Batman Begins props

Discussion in 'DC Costumes and Props' started by Talisen, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Talisen

Talisen Sr Member

Other than the Utility Belt, I've finished most of my Batman Begins props. The latest are Jmtwo's Grapple Gun and Mini-mines.

For the Grapple gun, I made a few modifications to better reflect the photos I took when the props were in Toronto. Those mods were adding various holes in the front below the silver screw, 6 along the top sites as well as enlarging the rearmost site, a large divot in the rear slide pull. I also added the silver ring/hole in the very back of the grip. I bored out the 2 barrels (it's not completely through, but I did add the corresponding hole in the backs (you can see them in the back end shot, where the slide is pulled back slightly. The slide was attached with a expansion spring, sadly it doesn't really snap back, but there is some resistance when pulled.

Finally, I scratchbuilt the 2 grapple darts. The head was patterned from a few fuzzy screencaps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only mod to the Mini-mines were the adding of a non powered LED to the Activation button. I cut the LED to about a 1/8th inch, polished the cut (for clarity) then painted that back end silver (for reflectivity). Since they are so shallow, they reflect the light making them appear lit.

[​IMG]

And the complete display - I have a few of Synasp's batarangs, as well, the ID card I created for the Grapple Gun, and the Joker Card in Evidence bag that I also created (same ones that Adamata has been producing for others) which are both in the Free paper props thread.

[​IMG]

2. Gordon Gekko

Gordon Gekko Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Let me be the first to say: Nice Work. I love the mods to the grapple and your paint job looks fantastic. Real leds on the mines look cool. :thumbsup

3. Soundwave

Soundwave Sr Member

Wow, very impressive, thats a nice little array of props you've collected there. Certainly makes up a nice display (as seen in your pic.)

The grapple gun is really cool.

4. MattMunson

MattMunson Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great work man. Those are some really nice props you've got there. All of them are spectacular in a number of ways.

5. fettster

fettster Sr Member

really, really nice.

6. Talisen

Talisen Sr Member

Thanks guys. Jmtwo, it all looks easy compared to the trouble you went through to make the gun and mines.

7. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

Nice collection :)

8. The Hopkinator

The Hopkinator Sr Member

Excellent detail,, well displayed too//

9. brin

brin Well-Known Member

Tal,
    You rocked those Begins props right out of the park. Or should I say right out of the cave.
    Could you share how you painted your mini mine Wayne Tech info card? It looks really clean and precise.
    -Brin

10. Talisen

Talisen Sr Member

Thanks again.

Brin,

Well the clean and precise is due to the wonderful laser engraving that Jmtwo did. All I did was a silver spray, flat black wash and lustre clear coat. Those plaques were the easy part. ;)

11. Jawafive

Jawafive Sr Member

I'm always impressed by your paint jobs Talisen. Good job man, display looks great.

-Matt

12. brin

brin Well-Known Member

Great job and thanks for the tip.
    -Brin

13. Talisen

Talisen Sr Member

No problem at all Brin.

14. BATS

BATS Well-Known Member

just an fyi for you

they look great but you need to add one more set of teeth to your grapple and then it will be accuracte in the number of teeth

the other thing is inside the teeth its actually flat with a magnet inside the center

email and I can share a pic with you that might help you recreate a really accurate one if you like

if not

still outstanding job on everything.

Jay

15. NakedMoleRat

NakedMoleRat Sr Member

Very nice collection there.

16. Talisen

Talisen Sr Member

Hey Bats, I've sent a PM. I'm not sure what you mean by Teeth, nor the magnet.

The only big thing I didn't do that differs from the prop photos I took were 4 metal discs on the right side (if holding) which for when this particular prop attached to the belt magnet.

Interested to know more.

17. LewisD

LewisD New Member

Talisen, where did you get the acrylic stands for the grapple gun and batarangs?

18. SPDOmegaRanger

SPDOmegaRanger Well-Known Member

love the grapples kick * display aswell keep it up totally awesome

19. _Lee_

_Lee_ Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I just watched this film about an hour ago,and i was really pleased i did.Im not a big Batman fan,but until now i have to say i felt let down by all the other films that came after the 1989 release,but BB was a nice surprise and restored a lot of the enjoyment from watching Batman.

Great props by the way,and nicely displayed.I like the Joker card.

20. lesternessman

lesternessman Well-Known Member

great collection. Thanks for posting.

21. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Great replicas from a great movie. Way to go.

22. thuth

thuth Well-Known Member

Those are beautiful.

23. reevz666

reevz666 Well-Known Member

WOW :eek ...those are great. I would LOVE to have one of those in my collection.