Anyone know about collectible neon signs?

Sluis Van Shipyards

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
My dad has an old Stroh's beer sign. The ground part of the plug broke off so I need to put a new plug on it. Does anyone know if that would decrease the value or would that not matter? I don't want to do it and then have someone say "If you just left the original plug it would have been worth a lot more!"

I don’t know about neon signs specifically, but with collectibles it depends on if you plan to keep it or sell it. If you want to keep it and use it, replace the plug for safety. If you plan to sell it, list the issue and sell as all original and let the new owner decide if they want to fix it or make the repair.

Usually cords can be swapped out. If you want to display it, swap the cord out but keep the original. If you decide to sell it, include the original cord.

I've collected a lot of old electronics. Having a new cord installed has never been a deal killer for me. I'd rather it be safe and usable. You can even find repro cords.

I equate it to buying a classic car. Would you want the old rotting tires?

Neon signs are dangerous items. They require great care. I wouldn't collect them unless I had a large display area, preferably outdoors.

Good luck with that collection.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back