Anyone have experience with EL Strips/Sheets

Graphic Jordan

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone has an experience using EL Sheets/Strips...

Basically I want to cut and use two small rectangles of the stuff to serve as the lighted portion of my Iron Man helmet eyes.

I'd like to run both of the eyes off of a single 9volt or something similar.

Please don't tell me to google either.. been there, done that. I just want to find someone with experience.

GJ

Thanks!!! Wish the site wasn't so plain jain and possibly scummy looking. Never do like buying from websites that aren't secure. Have you purchased from them before?

Thanks!!! Wish the site wasn't so plain jain and possibly scummy looking. Never do like buying from websites that aren't secure. Have you purchased from them before?

Yes, on several occasions. The El tapes are pretty bright (white). The colors are disappointing, but that's the nature of color films over white EL.
Keep in mind they don't do refunds. And they are just a distributor, so their supplier may change and what you order a few months from now may not match the same item.

I've ordered from this site too, although I haven't ordered their EL tape.
Glowsticks/ Electroluminescent Lighting/ EL Wire/ Glow Neon Lights

I ordered the split electrode tape from these guys and it was dissappointingly dim.:
E-Luminates

I just purchased a bunch of red EL tape from Glowhut and it looks nothing like the photo on the website. The light is very dim even with a 9v inverter on a single strip. The red flim they stick on the tape gives terrible color. Wost part is Im out $200 since they will not accept my return on brand new products.

Thats not how I would do business.

I too ordered some red and ended up removing the red film since it was so dim.
Carefully peel the color film off, but do it slowly to make sure the red gel sticks to the film and not the el tape. Then the B!+ch part is removing the adhesive. It's very messy like removing window film. I used an old credit card and lots of paint thinner and start scraping.
Easier to send it back.
They will probably accept exchanges, they just don't give refunds.
Just go with white or blue-green (native EL colors)

I just purchased a bunch of red EL tape from Glowhut and it looks nothing like the photo on the website. The light is very dim even with a 9v inverter on a single strip. The red flim they stick on the tape gives terrible color. Wost part is Im out $200 since they will not accept my return on brand new products.

Thats not how I would do business.

I have also heard that the el sheet looks great in a dark room but in a well lit area they are not very bright

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back