Aliens Colonial Marine Smartgunner (Pvt. Drake) costume build

joukov

Hello!

I've got a few Star Wars 501st Legion costumes under my belt and I'm just about to finish my Judge Dredd costume so I thought it's time for something else

This is thread for my build. It's mainly a check list. I'll keep my eye on Ultimate Badass' amazing M56 build thread and add more pieces when he gets some results from his extensive research. :confused I haven't got his resources so I'll improvise here and there but try to keep quite screen accurate.

I'll add photos when I have something to show you.

Acquired:
- Smartgunner headset kit
- M69 flak vest
- US army jungle boots (Vietnam, vibram soles)
- OG106 or OG507 hot weather cap
- Drake's dog tags
- MG42 + drum ammo mag + ammo chain
- Kawasaki GPZ750 left side switch block
- Kawasaki AR125 footpeg brackets
- Top handle
- Rear handle with hand guard and "trigger box" and connecting rod
- Flash suppressor
- Top camera
- Explorer Night Raider knife
- Smartgunner chest armour
- Gloves
- Steadicam vest & double arm
- 3 patches for the vest
- Colonial Marine BDU pants (Aliens camo)
- Shoulder lamp

Ordered:

Needed:
- Smartgun power unit
- Private Drake's sleeveless shirt
- Chicken bones for the necklace

Last edited:
My smartgunner headset kit arrived some time ago after travelling between the continents a couple of times. :D

I've been considering a lot about getting an airsoft MG-42 but Yugoslavian MG-53 has its appeal too. Price at the moment is the same, weight difference is c. 10 kg. Difference in the cost comes into play when comparing various "steadicam" vests and arms. Real machine gun requires more expensive vest and arm. Metal/resin M56 is one possibility too but I haven't checked the price yet for it.

I've located a seller for most of the stuff but I thought I'd get the M56 + vest & arm sorted out first.

ps. Missed one MG-53 build by minutes. ;)

Finally pushed the project forward a bit.

Ordered:
- M69 vest
- Green military cap
- US army jungle boots (Vietnam was era)

Arrived:
- M69 vest
- Green military cap
- US army jungle boots (Vietnam was era)

Right sized cap was pretty hard to find (enough room for headset), replica vest (with foam as armour) is stiff but like the re-pro boots I managed to get perfectly sized items.

Finally got this project moved forward a bit and ordered an airsoft MG-42. It was priced just about the same as used MG-42/53 but weighs only half.
The older you get, the more comfortable costume you want. ;)

Without the kevlar plates and using airsoft machine gun I've cut the weight 9 kgs (=20 pounds) and that's a lot.

Also got Drake's dog tags

Last edited:
Finally got this project moved forward a bit and ordered an airsoft MG-42. It was priced just about the same as used MG-42/53 but weighs only half.
The older you get, the more comfortable costume you want.

Without the kevlar plates and using airsoft machine gun I've cut the weight 9 kgs (=20 pounds) and that's a lot.

Also got Drake's dog tags.

My beautiful MG-42 arrived and I ordered trousers, patches and Kawasaki parts.

My footbeg bracket supplier called me and said the parts had already been sold. That was a minor setback but I made some enquiries and found another supplier. This time I had a choice of used brackets or restored (better than new). I ordered a pair of the restored brackets.

If anyone needs these parts, I can get a couple of pairs from the seller.

Kawasaki parts arrived. Especially the restored footbeg brackets look spectacular, just like new (or better)!

Those brackets are still available, a couple of pairs, restored and used.

Arrived:
Right sized cap was pretty hard to find (enough room for headset), replica vest (with foam as armour) is stiff but like the re-pro boots I managed to get perfectly sized items.

That's funny that you mention that. I've been selling vietnam surplus for about 15 years. I have a box of the OG-106 ball caps, and I don't ship them. The sizes vary too wildly between manufactures, and years of production. I tell people that we have to meet up, and you have to dig through the box to find one that fits.

That's funny that you mention that. I've been selling vietnam surplus for about 15 years. I have a box of the OG-106 ball caps, and I don't ship them. The sizes vary too wildly between manufactures, and years of production. I tell people that we have to meet up, and you have to dig through the box to find one that fits.

I'll let you know when I'm coming over to California from Northern Europe to dig through your cap box. :D

Acquired for the smart gun:
- top handle
- rear handle with hand guard and "trigger box" and connecting rod
- flash suppressor
- top camera
- second ammo box for possible speaker setup

Ordered:
- Smartgunner chest armour
- Gloves

Project moves on while I recover from artificial spinal disc operation.

Bought steadycam vest and arm, gloves and chest armour and knife arrived.

Artificial Spinal Disc Operation...wow, hopefully you're recovering well; that SteadyCam harness will be a good send for your back (I think);)

I don't know if you ever wrapped this up, but...
Every so often this pops (no pun intended) into my head and I try to find one on the internet. I'm nostalgic like that.

I'm sure I'm not the only person that knows this but the power unit/smart-gun battery is made from one of these:
Edison Giocattoli toy gun with 1/4" stereo plugs on the ends. Always thought this was neat because I had these guns as a kid.
There's another one with a rotating "barrel" that held four bullets. These things were a lot of fun.
Source 1
Source 2

260990824856.jpg 600px-Aliens_767.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back