AMT/ERTL 1989 AT-AT Restoration

Archive&Future

Sr Member
About October last year I got given a bag of old AMT/ERTL Star Wars kits; all already done, but to a mediocre standard and all broken or damaged. Shows what leaving models in a bag for 20 years does, eh?

This is what I started off with:

tumblr_m84i15o4gZ1rvpchho1_500.jpg

Yeah not great really. I cleaned up the parts a little bit and primed them with a mid-grey.

tumblr_m84i3inC0x1rvpchho1_500.jpg

I then repositioned the legs and pinned them together, pinning them afterwards to the engine undercarriage thingy

tumblr_m84i55UXGJ1rvpchho1_500.jpg

After that, I gave a basecoat of Astronomican Grey

tumblr_m84kv9YACQ1rvpchho1_500.jpg

...and then shading and weathering...

tumblr_m84kx9JdhN1rvpchho1_500.jpg

The paintjob was all done with Citadel paints, and to save time I'll just cmd+c cmd+v what I wrote over on Flickr

"The painting for this was massively simpler than any for the Millennium Falcon(s) I've done, which was a bit of a relief :D
I drybrushed the whole model in a 1:1 mix of Adeptus Battlegrey and Astronomican Grey, followed by a thin black ink wash. I then went straight back on drybrushing with a 1:2 mix of Astronomican Grey and Adeptus Battlegrey, followed up by a solid Astronomican drybrush coat. Now that was still a bit dull, so I went back over with a 1:1 mix of Denheb Stone and Astronomican Grey, to give it a bit of a worn grey look, then a leeettle bit of white drybrushing. I then did a final black ink wash and started on the weathering.

Weathering is great fun to do, as long as you know how materials work, it's easy to do and a nice change from being all neat and tidy!
I started with all the joints and edges by slapping in some greys, browns and blacks to get the dust and grime look, and from various other places I did rust with and Orgyn Flesh ink wash and Scorched Brown drybrushing.

The base was made from a slice of card covered in Polyfilla, which was sanded and sprayed white; and finally all stuck together on a black acrylic base stand."

Aaaand some finals photos

7696892146_74fce330de_c.jpg

7697043734_dfbe7a4428_z.jpg

Comments are appreciated!

Very nice and inspirational. I have quite a few kits from that area, including the snowspeeder and the x-wing. I think its time to get up into that attic again to recover those old kits and see what my meager skill set can do with them ;)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back