Aluminum Glue Recommendations

womo68

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Gentelmen,

I need to glue two pieces of pretty thin alu together. I've heard of using JB Weld, Rivets and 3m double sided tape. Will off-the-shelf silicone do the job? Does anyone else have recommendations? This will be a prop that moves around a lot...so strength is off the utmost importance.

Any gluing tips welcome.

Thanks,

womo

I would rough up the surfaces to be joined and use epoxy. Contact cement might also work, but epoxy should give you a very strong bond. . .

If at all possible, you should avoid glueing metel, especially if its going to be under stress or move. You should mechanically fasten (bolt or rivet) it together. However, if glueing is the only way to go, do as star-art says and rough up the pieces, then us an automotive or marine grade adhesive. Regular hobby type glues wont be strong enough.

Originally posted by womo68@Feb 13 2006, 03:31 PM
thanks guys for the recommendations.

womo
[snapback]1183210[/snapback]​

Plastic Welder by Devcon- works like epoxy, but itsn't not an epoxy. Comes in a double plunger tube and mixes 1:1. Rough up the surfaces first.

Mark

I did not like plastic welder, but Epoxy works great. Devcon has one called Plastic Steel (dont know if that is what the previous post meant) that works pretty good too. The big thing to remember is what type of stress the joint will be subjected to. Since metal does not "give" as much as other materials, that means the stress will translate directly into the joint and likely break the bond. If there is any stress on the bond, it will be better to use a more permanent method.

Are you building an R2 unit? I used 90 minute epoxy to hold the skins together on mine, gives you enough time to line everything up perfectly before it sets.

Originally posted by kevoris@Feb 13 2006, 09:17 PM
Are you building an R2 unit?  I used 90 minute epoxy to hold the skins together on mine,  gives you enough time to line everything up perfectly before it sets.
[snapback]1183738[/snapback]​

yep...I'm using a 90 minute epoxy right now... I might go the rivet route though.

thanks agian,

womo

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back