Agent Carter

@#*$ Stupid Time Warner cable ran the Muppets 5 mins in. so my DVR cut Agent Carter off by 5mins! TWC is determined to not let me see the last 5 mins of all of these. So what happened after Whitney Frost grabbed her husband by the throat?

@#*$ Stupid Time Warner cable ran the Muppets 5 mins in. so my DVR cut Agent Carter off by 5mins! TWC is determined to not let me see the last 5 mins of all of these. So what happened after Whitney Frost grabbed her husband by the throat?

That wasn't just Time Warner, I think ABC's broadcast was late, I'm on Uverse and it was about 5 minutes late starting.

I'm on Comcast, and mine started and ended normally (I know this, because I didn't miss any of Shannara when I switched to it).

Yeah ABC fubar'd the DVR of everyone in the eastern or central timezones with a New Hampshire primary update. They should have scheduled 5 minutes into the night's programming for that or just eat the loss of ad time.

I really dig Peggy Carter, but a couple things this season are really lowering the bar. When they brought in that scientist goon and the chubby chick a couple episodes back, things got way too slapstick.

And now a musical number? OMFG I cringed at that! What was the point of that? Okay, she was unconscious, so what? Have you ever had an entire musical number as a dream?

I really dig Peggy Carter, but a couple things this season are really lowering the bar. When they brought in that scientist goon and the chubby chick a couple episodes back, things got way too slapstick.

And now a musical number? OMFG I cringed at that! What was the point of that? Okay, she was unconscious, so what? Have you ever had an entire musical number as a dream?

It wasn't as bad as people had led me to believe, they had me thinking it was a whole musical episode, but yes, it was completely out of place, not only in the episode, but in the entire series. It's about as stupid as having the Avengers breaking into a song and dance number in the next movie. No thanks.

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. I liked the first season of this show, but I've found it almost unbearable at times this year and the musical number was the breaking point fror me. I'll watch the finale just because it means I only have to sit through one more episode, but I hope they put this show out of it's misery by not bringing it back for another season. Think Marvel needs to stick exclusively to their deal with Netflix because both Agent Carter and Agents of SHIELD are huge steps down in quality from the MCU movies and Netflix shows.

Folks, it's the 40s, and she's in Los Angeles/Hollywood. How could they NOT?

Sad to hear this is the end (unless there's a save by Netflix or something). I've enjoyed the show. It's never a good sign when a network starts burning 'em off two at a time.

They had that planned all along. They had more episodes this season, but only allotted 6 weeks to show all of them. AoS was slated to come back 3/8 before a single episode of carter aired this year.

A bit disappointed with the whole series. Very uneven; for example in terms of extras (when talking in the Police Precinct in an EMPTY corridor:rolleyes)...what? No money to put some extras in that scene? No smoking in the '40s...you gotta kidding me!! Is this an Alternate Dimension:confused The Network would want to throw more money in that series if they want it to look better...

I'll have to say that finale was pretty weak.

If they hadn't had that little cliffhanger at the end, I would say let this series stop right here. Unless they get into the founding of SHIELD, I don't think this show has anything left in it.

I want less of the sci-fi stuff and more character moments with Agent Carter solving cases with witty banter.

I loved character moments of the first season like the end of one episode when she opens up to the waitress at the diner. "Shut up, English, you talk too much." And the shot pulls out of the restaurant like Edward Hopper's Nighthawks. Two tough talking dames just acting like regular joes. I love that stuff.

I don't need alternate dimensions, time travel and aliens. I just want Agent Carter in the 1950's.

I'll have to say that finale was pretty weak.

If they hadn't had that little cliffhanger at the end, I would say let this series stop right here. Unless they get into the founding of SHIELD, I don't think this show has anything left in it.

The founding of S.H.I.E.L.D. is the only thing I ever wanted out of the show. Watching Peggy Carter run around in the misogynistic 1940s never interested me a bit. I wanted what came after the One-Shot.

I felt that initially Agents of SHIELD was going to be less superheroy and more just MIB types of cases. The show wasn't always well received and ratings eroded. When they changed the formula to delve into the inhumans etc. there was a resurgence of interest. The take home lesson was that people want more FX driven shows so that's why Carter is getting more gimmicky.

I think they got the wrong message. I think AoS could have succeeded on its original premise if THE WRITING was better. The show picked up because the story got interesting and the writing got better. I think the writing now is not at its best but it's definitely improved from the lows of the early first season.

But Agent Carter is a different creature altogether. The lead is so strong I think she can sustain a show provided the writing supports her. The first season was certainly of a better quality with great Hopperesque cinematography and great dialogue. I worry they're trying to inflate the show with the same sci-fi that's prevalent in AoS which would be a huge mistake. Agent Carter could and should have a character all its own. It should tell a story about the early days of SHIELD. We don't need the tie-ins. The cast can sustain that more so than the cast of AoS. The first season had promise. I haven't finished the second season but the reactions so far in this thread don't make me feel good about it.

I felt that initially Agents of SHIELD was going to be less superheroy and more just MIB types of cases. The show wasn't always well received and ratings eroded. When they changed the formula to delve into the inhumans etc. there was a resurgence of interest. The take home lesson was that people want more FX driven shows so that's why Carter is getting more gimmicky.

That's what they wanted it to be, they wanted AoS to be all humans, no superhumans, but that's not what the comic book viewing audience wants to see. The same was true of Arrow. It was supposed to be all humans but once Flash came along, they revamped the show so they could have all kinds of supers showing up. That's where the ratings are. Carter, which came along after they learned their lesson on AoS, is going to be the same way. That's what fans want to see. Fans are what the advertisers want to see. Advertisers are what the networks want to see. There's a direct causal link.

I think they got the wrong message. I think AoS could have succeeded on its original premise if THE WRITING was better. The show picked up because the story got interesting and the writing got better. I think the writing now is not at its best but it's definitely improved from the lows of the early first season.

I don't think so. They're making a show to appeal to the comic book superhero crowd. The show picked up specifically because it became a part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe by taking up the storyline of Winter Soldier. I think early in the first season, they were still finding their legs, they initially thought they could have a standalone show. That didn't turn out to be the case.

But Agent Carter is a different creature altogether. The lead is so strong I think she can sustain a show provided the writing supports her. The first season was certainly of a better quality with great Hopperesque cinematography and great dialogue. I worry they're trying to inflate the show with the same sci-fi that's prevalent in AoS which would be a huge mistake. Agent Carter could and should have a character all its own. It should tell a story about the early days of SHIELD. We don't need the tie-ins. The cast can sustain that more so than the cast of AoS. The first season had promise. I haven't finished the second season but the reactions so far in this thread don't make me feel good about it.

I don't find Carter to be different at all, except that it's set in the past. They can't directly tie it into what's happening in the MCU. However, it is still trying to appeal to the same audience that AoS and all of the movies are. Most people, at least that I've talked to, never really cared to see Peggy Carter, secret agent, they wanted to see her start S.H.I.E.L.D. That what their entire interest in the show and the character. When they didn't get that in the first season, they started to drift away. When it didn't happen in the second season, even more left and it showed in the ratings. The problem is, this isn't about the early days of S.H.I.E.L.D., it's Peggy Carter, girl spy. People want S.H.I.E.L.D. They want helicarriers. They want the superhero aspects that ties her to the MCU. The reason people love Coulson is because he's right there with the Avengers, he's an unofficial part of the team. Other than almost going on a date with Captain America once, what does Peggy Carter have?

I don't think so. They're making a show to appeal to the comic book superhero crowd. The show picked up specifically because it became a part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe by taking up the storyline of Winter Soldier. I think early in the first season, they were still finding their legs, they initially thought they could have a standalone show. That didn't turn out to be the case.

No, by bringing in characters like Sif and having tie ins to the movies, it's ALWAYS been part of the MCU. The problem is that they had to fill the story between Coulson's reveal of being alive and the emergence of HYDRA, and they didn't really have much to do on that front. Basically, they were stringing it out as much as possible, which caused the overarching story to suffer as a result.

I really enjoy Agent Carter, but I do agree that the whole "dragging it out" aspect of the two major unresolved plotlines (specifically: "How does SHIELD get formed?" and "Who does Carter marry?") has hurt the show. That said, I've really enjoyed the show the whole way through. It's a fun show, I love the leads, and I enjoy watching it. I think it did need to move the plot along, though, and that they may have teased stuff and failed to deliver for a bit too long.

I'd like them to deal with the formation of SHIELD and the target of Carter's husband up front. Then they can get to business writing new material and adventures.

Although I can understand the value of tie-ins I would rather have each individual property preserve as much independence as possible - e.g. GotG.

In my ideal world I'd like to see AoS with little superhero content and Agent Carter with even less sci-fi/fantasy material but good solid suspense and writing. I'd rather have a number of properties with slightly dissimilar fan demographics rather than everything looking for broad appeal.
Just look at the immense tonal shift of the Netflix series compared with the films. In the long run properties with disparate tones, themes and genres make the MCU a richer place.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back