Babylon 5 Pilot version of the PPG

SurferGeek

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've had this picture of a, purported, screen used piece that sold on Ebay many moons ago. Was perusing some old directories and ran into it.

The blaster folded in half and was carried in a hip holster. Sorry, no screen caps.

Anyone ever do a replica of it? What about better images? Thanks for any help.

n24108Babylon%205%20Pilot%20Weaponn103.jpg

Last edited:
Also of note was the PPG Rifle of similar design used in the pilot (again, no caps). The Compression rifle from Voyager kind of reminds me of this earlier PPG look.

I was hoping someone would start a thread about this! I've always wondered about those, I bet they thought they were too phasery...

Bump for more info!

I was hoping someone would start a thread about this! I've always wondered about those, I bet they thought they were too phasery...

The pilot version was too dull on the screen. When the B5 project went forward, one of the first things they did was beef up the the live action props. The PPG Handgun was based on a Snub nose .38 revolver and the rifle was based on a mini-m14 rifle with folding stock. The machined aluminum parts gave the B5 weapons it's own look. There was an article about the props in STARLOG magazine just after B5 took off as a series. If anyone still has the artivcle about the props - I would not mind reading it again. :love

The Rifles from the pilot episode looked like the crew was weilding surf boards with a laser pointer taped to it. Not much screen appeal. :eek

Gordon

The pilot version was too dull on the screen.

Eye of the beholder my friend. :)

Heaven forbid if a movie or show were to come up with something that didn't look like a readily recognized pistol or rifle. The PPG was essentially a rail gun that shot magnetic bottles of plasma... or at least that's what a B5 fanboy site I saw described it as... :lol People who make decisions like that have no vision and unfortunately they seem to reflect the majority of the population.

Found a cap of the pistola being used early in the pilot episode.

b55216PilotPPG_cap01w103.png

Actually I am pretty sure thats my PPG. I created a quick test page at MY PROPS AND COSTUMES
Originally two pilot episode ppgs were sold, both originally owned by Fuller french and sold for him by alan adler aka museumofmom and pop culture.

I do really love that design. Very nice. I like the PPG they went with too, so don't fault them for changing it, but I also love the elegant simplicity of the pilot design.

Actually I am pretty sure thats my PPG. I created a quick test page at MY PROPS AND COSTUMES
Originally two pilot episode ppgs were sold, both originally owned by Fuller french and sold for him by alan adler aka museumofmom and pop culture.

Now that's what I'm talking about!

Thanks for posting a link to your site. Very cool pictures.

Yeah, it has a passing resemblance to the ST:TNG Dustbuster but that's another example of a great design that got passed over.

Thanks again Firstmark.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back