give you guys some idea of what I have going into this project,

Real legris banjo, straights, and elbows. Some elbows are the generation two with the angle on top and some are gen 1 with the rounded top. I plan on using all gen 1's on this pack.

I have real orange and milky white hat lights with sockets.

Jupiter electronics gun light kit with accurate bar graph display will be put on my current GB1 pack so the new GB2 pa k will have the GBFANS full lights and sound kit in it.

I have an alice pack frame with straps and all the brass fittings for the pack as well as an aluminum bumper label.

I will have photos as soon as I get more stuff in and hopefully I can share video of the electronics also.

Well the heavy props used sound board ended up konking out on me. I would have to unsolder the pins, get a new set of pins, and resolder it all back together. Way more work than I want to put into this. BUT The guy I bought it off of from ebay replaced it with a GBFANS sound board so now I have two GBFANS sound kits! He was super nice and helpful. I love it when people in this community are actually nice and help each other. So now the only thing to do regarding the electronics is to figure out how to wire my Jupiter electronics to the GBFANS board to have full functionality.
As for the pack kit, I am getting the run around. Ben, said they told him it would be delivered yesterday, and then they told him updated tracking would be available Monday with delivery a few days later. So as of right now I still am waiting for my pack kit.

To give you guys some idea of what I have going into this project,

Real legris banjo, straights, and elbows. Some elbows are the generation two with the angle on top and some are gen 1 with the rounded top. I plan on using all gen 1's on this pack.

I have real orange and milky white hat lights with sockets.

Jupiter electronics gun light kit with accurate bar graph display will be put on my current GB1 pack so the new GB2 pa k will have the GBFANS full lights and sound kit in it.

I have an alice pack frame with straps and all the brass fittings for the pack as well as an aluminum bumper label.

I will have photos as soon as I get more stuff in and hopefully I can share video of the electronics also.
Can I suggest you see what's been posted on the facebook group "Ghostbusters: How to build a proton pack" about BoK shipping run-arounds that others (including myself) have experienced in recent months. You are not the only one who's had this issue!

70E80493-FA1C-40D2-87E9-D753EB8C51E9.jpeg
EE669148-04D4-4FC1-B6BA-F5C84BE5A0E8.jpeg
1BBE645D-5E74-4508-8B35-D312E671477F.jpeg
BA2EC9A6-6453-4CF0-B71E-831FCF85E3C6.jpeg

Making progress. Masked out the shell and applied primer. Then applied Homax wall texture followed by lacquer and semi gloss black which is not pictured because it was too shiny. I have hit it with a matte finish and it's drying.

Some of the masked off areas developed orange peel so I sanded them down a resprayed.

But I think it's looking good now.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back