Battleship on the Superbowl

Ford W Maverick

So the Superbowl just sowed a new trailer for the movie Battleship. Is it a bad sign that up till then I thought the movie had already been released, flopped and forgotten?

Not sure what to make of it, looks like a mix of Transformers and Under Siege. But having a great love for the big battlewagons I hope it shows them well.

I read somewhere that it was basically Independence Day at sea. Seems like that to me. I really don't know why I heard it was supposed to have something to do with the game. There's no way you can make a movie about that game.

I read somewhere that it was basically Independence Day at sea. Seems like that to me. I really don't know why I heard it was supposed to have something to do with the game. There's no way you can make a movie about that game.

Actually it does tie into the game at least vaguely, Hasbro sold Paramount a ton rights to board games a few years ago when they figured out Transformers would sucker people.

They are even using the same sound FX and Bay-esque camera moves from Transformers. It just seems a bit strange to me that Peter Berg directed this.

Actually it does tie into the game at least vaguely, Hasbro sold Paramount a ton rights to board games a few years ago when they figured out Transformers would sucker people.

But at least Transformers are characters that you can write a movie about. I don't see how you can make a movie about a board game. Unless it's something like Jumangi or a Oiuja board.

It looks and sounds a lot like Transformers to me. How about they try to make a movie based on Connect Four or Hungry, Hungry Hippo? :confused

As soon as I saw it I thought "There's another Transformers?" The cgi stuff looks just like it, design wise and everything.

I just don't get the logic behind buying a property and then making a movie based on said property that bears almost NO resemblance to the damn property? I would have a lot more respect for this movie if it was named just about anything else. If it was named "Captain Wow vs the Mars Men" and they dropped the pretense of being 'based' on a board game I think it would actually HELP the marketing of this film. As it is people see the trailer and go "Really? I can't wait to not go see that..." It just drains all the credibility out of it and makes it a farce before you've even seen the movie. That's pretty much the exact opposite of what a movie ad campaign is supposed to do.

As soon as I saw it I thought "There's another Transformers?" The cgi stuff looks just like it, design wise and everything.

Oh there's a 4th turd in the works but Bay isn't involved. We 80s fans keep wishing they'd make something that actually looks like a Transformer but sadly Hasbro's made parts of the Bayformer films universal Transformer canon. I see battleship doing well as it will attract teenagers who want to see crap explode.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back