Anyone ID Clark Kent's glasses from SR yet?

Discussion in 'DC Costumes and Props' started by Westies14, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Westies14

Westies14 Master Member

Any leads on these?

2. masterjedi322

masterjedi322 Sr Member

Yeah, I was also interested in these. Anybody have any insight into this?

Sean

3. mtsbspidey

mtsbspidey Well-Known Member

according to an article in my newspaper...they're donna karan optical style dk 1551...$199 at lenscrafters....skott

4. TReinman

TReinman Well-Known Member

5. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

I wonder if someone has ever suggested to Clark to get Lasik surgery. Talk about blowing your cover.

6. Westies14

Westies14 Master Member

7. masterjedi322

masterjedi322 Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'></div>
    Me neither. Based on the pics I've seen, I would guess they're the brown/honey versions. IMDB has a decent close up of Routh as Kent, and I definitely don't think they're black or smoke, but that's my opinion.

Perhaps it's time for some new reading glasses... :love

Sean

8. misterfusion

misterfusion Sr Member

I think they may be the Brown/Honey.

On the Natl Geo "Science of Superman" special, there was a couple of close up shots when they were discussing Telescopic Vision where the light hit the frames and gave off what I percieved to be a brownish tint.

If you didn't see it, I've got a friend who has the special online to DOWNLOAD.

Steve

9. Kal-ElofKrypton

Kal-ElofKrypton Well-Known Member

These would be great to have. Maybe we can find a less expensive pair.

10. midnightfett

midnightfett New Member

I just saw the 3D version (very cool)
    the glasses look brown to me.

11. CTF

CTF Sr Member

Man, it's time for a new pair of glasses too. I've lost mine (again).

I want to get these as I love the film and I know they're available nearby, although the glasses don't look that cool in the link above... :unsure They kinda remind me of the glasses George Costanza got in Seinfeld - the ladies glasses. Heh. They look cool in the flick though.

12. blufive

blufive Sr Member

They're available at LC? I should look into that. I manage one.

:D

13. seven

seven Sr Member

Aren't these woman's glasses?

14. The Mantis

The Mantis Sr Member

They are Tortoise shell

15. teecrooz

teecrooz Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

What he said. If you look at some of the promo images of young Clark hovering above the ground, the glasses are on the ground and you can see the Tortoise shell.[attachmentid=8908]

16. masterjedi322

masterjedi322 Sr Member

I've been on the phone with Lenscrafters about these, and they say they don't carry that model. I was told their catalog is a Lenscrafter's store-wide catalog, so according to the people I've talk to, they don't have them. :(

Also, I don't believe the young Clark's glasses and the older Clark's glasses are the same. If you look at this picture, you can clearly see the frames are more square, where the young Clark's glasses are much more round. Based on this picture, I would still have to say Clark's glasses were the brown/honey model, but that's just me.

Superman Pic

Sean

17. blufive

blufive Sr Member

I must say I don't recognize the frames off the top of my head. LC has a funny way of stocking their stores. We get a big box of frames in weekly.

That's it.

We have no control over what's in the box and ordering frames is difficult at best. You will probably have to find them in stock in order to get them.

Donna Karen is primarily a women's designer but some of the frames in her line are for men.

18. The Mantis

The Mantis Sr Member

Based on that new pic I think you are right....brown/honey.....crap, I better change my order.

19. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Routh's glasses.

[​IMG]

Compared to the Donna Karans mentioned above. The shapes look similar but the "wings" at the hinges are larger on the screenused glasses.

[​IMG]

Note how the frames flare out on the sides of the nose (visible in the side view) to form noseguards.

[​IMG]

I guess we should consider ourselves lucky they didn't use Reeve's old Superman III glasses. :lol

[​IMG]

BTW that pic posted above of the actor playing the teenaged Clark, those glasses sort of resemble Reeve's from Superman III... more rounded than Routh's SR glasses).

<div class='quotetop'>(teecrooz @ Jul 6 2006, 04:12 PM) [snapback]1275382[/snapback]</div>

20. Darth Brass

Darth Brass Sr Member

Based on the picture that masterjedi332 linked to, I'm going to say they're different.

The part where the lense meets the arm is the main difference I'm seeing. Older Clark's are more straight across the top.

21. The Mantis

The Mantis Sr Member

But there has already been an official announcement from DK that the DK1511 were the ones used in the movie...the size of the wings would change depending on the size of the orbit. If the orbit measurement in the catalog was 46 and Routh wears an orbit of 48 they would appear bigger. I tried the 48s on and they look dead on....

By the way, have we absolutely concluded it was the brown/honey?

22. Mikie-Wan

Mikie-Wan Active Member

Bluefive... you work at lenscrafters?

I'm a Lab tech at lenscrafters and I've been looking all over the place for these frames, I checked our computer system and couldn't find it. The models we carry jump from like 1502 to 1512a and completely skip over 1511. I called the central lab and they didn't have them.
    Keep in mind Luxitoca owns lenscrafters and Luxitoca is the company that manufactures these frames. So it dosen't really mean that you can only get them at lenscrafters, places that buy luxitoca stock can have them too.
    I just found a place that Luxitoca owns that carries the frames, I'm making a drive monday to get my pair (I went with black) and I'll get my employee discount too :)

I'll take a pic after I get them

-Mikie

23. FrankieLove

FrankieLove New Member

Well, after years of pushing off getting glasses, I've decided to get them and am definately going with these glasses. They looked great in the movie.

24. blufive

blufive Sr Member

Hi Mikie

Yes, I'm a General Manager at 669. My background is lab, and I was a Lab Manager for 11 years before I decided to move up last year.

:)

25. Mikie-Wan

Mikie-Wan Active Member

Hey thats Awesome,
    I just went in for my ABO's this week, think I got it.
    I'm at store 120 as a finish tech, supposed to be certified Tech by the end of the month.

Hey, is it just me, or does the shadow the CS-7 blocker shines from the backside look an awful lot loke the wall lighting pattern on the death star?

I told the guys at work that but nobody there really cares about sci-fi

-Mikie

<div class='quotetop'>(blufive @ Jul 8 2006, 07:12 AM) [snapback]1276617[/snapback]</div>

26. Mikie-Wan

Mikie-Wan Active Member

Guys I gotta say, I saw the 1511 frames the other day and I didn't like it.

I think there was some kinda custom design used in the movie. As said, the "wing" shapes on the sides are different and they seem thicker than in the movie bit not as big (if that makes sense)
    has anyone recieved their order yet?

I'm curious about others opinions.
    -Mikie

27. Mikie-Wan

Mikie-Wan Active Member

Bump

Any leads guys?

new info?

-Mikie

28. Legend642

Legend642 New Member

Re: Anyone ID Clark Kent's glasses from SR yet?

I know this thread is old, but I hope to provide useful information to those who seek this eyeglasses frame.
    I found this eyeglasses on Ebay, and I recognized model, and I think that's same used by Brandon Routh on Superman Returns.

Donna Karan DK 8903 Eyeglasses

01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg 04.jpg SR02.jpg SR01.jpg

29. Piero1985

Piero1985 New Member

Re: Anyone ID Clark Kent's glasses from SR yet?

Amazing!!! O_O