Another 1:6 scale Alita!

wayouteast

Sr Member
I found the STL files for this nice model of Alita from 'Alita:Battle Angel' on Cults3D. She's printed in roughly 1/6th scale (about 27cm tall) on my Elegoo Mars printer. I used standard Elegoo grey resin for her head, torso and legs. I've always wanted to find a way of getting the effect of the translucent 'muscles' of her berserker body as it appears in the film, so I printed her arms and hands in Anycubic clear resin and then tinted them purple with Glasscast translucent pigment floated on the surface of a water bath (a bit like hydrodipping!).

The model goes together really nicely with only a minimal amount of fettling and filling needed on assembly to get the various pieces to fit.

IMG_6195.JPG IMG_6196.JPG. IMG_6199.JPG

The non-translucent parts are painted mostly with Vallejo acrylics in thin glazed layers. The metal parts are enhanced slightly with small highlights of Molotov chrome ink. In the movie she only wears the blood on her cheekbones in one scene in which she's still in her 'cybergirl' body. But a lot of the posters and publicity artwork for the movie shows her in her berserker body with the blood streaks... and the signature blood/metallic 'eye-black' is such a feature of her appearance in the original manga and anime... so I thought I'd replicate it in this model.

I was quite happy with the likeness this time around - as much the original sculpt as my painting! I'm building her a base of tumbled masonry and scattered bits of defeated cyborg opponent.

gl1qfjvi7i961.jpg. cnzbxgvi7i961.jpg. m6j7udvi7i961.jpg. u5t42ivi7i961.jpg. 5y036gvi7i961.jpg. moyzemvi7i961.jpg

Still one of my favourite movies... and it's nice to have another model of the character for the ever-increasing Alita collection.

Wow, GREAT paint work on the eyes! At first I was thinking the bare resin model looked "off", but the finished product looks spot on. Neat technique on the arms, too, I will need to remember to try that with some of my clear ABS/PETG prints.

Wow, GREAT paint work on the eyes! At first I was thinking the bare resin model looked "off", but the finished product looks spot on. Neat technique on the arms, too, I will need to remember to try that with some of my clear ABS/PETG prints.
Thank you! I think the original sculpt look weird because the sculptor has done that common thing where the irises of the eyes are sculpted to be concave rather than smooth (or even slightly convex). I can see why that's done in unpainted sculpture, since the resulting shadows delineate the iris. But in models of actual, recognisable characters I always find it slightly unhelpful, since it can change their expression/likeness. I prefer a smooth surface to paint onto.

Still, in this case, it seems to have worked, thankfully! :)

I found the technique for tinting clear printed resin here:

It worked pretty well for a first try!

Your paint work perfectly captured the look of a comic/movie hybrid, & I mean that as the highest compliment I can say. Outstanding model & as a fan of the film, I thank you for sharing.

Your paint work perfectly captured the look of a comic/movie hybrid, & I mean that as the highest compliment I can say. Outstanding model & as a fan of the film, I thank you for sharing.
Thank you so much! I've loved the manga since I started reading it back in the 90's. and the film really did it justice, I think. Such an under-rated movie.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back