Awesome Mix Vol.1: Mixtape from the vinyl records [Guardians of the Galaxy]

Upgrade

This may be a case of verisimilitude gone overboard, but to me, the film presented an unrealistically idealized playback of a cassette tape. Where's the tape hiss, pops and crackles, songs being cut off, or the click of a needle drop which may represent one of the few reminders of physical contact between Peter Quill and his mother?
IMG_1972.JPGIMG_1973.JPG

So I set out to recreate the mixtape using materials and equipment that would have been available to Meredith Quill prior to her death in 1988.
IMG_1883.JPG
Apparently, I can only attach 25 photos per post. I wrote up a full instructable here detailing the recording process and the labels.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-Mixtape-Awesome-Mix-Vol-1-from-Guard/

Here's a small preview video:

If you have the time, you can listen to the entire mixtape to see how it turned out here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8Vz7-P8Mis

Equipment

• JVC TD-W10 Stereo Double Cassette Deck manufactured in 1985

• JVC AX-44 Stereo Integrated Amplifier manufactured in 1986

• JVC AL-A10 Auto-Return Turntable System (can't find a year on this, also it's currently out of commission pending arrival of a new cartridge)

• Numark PT-01 USB Turntable (I primarily use this for my 78 collection)
My tape recorder of choice (to check up on how the tape is doing) is the Realistic Minisette 19 Model No. 14-1054A manufactured in 1991 for Radio Shack. It seems like everyone and their mother wants to get their hands on a Sony Walkman TPS-L2. I'd imagine it would have made things easier if the movie went with the Yellow Monster "Sony Sports" Walkman.

The Records

I'm assuming that the beginning of the movie took place in the United States, as such I focused on the original US pressings.

Most of these are 45s as opposed to the albums because:
1) I already had some of these as singles (and they're easier to showcase)
2) Most of these songs were first released as hit singles and later put on an album
3) My skills for hitting just the right spot in the groove between the tracks on an LP leave something to be desired

tumblr_nbe1u2kU4h1twskjyo1_1280.jpg
Hooked on a Feeling
Blue Swede
EMI Records 3627
B-side: Gotta Have Your Love

tumblr_nbe1u2kU4h1twskjyo3_1280.jpg
Go All the Way
Raspberries
Capitol Records 3348
B-side: With You in my Life

tumblr_nbe1u2kU4h1twskjyo7_1280.jpg
Spirit in the Sky
Norman Greenbaum
Reprise Records 0885
B-side: Milk Cow
IMG_1965.JPGIMG_1951.JPG
Moonage Daydream
David Bowie
from the LP "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars"
RCA Victor Records LSP-4702
IMG_1930.JPG
Fooled Around and Fell in Love*
Elvin Bishop
Capricorn Records CPS 0252
B-side: Have a Good Time

tumblr_nbe1u2kU4h1twskjyo5_1280.jpg
I'm Not in Love*
10cc
Mercury Records (Phonogram) 73678
Channel Swimmer

tumblr_nbe1u2kU4h1twskjyo10_1280.jpg
I Want You Back
The Jackson 5
Motown Records M1157
B-side: Who's Lovin You
IMG_1806.JPG
Come and Get Your Love
Redbone
Epic Records 5-11035
B-side: Day to Day Life

IMG_1937.JPG
Cherry Bomb
The Runaways
Mercury Records (Phonogram) SFL-2121 (Japanese pressing)
B-side: Blackmail
IMG_1928.JPG
Escape (The Pina Colada Song)*
Rupert Holmes
Infinity Records INF 50,035
B-side: Drop It
IMG_1932.JPG
O-o-h Child
The 5 Stairsteps
Buddha Records BDA 165
B-side: Dear Prudence
IMG_1925.JPG
Ain't No Mountain High Enough
Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell
Tamla Records (Motown) T-54149
B-side: Give a Little Love

Some notes:

• The same link indicates that two other songs were considered in place of David Bowie's "Moonage Daydream". As far as I can tell, they were not used in filming
    • "Wichita Lineman" by Glenn Campbell
    • "Mama Told Me Not to Come" by Three Dog Night

• This is the only site that mentions it, but the official soundtrack may use a different version of "Come and Get Your Love" than was used in the movie. Upon release of the Blu-Ray, I can't double-check.

http://cultural-learnings.com/2014/08/10/awesome-mix-guardians-soundtrack-spotify-youtube-streaming/

"potentially because of simple oversight, the official version of the playlist has a different version of “Come and Get Your Love” than the used in the movie. The version used in the film—listed on one compilation album as a “re-recorded” version of the song—would appear to be an edited version of a longer version of the song that is featured on The Essential Redbone with a different introduction and a longer outro."

The Cassette
Of course I'm using the ever-elusive-to-find-in-the-United-States, CDing2. Unfortunately for the movie, it was first manufactured in 2001 for distribution in Europe.
IMG_1824.JPGIMG_1825.JPGIMG_1826.JPG
I explained in the instructable of the impracticality of having two separate Awesome Mix Vol. 1 and Awesome Mix Vol 2. tapes.

The CDing2 comes in 60 minute and 90 minute variants or 30/45 minutes per side. Since the soundtrack clocks in at 44 minutes, I find it more convenient to use the 60 minute version to have less blank tape to fast-forward through. It's also less nerve-wracking to exactly fit 44:33 onto a 45 minute side. As previously explained, some of the records use the shorter version, so my soundtrack weighs in a little lower.

Since we apparently never see the other side of either tape, I stuck on both labels onto each side of the cassette.

Labels
Thanks to this forum thread, I was able to find the label for Awesome Mix Vol. 2 that appears later in the movie.

With color correction, the handwriting appears blue instead of black.

So I set out to find an appropriate color pen.

The Ultra Fine Point Sharpie (Blue) is probably the most likely blue pen to find in an office supply store (If you're in luck, you may find Navy). Works in a pinch, but color is a bit too bright and the linework gets blobby if you move too slow.

After several bouts of testing, i settled on a Stabilo Point 88 Fineliner Pen (0.4mm) Night Blue Art No. 88/22. The color matches well and the linework is consistent.

Since I'm out of my picture quota, the rest of the process is documented in the instructable.

I wanted a more realistic approach than vectorizing the handwriting and printing it out. So I traced the writing with a lightbox.

Something that I noticed that people are somewhat sloppy cutting out the label. It's meant to be die-cut, so lines have to be perfectly straight. I used a self-healing mat with a steel ruler and an X-Acto, even then paying close attention to the finicky center cut-out.

Other
In the instructable, I demonstrate how to enable write-protection to prevent accidental recording.

Alas, just as I was finishing the writeup, Marvel announced that they were releasing an actual cassette tape, possibly rendering all this work a moot point.
However, it does give us a good glimpse of the J-card.
Capture.PNG
Using the same techniques above, you can protect your mixtape and know what's on it.

All this managed to condense 12 records into a single tape. Would the movie have been the same if Peter Quill was lugging around a record player and a platter pak?

tumblr_nbe1u2kU4h1twskjyo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nbe1u2kU4h1twskjyo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_nbe1u2kU4h1twskjyo5_1280.jpg

tumblr_nbe1u2kU4h1twskjyo7_1280.jpg

tumblr_nbe1u2kU4h1twskjyo10_1280.jpg

IMG_1806.JPG

IMG_1925.JPG

IMG_1928.JPG

IMG_1930.JPG

IMG_1932.JPG

IMG_1933.JPG

IMG_1935.JPG

IMG_1937.JPG

IMG_1951.JPG

IMG_1965.JPG

IMG_1824.JPG

IMG_1825.JPG

IMG_1826.JPG

IMG_1972.JPG

IMG_1973.JPG

IMG_1883.JPG

Capture.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Great write-up. Though I have to admit, it pains me to see you putting in all this work and not using the right tape.

I've cut dozens of labels for these tapes and you're definitely right about the straightness of the cuts, although I believe the method you (and I) are using - x-acto - is likely the same method the prop makers used. I also believe they used a corner cutter rather that cutting the rounded bottom corners by hand.

Interesting tae on making the mix tape.
One thing to note is that some people didn't have the record available and would just record tapes right off the radio plying. Which a way crappier quality. But it was easy for kids or whomever making tapes. That is kind the reason they went away.

I just saw the release also. I wonder if 15.00 tapes are still in? Only a few peole will buy them as they are not exact replicas and have all kinds of Marvel logos on them.

Cassettes

I grabbed a couple of used CDing 2 90 minute tapes for a comparison.

It seems like there's little rhyme or reason as to why some of the 90 minute tapes have black C-clamps and the others have white C-clamps.

IMG_2104.JPG
The top one has the C clamps and the dimple in the center like on the soundtrack cover
tumblr_n8p8hn3eOc1smf758o1_1280.jpg

For comparison, here's the original 60 minute tape I used
IMG_1826.JPG

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a place that just sells the reel hubs. You'll probably have better luck buying the blank cassette shells.

Or you could just unscrew the case and color in the clamp.

Recreating the dimple is tricky. Possibly heating up the end of a metal dowel?

J-Card

As previously mentioned, the official Marvel cassette provided a nice rendition of a J-card.
which I think looked a lot better than Mondo's rendition.

It appears that they got the same prop person to handwrite the card.

I made up a squared version using the video footage and a generic template. I didn't particularly care for the Marvel logo for the spine and it looks like it's the same letter design from the Awesome Mix Vol. 1 cassette.

You need have to have the patience of a saint to either trace or vectorize the letters.
jp0 template rectoverso with 0625 bleed-inside.png
It's odd that all the song titles and artist informationrunstogetherlineafterline. Perhaps writing in all caps prevents fitting everything neatly on one line.

Also weird is that the tracklist is upside down relative to the spine compared to traditional fill-in cards.
20141024204121.jpg
They seem to have taken a lot of inspiration for the design from a common TDK card, right down to the Date and Noise Reduction labels.
Below on the left is the TDK J-card, the right is the CDing 2 J-card that comes with the package.

IMG_2100.JPGIMG_2101.JPG

Hi… first post here in the forums. But I'm making my own tapes now too. Thought I'd chime in :)

I found some 46min CDing2 tapes. Fits all the music perfectly, so that's a plus. But as mentioned above. there doesn't seem to be a real reason why some tapes have black c-clamps and others white. I got three tapes, two of them have white and the other has black.
Also The one with the black c-clamps seems to have a lighter shade of the grey body. So I will be opening them and switchin the bodies to match it better to the original prop.

It also seems to have the dimple in the center.

One more tip. If you use 60 or 90 minutes tapes. You can just open them up cut the exess of tape, so you don't have the silence on the end of each side. You can snap them back into place with the c-clamps anyway. So why don't you guys do that?

FullSizeRender-2.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back