Anyone painted a Cap shield with the intention of still using it as a sled?

AKluthe

I realize this question might be in the severe minority here on a replica prop forum! Most of us build and paint up props so they look nice on a wall or in a display case, they don't actually have to hold up. But I was thinking about trying to deco a saucer sled to look like Captain America's famous vibranium shield.

I was excited to see a lot of people have actually made steel saucer sleds into Cap's shield over the years. Less excited to find there's basically no such thing as a forum for...sledding or people customizing/rebuilding sleds (you've failed me, internet!)

My concern is whether or not there's a paint job (or top coat) that would actually be able to take the beating as it goes downhill. I'd hate to put in all that effort just for it wear off on the second trip down. And there's been no snow here yet, so it's not like I can do some quick tests to find out.

You could def buy one of those red sleds... then throw some paint down and a TON of clear coat and it might hold up to the snowy hill beatings

You could def buy one of those red sleds... then throw some paint down and a TON of clear coat and it might hold up to the snowy hill beatings
That's more or less what I was planning, but I've been uncertain on whether I should strip the original paint off first to get better adherence. It might just have to be a learning experience!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back