Batman Forever Folded Batarang (Stunt)

13doctorwho

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I saw a resin folded Batman Forever batarang prop on one of the auction sites. I thought a few hanging on the wall would look really cool. I have a mold for an open version so I used it to make the wings. I decided to model the main body in Fusion 360. I had them printed in resin and used the casts of the wings to make the final prop.

At some point I'd like to make a fully functional version that unfolds to the full batarang, but I have to think about the mechanism. So here are the pictures. Let me know what you think!!!

IMG_3062[1].JPG

do both sides look the same? If so, it would never fly.

Axle down the center cylinder that locks. Your pics would make a great template to cut out of aluminum

The cone shaped section on the right is the hinge. The indented lines are actually where a working one divided into pieces. That part makes sense to me. The part I don't get is extending the outer wings. They don't just pull out strait, they appear to pull out and up. My thought is a guide and rail system, but what I have in mind would probably be visible in the open position. That is not the case on the prop. In the movie we never see the prop unfoldING. We see it open, and we see it closed. Given movie magic I don't know if a working version was even made.

If anyone has insight in to the workings of the real prop I'd love to hear it. The Batman Forever souvenir book has a small drawing of how the batarang unfolds, but not details. There is not even a picture of the prop folded in that book. As I mentioned, auction pictures is where I got may references from.

Mine is a little undersized. I made it to match an unfolded one I made years ago. I made a math error on that one, so mine is scaled at 87.5%. So the measurement you requested on mine is 5 inches, but the CORRECT MEASUREMENT for a 1:1 prop is 5.71 inches.

Mine is a little undersized. I made it to match an unfolded one I made years ago. I made a math error on that one, so mine is scaled at 87.5%. So the measurement you requested on mine is 5 inches, but the CORRECT MEASUREMENT for a 1:1 prop is 5.71 inches.

Thanks! I just saw this.

I will have fun with power tools tomorrow and post when/what I can

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back