Batman Forever Grapple Upgrade (Complete #8)

13doctorwho

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I bought a kit off eBay years ago of the Grapple Clamp. This prop

094FKKK.jpg

I built it but, I found the resin blades a little disappointing. I recently ran across it and the blades were horribly warped. I decided it needed an upgrade, what about real metal blades. I decided to cut the blades out of aluminum to replace the resin ones.

First I rough cut the shape with a scroll saw...

IMG_0649.jpg

Then I rough cut the slots and drilled the holes...

IMG_0651.jpg

More soon...

Last edited:
Re: Batman Forever Grapple Upgrade

So, more work. I filed the slots to a better shape and rounded the edges. Then I polished the blades. It would have been better to get them done by machine, but I think they look really good for being made on a scroll saw and with a lot of filing.

IMG_0652.jpg

I'm now working on the handle. I've sanded it and am currently priming and painting it. More soon...

End of the weekend update.

I painted the handle flat black. When it's completely cured I'll clear coat it to protect the finish.

IMG_0653.jpg

I test fitted the blades to see how it was looking. The round cap that sits over the posts that hold the blades still needed work so I left it out of the picture...

IMG_0654.jpg

Now I have to wait a few days before I can clear coat the parts, then it's off to final assembly!!!

More soon...

It's finished!! Here are some pictures of the finished prop. I've very pleased with how real it looks with the aluminum blades.

Batcable clamp 1.jpg Batcable clamp 2.jpg Batcable clamp 3.jpg

I love this prop, but the resin kit that came out was so, SO far off from the original... I snapped photos of it when it was at either the WB exhibit or SDCC, and realized the kit (wherever it came from) was pretty bad... I ended up doing the same thing you did, but I had the arms laser cut in plastic and then completely rebuilt the handle and the launcher base. I do love these props, and your replicas of this and the torch are awesome! Let me know if there's any more you might be interested in tackling, I'm pretty sure I'd be able to help out in one way or another ;-)
20160224_163425_resized.jpg20160224_163442_resized.jpggrappl1.jpggrappl1a.jpggrappl1b.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back