Back To The Future Matchbook - Legit or Not?

Alphatone

Has anyone taken a look at the Biff Tannen matchbook in the Prop Store auction? I'm wondering if it's legit, or if it might be a really good replica. Price is $800 so far. A friend told me there are lots of replicas of these matchbooks available. I don't feel like Prop Store would fall for that...but I'm wondering if any of you who are experts on this stuff have thoughts about its authenticity. Thanks!

Attachments

• BTTF_Matchbook.jpg
    BTTF_Matchbook.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 167
It it were any other store I would definitely question things, but Prop Store has one of the most trusted names. I don’t think they would list something without vetting it. But if you feel uncomfortable, I know they have their phone lines open 24/7/365 to answer any questions and concerns. Maybe give them a call to find out more lineage of the item?

It's a production-made backup. Not the exact matchbook used on screen, but definitely real.

I make replicas of the matchbooks which are probably the most screen-accurate ones available. But there are certain details about the way that Earl Hays Press made the originals that would be difficult for most people (including myself) to re-create precisely.

Biff1.jpg
Biff2.jpg
Biff3.jpg

Last edited:
I have production used matchbooks that came directly from Tom Wilson, from the Prop Store photos I can't see any difference between what they have and what I have.

It's a little easier to identify the matchbooks and props on uncommon paper types, but I'd never bid on the flyers or most props printed on regular paper. I have the exact same vintage paper that they used for the Biff money and the 'Marty's letter to Doc' stationery, and those would be super easy to fake with a decent laser printer.

4 of the Clock Tower flyers (3 blue, 1 yellow) just sold in that auction for $6,000 + fees. I can print 4 identical 100% screen accurate flyers for less than a dollar.

118526414_637224107207111_6295220035549898487_n.jpg

I have a flyer file that's even more accurate than the one in this photo.

... and the 'Marty's letter to Doc' stationery, and those would be super easy to fake with a decent laser printer. ...

View attachment 1341433

If you would try to sell me Marty's letter to Doc (as shown on your picture) as a screen used prop, I would show you this picture (can you see the difference? ;)):

martys_letter_to_doc_1.jpg

Last edited:
If you would try to sell me Marty's letter to Doc as shown on your picture as a screen used prop, I would show you this picture (can you see the difference? ;)):

View attachment 1341486

Yeah, the 'D' is not the same. It was originally put together by someone here from screencaps.
But I prefer to keep it that way since I use the same kind of paper, and it's an easy tell that 95% of people won't catch.

Yeah, the 'D' is not the same. It was originally put together by someone here from screencaps.
But I prefer to keep it that way since I use the same kind of paper, and it's an easy tell that 95% of people won't catch.

Yes, the "D" and the space between the letterhead and the "Dear Dr. Brown" line, which is much bigger on the original letter. ;)

I also print the back of the Biff money. They were all one sided in the movie, but it's a modification of a stock EHP bill that did have a back.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back