Any alternative to resin?

Psygnosis

Hi all, I'm pretty stuck with a thing... I want to make a mask with a pepakura file, and this is not a real problem...i'm pretty used with pepakura. BUT...if I'd like to use that mask for cosplay...what can I use if I can't afford resin, or fiberglass? Foam its pretty impossibile because the pdo is not made for foam but for paper...is the papermachè the only solution for me? and if so can you advice me some technique to do it? (papiermache powder?! maybe?) thank you so much in advace (i don't know where else I could ask advice except you)

Resin isn't very expensive. One can is about $15 i think. Theres nothing stopping you from using a "paper file" for foam. Pepakura doesnt have a setting for foam, people seem to think theres a difference but there really isnt. Lastly if you want to learn how to papier mache, google it. Theres tons of info on it.

Resin isn't very expensive. One can is about $15 i think.
maybe I've just confused resin with fiberglass? =( 'cause I've read that an epoxy resin cost about 70$-80$ (in europe something like 50€)
Theres nothing stopping you from using a "paper file" for foam. Pepakura doesnt have a setting for foam, people seem to think theres a difference but there really isnt.
I don't understand this... I know that pepakura file for paper have flaps so I could glue each part of paper..while foam pepakura just don't have this... ok I could disable flaps but i think it's not the same thing....

Where in Europe are you? The price for resin obviously depends a lot on the quantity you are buying. You wouldn't need much for a mask. You could also try Jesmonite. I would use that when ever I could substitute resin for it. Much cleaner and easier to work with than resin especially if you are starting out.

Sorry, I thought you meant fibreglass resin. You can coat something made of paper in just the fibreglass resin (not the fibreglass itself)and with enough coats it gets to be pretty strong. Its brittle though, so you have to be careful of dropping it.

As for pepakura:
Disabling flaps is pretty much it. When you import a 3d model into pepakura you cant change the 3d model, just which edges to separate so that it can lie flat to be printed. Paper can only bend one way and pepakura knows this so it wont let you make compound curve (a curve in more than one direction, like a dome). The whole advantage of foam if that it can be stretch into compond curves. When people say that a file is for foam it *might* be slightly easier for foam than a different file, but thats it. I've made a lot of pepakura files, and not just unfolding models but modeling the object as well in 3d studio. 99% of the time when people say its a "foam file" the flaps are disabled. Thats it.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu2GMR6DjDA this video might help though this is how to properly use pepakura for foam. And its a pain.

Handily enough, templates for foam can be a lot simpler than just leaving off the flaps for paper - see JFCustoms thread here, where he unfolds larger pieces at once on overlapping pages, rather than a ton of smaller ones:
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=148889

There are a lot of templates for foam, along with a lot of handy hints and tips for if you're just starting out. I'd done an Iron Man helmet via cardstock pepakura and there are about 180 (exaggeration) different pieces - if you look at the JFCustoms templates, you're talking about 8 pieces. Slightly quicker and simpler to work with. :)

Where in Europe are you? The price for resin obviously depends a lot on the quantity you are buying. You wouldn't need much for a mask. You could also try Jesmonite. I would use that when ever I could substitute resin for it. Much cleaner and easier to work with than resin especially if you are starting out.

I will be checking out Jesmonite for some foam projects - thanks for that!

That's basically it, "foam files" are easier for foam than a lot of others, but still don't allow for compound curves

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back