Alternate textile to use for "fiberglass"-style work?

helix_3

I want to learn fiberglass techniques, and I have the ventilation/ PPE required for polyester resin. However I can't really contain the tiny hell fibers created by fiberglass- my work area is too close to my normal living area.

Are there any comparable fabrics I can use instead of fiberglass? I'm not building anything structural, so somewhat weaker/ heavier parts are fine.

Rogviler

Polyester fleece works really well and stretches nicely for compound shapes. The main caveat is that it soaks up a LOT of resin, and you need to fully saturate it or else it ends up squishy. But the biggest pro is that you only need one layer.

I honestly think just about any fabric could work for prop type stuff, but the stretchier the better. Most would probably need several layers.

bigkidbiggertoys

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have used fleece to simulate welds on a 9 foot rocket I made for a kids parade and I can attest to it soaking up the resin. It worked for the detail pieces that I did but I think going with canvas might be a better choice. You can buy a cheap painters drop cloth and just make cuts to conform to your contours if needed.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.