AMT Batman models *HELP NEEDED!*

batfan10

Sr Member
Not much of a model builder, but these are pretty fun to build :D

DSC_0005-1.jpg

DSC_0008-2.jpg

DSC_0010-1.jpg

One I am currently working on (harder than the Batskiboat)

DSC_0012-1.jpg

Last edited:
Re: AMT Batman models

Love all the vehicles from the Keaton films. I think I had the boat as a child and did a crappy job putting it together. I may have to track down some models from those films and build them.

The Batwing from the 89 movie is definitely worth getting and building, good choice! Another good one is the Batman and Robin Batmobile. Bad movie but the car builds up well and looks great in gloss back.

Dave

Great stuff, I am working on these myself, I also have the bat-skiboat complete, just waiting to get my hand on Tamiya TS semi gloss black to finish. Tamiya sprays aren't sold in Ireland. I also have the batmissle, batwing and 89 batmobile kits from AMT but not built. And along with the moebius bat-pod and hopefully their tumbler in the future I am trying to put together a same scale 1:25 collection. Hopefully 'The Bat' will be released from moebius too.

Can you tell me what paint you are using or plan to use, or will you leave as is thanks.

I don't plan on painting it (with maybe the exception of the silver pieces on the exterior. However, I have to paint parts of the batwing because I bought the kit semi-completed and they painted inside the jet a peach color. Is there a way I can remove the paint without damaging the kit?

brake fluid, or LA's "Totally Awesome Cleaner" should work pretty well.

I have the '89 batmobile kit from AMT ERTL and I removed the chrome from the parts using brake fluid with literally no damage to the plastic. And I used a secondary soak in the "totally awesome" to get it just that much more cleaned.

What a coincidence.
I was cleaning the garage out after work tonight and I found my model boxes.
These are still waiting on me to begin.
modelkits007.jpg

The Goon car is actually still shrink wrapped. LOL

No matter how many times I build or see these AMT models, they are alway...ALWAYS so much smaller than I expect them to be!!

I love them though - I love the box art almost as much as the models themselves.

I found my unbuilt Batwing in the garage last month. I was thinking of putting mine in the junkyard, it's one kit I'll never get around to building.

Building the batwing now. My first time with a non-snap model lol.

Using tape to hold it together till the glue dries. Painting will be last

P1080122.jpg

P1080123.jpg

P1080121.jpg

Got a bit more done for tonight. Still not ready to put the top on
P1080127.jpg

P1080125.jpg

Sadly I was cheap and used super glue for the glass and learned my lession after the glue messed it up a bit (oh well...)
P1080126.jpg

I use elmers glue for putting canopies on. I wouldn't use scotch tape to hold the parts together while you glue them, the model glue will eat through it. Try using blue painters tape.

I had thought Elmers was a wood glue, haven't used it before but anyway,
for my batwing I use a superglue gel and used a mix of clamps and lots of elastic bands. I would be worried the tape will leave residue on the model which will be worse again when painted.

I've been using Elmer's white glue to glue clear parts to my kits for a long time now, and have had pretty good results. It doesn't quite create as strong a bond as good old styrene cement, but as long as you handle the parts with care after you've glued them to the kit it shouldn't be a problem.

It was a shame that the super glue did not work out to well (black was coming of). And the glue I have now (Liquid Plastic Model Cement) doesn't seem to be holding the wings together :(

It was a shame that the super glue did not work out to well (black was coming of). And the glue I have now (Liquid Plastic Model Cement) doesn't seem to be holding the wings together :(
If you painted the parts prior to assembly, that is likely the reason. Cement made specifically for styrene models does not work through paint or chrome because it's specifically designed to melt the styrene together. Paint and chrome create a barrier between the styrene and the cement, rendering the cement ineffective. You have to lightly sand or scrape the paint/chrome off of the surfaces you want to glue together so that you're cementing bare styrene to bare styrene.

This set was bought used and I know the previous owner painted a bit in the cockpit (pinkish). But It appears the rest is unpainted. my sister read that the brush able cement works better. So, I might try that.

Glue is still not sticking :( Would brush-on glue work better? I'm thinking about getting Gorilla GLue

Also, what about using goo gone on the tape residue? (I'm not worried about taking glue off at this point).

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back