Bearded Thor

FlourPower

To break with the Avengers Thor builds and because it's always been my favourite I am trying to work out how I might go about making a Bearded Thor suit of armour.

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/5230/874517-76012_127024_thor_super_super.jpg

My initial idea is to make hexagon scales from a blue dyed leather and stitch them onto a blue vest. However some source drawings such as http://www.comicbooked.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/ThorMonarque.jpg Show non-hexagonal scales and scales sat overlapping such that one sits on the other.

I think based on the figure (which would be my master workpiece) hexagonal plates are the best way to go with an overlap to give a scale armour effect. This however concerns me that possibly over time the bottom corner of the hexagons could raise up. Is there anything that leather can be backed in that would take to washing but allow the hexagons to keep their shape?

I think I'll fibreglass/P38 the discs and attach chains. Then I have to work out the boots but I figure the scales first. I already have the helm in metal and plastic. So it might be a case of seeing about a new metallic paintjob on the plastic helm (the limited metal one is far too heavy to wear for more than a couple of minutes).

I got some fabric samples from fabricUK of some pleather. I'd love to have this made from a solid boiled leather and sown with sinew in some epic form of actual armour, however back in the real(ish) world I don't think my budget, time or skill lends itself to that and thus I believe my choice for the blue parts is a fake leather.

download-1.jpg

The fabric looks lighter IRL and the lines in it appear almost a turquoise colour like little dancing lines of lightning. It seemed to look better and break up the colouring of the pleather such that I think I'll get a better effect at the end of it.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back