AVP Cod Piece from template tutorial

VinMan

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I finally got around to doing the Cod Piece from the templates in the Huntorial section

made from Sintra and Leather

cod_piece.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
vinmanmac,

Very good, very very good! I like the leather top.

(note to self, find where to get sintra in the L.A. area....)

---
Ei'luj

Thats great vin, im almost ready to start painting mine. Just fabric backing the foam to stiffen it a tad. I would be interested to hear how you got the texture too please :)

Thats great vin, im almost ready to start painting mine. Just fabric backing the foam to stiffen it a tad. I would be interested to hear how you got the texture too please :)

the texture is really pretty easy but it does require a couple of steps
• Primer the Sintra or whatever you use, works on craft foam as well. I use plasti-dip spray paint
because it sort of rubberizes the finish which keeps it from being so brittle and the paint really adheres well
• I use Rustoleum Hammer metal spray paint (Home Depot).
http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=29
This time I hit it with a pewter color and went right over the top while still wet with a silver color
which gave it a layerd look and accented the pitting even more. If you give it a good heavy coat you can see the paint draw up and start to pit immediately.
• when dry I use a gloss black latex paint on a paper towel. blot it on and wipe it off leaving the black in all the crevices and edges.
• the final step is to get some silver Rub and Buff cream paste in a tube
http://www.amaco.com/shop/product-437-rub-...c-finishes.html
, any craft store, Hobby Lobby, Michael's, Joanne, Ben Franklin. etc.
rub in between your finger tips and very lightly apply to the surface of the armor. Be careful not to use too much. You only want it on the raised
surface and the the pitted recesses. Buff really well with a rag or paper towel. This really makes the armor shine up like metal

Give it a try and show us some photos!

VInMan

Excellent thanks for the pointers.

So the plasti dip will provide a flexible base primer which the other paint can be applied ontop too?

I was thinking of lightly pressing a pencil into my foamies to add some pitting to allow a wash of paint to take to the recesses.

Excellent thanks for the pointers.

So the plasti dip will provide a flexible base primer which the other paint can be applied ontop too?

I was thinking of lightly pressing a pencil into my foamies to add some pitting to allow a wash of paint to take to the recesses.

I believe if the foamies are sealed with a good primer. and you use the hammer metal paint you won't need to do that at all.
Which will save you tons of labor plus the randomness of the hammer metal would be nearly impossible to create by hand.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back