Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

I just can't get behind how they're portraying Superman in these films.

I agree. Superman has always had a very approachable friendly look to him. He looked like a stereotypical boyscout for lack of a better comparison. The MoS superman looks confused or angry all the time. No one is going to look at a face like that and have instant trust like you're supposed to with superman.

It's always been a look that put you at ease despite his power. This, yeah, if i'm batman, just looking at the guy - destruction of MoS aside - i'd be coming out of retirement to keep him in check because he doesn't put you at ease and has no visible element of trust to him.

I kept thinking that the armored Batsuit does not need a cutout for the mouth. Half his face is unprotected. His voice is synthetically altered anyway.
I guess if they covered the mouth he'd look like Iron Man Mk 1.

Wtf lex Luther looked awesome and by far had the best, maybe most cheesy, but best line in the trailer. They said he's suppose to be a cocky kid (mark zuckerburg?) who you would hate as soon as you see him. Also, how do you expect superman to be portrayed? Because this is how I always imagined superman. So please stop being jaded if you're going to watch the damn movie enjoy it.

Not liking Luthor in the latest trailer. Eisenberg is playing him just like I expected which is why I didn't like that casting.
Not sure I really like the whole concept of heaping all of te responsibility on Superman for what happened with Zod. I get that if he was never on the planet Zod never would have come. He didn't know Zod would come or what his motivations would be.
The amount of good he can do for the country and the world should outweigh the outcome of that one incident.
I think the biggest difference between Marvel and DC (at least with the movies) is DC heroes are costumes. If they weren't in their iconic outfits it wouldn't be them.
With Marvel they're not hiding their identities with their outfits. Everyone knows who IM, Cap, Romanov, etc are. Cap can do just as well without being spangley.

Anyway. This movie will be fun and I'll see it but I'm walking in expecting the worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Um...wow. I am all over this movie. Gimme my grimdark! I think the internet can officially issue an apology to Ben Affleck now, amirite? He looks like an outstanding Wayne/Batman. Maybe the best yet.

Also, how do you expect superman to be portrayed? Because this is how I always imagined superman. So please stop being jaded if you're going to watch the damn movie enjoy it.

I expect Superman to be portrayed in a way that I would trust him. Having read the comics, and being well-versed in the various portrayal of him in the differing types of media, he has always been someone that's confident, and a ray of light in a dark world. Cavill's Superman comes across as conflicted and confused. Why? He's Superman! That's not the character they built from 1938 until they changed him with this New 52 nonsense.

The difference between the Marvel CU and the DC one is that Marvel celebrates who their super-heroes are. Why mute them, or change their personalities? Of all the heroes, Superman is the one that should remain a constant Big Blue Boy Scout, or someone that I would feel comfortable with existing. That's not who Superman is. What makes him "lame" and "outdated" compared to the rest of the super-heroes is makes him different and special in a group that's all brooding and conflicted.

And the way the Kents talked to Clark about his powers, I'm surprised that he even bothers to save anyone at all. The minute-or-so of dialogue that Glen Ford had as Jonathan Kent was all I needed to see to know that the man he raised would be a great one. Kevin Costner's, not so much. Diane Lane? Just as bad. Perhaps it's old-fashioned in my view of Superman, but in the words of Phil Coulson, ""With everything that's happening, the things that are about to come to light, people might just need a little old-fashioned."

11403069_1621421071469670_6592977828651798667_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Putting Gotham and Metropolis so close to one another makes it that much more unlikely that Wayne would have a large office in the other city. While, it's likely to have multiple offices through the nation (or world even) - it seems odd for Wayne to have a huge office in Metropolis when it would be more likely for them to keep all their assets under one roof (or immediate area - like a campus).

Sure there is the potential for smaller, satellite type branches - but, it seemed like what we were shown was something a bit bigger than that.

I just think it's a bit silly to put the DC Universe's two biggest cities right next to one another like this.

Isn't Wayne Ent. a multi media company with several sub companies? Having a finance building in a big city like Metropolis seems likely, and probably lots of other posts in cities worldwide. Say a manufacture site here, a finance building there, orphange homes in each big city, a environmental organization to help preserve bats hahaha

To those who still want Supes to be a boy scout: is there room in this world for that anymore? I mean, would anyone pay to see that movie? I imagine some strapping 50s stereotype telling me to stay in school and eat my Wheaties would be a really lame movie. The world has moved on. It's a much more cynical, jaded place. Nobody who can read actually thinks the words "truth, justice, and the American Way" unironically belong together anymore. Old-school nice guy Supes would be a catastrophically cornball box office bomb, and rightly so.

To those who still want Supes to be a boy scout: is there room in this world for that anymore? I mean, would anyone pay to see that movie? I imagine some strapping 50s stereotype telling me to stay in school and eat my Wheaties would be a really lame movie. The world has moved on. It's a much more cynical, jaded place. Nobody who can read actually thinks the words "truth, justice, and the American Way" unironically belong together anymore. Old-school nice guy Supes would be a catastrophically cornball box office bomb, and rightly so.
In my book he doesn't have to be a Boy Scout.
But I think it would be a bold breath of fresh air if they dared to do a Boy Scout in the midst of pessimistic superheroes. A man out of place in society but also with the naïveté of hope. That's no different than it was in the 70's. I think we could use the Boy Scout more than ever.

Instead of a social statement we just get another character who is a product of the times rather than a challenge to the times.

He doesn't have to be all straight-laced. But it would help if he was written or performed well. Both the writing of Supes and the acting of Cavill struggle to inflate the role into more than one dimension. Reeves was at least interesting to watch and likeable. I actually care about the Reeve Superman. I have no empathy or interest in Cavill MoS. I really hope they can get more out of him in this film.

Last edited:
The feel and tone with Superman should be like Captain America. You get the all around good guy/ boy scout in both of the Captain movies. Even with Winter Soldier, as somber toned as that movie was you still had the optimism of Cap through and through. It can be done and not come off as cheesy. That is what MOS lacked and I am afraid this new movie will lack as well.

I'm not seeing anything in this trailer that makes me think Gotham and Metropolis are close together.

It makes sense to me that Wayne Enterprises would have a building in Metropolis, as it is essentially New york and therefore a massive global financial district. I would guess he has the building and occupies a couple of floors and the rest is leased out to other companies, just part of his property portfolio.

On the boy scout issue, in MoS he's new, coming to terms with his powers and thrown in at the deep end with Zod. The trailer obviously shows that he is now being taken to task on those events, by the senate, and Batman. We see him doing a lot of standard Superman rescuing stuff this could be his striving to show the country he is on their side and there to help, and by the end or next film you have the guy who is trusted and is a boy scout because he is now come to terms with his place in the world and the world has come to terms with him being in it.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back