AVATAR 2: THE WAY OF WATER (2022)

Everything you guys have said thus far is confirming my instinct to give this one a miss.

This is also the most discussion of Avatar 2 that I've seen since the film released. Other than noting how much money it's made, nobody is talking about the actual film at all, from what I can tell.
What's there to talk about? It's not a detrimentally awful movie. It doesn't ask for memes to be made from it like MCU movies do. It doesn't stir up political controversy, or pick at societal taboos. These days to make headlines and create online discussion, you have to be either extremely negative, meme-worthy, controversial, or a combination of the three.

Everything you guys have said thus far is confirming my instinct to give this one a miss.

This is also the most discussion of Avatar 2 that I've seen since the film released. Other than noting how much money it's made, nobody is talking about the actual film at all, from what I can tell.
You're running in the wrong circles. My little corner of cineastes are losing their minds over this movie. When the first whale subtitle appeared, I think my soul floated out of my body. Avatar 2 rocks.

What's there to talk about? It's not a detrimentally awful movie. It doesn't ask for memes to be made from it like MCU movies do. It doesn't stir up political controversy, or pick at societal taboos. These days to make headlines and create online discussion, you have to be either extremely negative, meme-worthy, controversial, or a combination of the three.
So what you're saying is that it's completely forgetable?

Sounds like their is about a 50 percent who saw the movie and liked it and the other 10 percent who haven't seen the movie trying to convince other people not to see the movie, and 30 percent who thought it wasn't a great movie, and 10 percent on the wall about going to see the movie.

My best advice...If you're thinking of seeing the movie, go see it in the theater, where you'll enjoy a better visual and sound experience. If you don't want to go see the movie...don't.

TazMan2000

Sounds like their is about a 50 percent who saw the movie and liked it and the other 10 percent who haven't seen the movie trying to convince other people not to see the movie, and 30 percent who thought it wasn't a great movie, and 10 percent on the wall about going to see the movie.

My best advice...If you're thinking of seeing the movie, go see it in the theater, where you'll enjoy a better visual and sound experience. If you don't want to go see the movie...don't.

TazMan2000
I don’t think it’s not a great movie. I think it’s a terrible movie. “Not a great movie” could describe any number of movies I’ve watched and would watch again, given the chance, which does not include any Avatar film.

I've seen A LOT of movies and some were great and good, but the one's I didn't see weren't very good at being great because they were forgettable because I forgot to go and see them....Really this whole thread is for the greater good of not being great or good at all....:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I have no desire or will to see any avatar movies. What interests me is the money it's making. More of interist is the technological advancements in the making of. The more money this movie makes the more that technology will advance. Will It replace the generic "marvel" style of rinse and repeat i have no idea what movie I'm watching because they are all the same thing in camera or will it fall along the wayside or become as generic as green/blue screen? There is a lot more than that but the tip of the iceberg is the tipping off point.

Strange how your “50% liked the movie and everyone else either didn’t see it or is ambivalent about it” went to “90% of people love this movie”.

My first post regarding percentages was estimating the consensus here in this thread. The second post with the 90% was for people who actually saw the movie.

Apples and oranges.

TazMan2000

I get the feeling this movie would have a lot more sales if it was 30 minutes shorter and the ticket prices were a few bucks cheaper.

That doesn't sound like a very profound comment, but I think it does get to something. Disney could have released a slightly shorter/cheaper version of 'Rise of Skywalker' and I doubt it would have made a big difference in total views. Same with 'Dunkirk' or 'Blade Runner 2049' or even a DC/Marvel flick.

The modern theater market is increasingly full of movies where people don't debate whether to see them. They have an opinion formed long in advance, like months. But 'Avatar' could actually win or lose sales based on minor points like the run-time or the exact dollar price. This thing's place in the entertainment landscape is conventional to the point of being a throwback. It's something from a past era where people said "Let's go see a movie tonight" instead of "I've been waiting 7 years for this final chapter!"

The 'Top Gun' sequel is the other big movie like this lately. They are both monster hits but they don't feel much like fanchise-ers (even though they are.) Are these last hurrahs of a dying form of cinema? Or is there more of this coming?

I have no desire or will to see any avatar movies. What interests me is the money it's making. More of interist is the technological advancements in the making of. The more money this movie makes the more that technology will advance. Will It replace the generic "marvel" style of rinse and repeat i have no idea what movie I'm watching because they are all the same thing in camera or will it fall along the wayside or become as generic as green/blue screen? There is a lot more than that but the tip of the iceberg is the tipping off point.

I’m happy you felt compelled to comment on a thread about a movie that you never plan on seeing.

It’s a bit like commenting on threads where members ask how to do something, and posting “I have no idea”.

TazMan2000

I’m happy you felt compelled to comment on a thread about a movie that you never plan on seeing.

It’s a bit like commenting on threads where members ask how to do something, and posting “I have no idea”.

TazMan2000

In 99% certain I have no idea what you're talking about. There is a percentage of talk about the making of I'm interested in and a percentage of people taking about the films plot that seems 10% of those people are trying to get 50% to change their minds about something I don't know. Maybe 50% of the topic is about other films while maybe 25% is off topic all together with no relation to the percentage that have any idea.
In the end I just don't know. I was never good with math.

The money aspect is interesting. Many of the heavy hitters have much repeat viewership and that's usually because those types of movies are roller coaster rides in their purest form of entertainment. The Marvel stuff just mashes up time travel and multi-dimensional fare. Avatar is alternative world building stuff.

The plots have to be, almost by definition, simplistic. So you don't have to think too much while riding the rollercoaster. Imagine going on a theme park roller coaster and having to read War and Peace..... :lol:

Can we have a visually spectacular film with a really well crafted plot and dialogue....??...I don't see why not, but even Cameron has said the story is critical but not the driver.

In 99% certain I have no idea what you're talking about. There is a percentage of talk about the making of I'm interested in and a percentage of people taking about the films plot that seems 10% of those people are trying to get 50% to change their minds about something I don't know. Maybe 50% of the topic is about other films while maybe 25% is off topic all together with no relation to the percentage that have any idea.
In the end I just don't know. I was never good with math.

I agree with you.

TazMan2000

Avatar: The way of water broke 1.5 Billion in the box office in about 3 weeks since general release 16 December. Top Gun Maverick is just under 1.5 Billion after 8 months. The Smurfs Movie 564 Million box office since 2011.

TazMan2000

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back