Advice for a life-size prop BUYER

Leeway

I'm not sure if I really belong here because I have no prop building skills whatsoever, but I do the enjoy and appreciate the craftwork that goes into it. I do own a few costumes but they're all ones I bought finished from various dealers or eBay and (hopefully soon) licensed costumes from Anovos. I've found though its a bit harder when I want to buy static props. The best example I can come up with are my efforts to buy an R2-D2. I explored a few eBay options but none of them seemed particularly reputable or affordable.Since I attend several comic cons throughout the year I always try and strike up a conversation with the local R2 Builders. When I mention I'm looking to buy or have someone build me one, the conversation usually comes to a halt. I understand that nobody is really supposed to be selling these things and they don't know me from a Disney lawyer but it seems like there's a bigger taboo in discussing props rather than costumes (or am I just crazy?) I joined the Astromech board but that seems geared more towards actual builders than any sort of marketplace
Ultimately I'd like to own an Artoo, BB-8 and some other droids strictly for display purposes, nothing remote control, just something for the house and office. Anybody have any thoughts?

The R2 Builders group are exactly that... A builders group. We have always had an extraordinary relationship with LucasFilms/Disney and that is in part because of the agreement that we do not build droids for commissions or sales.

Ive been in the group since 2008 and I've seen TONS of people come in with zero abilities and low confidence in completing a build. And you know what? They finish their goal and learn a bunch of new skills along the way.

I'd say, read up on styrene builds on astromech. Especially if you're looking to do a static build. Super affordable and super easy. Hardly any tools required either.

The problem is more so that while it's easy to say "I just want to buy 'x' can you do this?" for something like an R2 replica, functional especially, is that it's a lot of freaking work and it's very very expensive. A local R2 builder's member and friend has put well over $10k into his R2 and that's over the span of many years..and he's still adding more to him.

I think the only really known instance of someone having the R2 builders make them a droid was actually Lucasfilm, for obvious reasons.

And honestly it depends on who you talk to. It's not all "hush hush" as it may be perceived. The other additional fact is that most of those in the club share A LOT of information. They go so far as to have a set of "universal" scaled plans for the droids and doing so can be seen as something frowned upon, i.e., "selling" what is mutually shared information and plans. I'm sure there's a lot of finer nuances (i'm not a part of that group for sure) but from what I gather from being around them for several years is that it's just not something one can delve into, even if you've got all the money available. Between him and others, they're always waiting for runs to become open or parts to get fabricated and they can can take months, easily.

I'm not wanting to rain on your parade, but there's a lot of things associated with that part of the conversation which can turn off folks you're talking to.

The other side to that, and this can be said for any general prop builder or someone who does commissions, is that there's a crap ton of folk who say "oh I'll pay you to do this" and then you tell them a price, and the response is "that's too much, I can give you 'x' instead" or my favorite line "I can build it better and cheaper" before they stomp away. It's a major turn off sometimes to discuss prices of these things to individuals who just may not be as knowledgeable as the folks who participate in such labors. Apply those folks to something that costs more than an average car and you can see what I'm getting at.

So, to be blunt, I think the only way you're gonna be able to get a somewhat functional R2 unit is one of 3 ways -

- Get a static sideshow piece like above
- Wait for someone to sell theirs
- Build it yourself

I have to assume that you've got close to $20k lying around? I can't see you getting a decent replica from a member for less if you want the bells and whistles to be honest :/

Like Greedo said, r2 builders are there to build their own droids and not build for other people. I am sure it has been done and if you look long enough someone will take your money and promise you a droid. However, unless it is already complete, prepare to wait a long time to get it. it takes a long to to amass all the necessary parts. It took me two years to finish mine.

There have been some deals that went south and caused all sorts of issues.

If you don't have any desires to up your skill set and just want a static prop, my advice is to go with Sideshow.

-Eric

The problem is more so that while it's easy to say "I just want to buy 'x' can you do this?" for something like an R2 replica, functional especially, is that it's a lot of freaking work and it's very very expensive. A local R2 builder's member and friend has put well over $10k into his R2 and that's over the span of many years..and he's still adding more to him.

I think the only really known instance of someone having the R2 builders make them a droid was actually Lucasfilm, for obvious reasons.

And honestly it depends on who you talk to. It's not all "hush hush" as it may be perceived. The other additional fact is that most of those in the club share A LOT of information. They go so far as to have a set of "universal" scaled plans for the droids and doing so can be seen as something frowned upon, i.e., "selling" what is mutually shared information and plans. I'm sure there's a lot of finer nuances (i'm not a part of that group for sure) but from what I gather from being around them for several years is that it's just not something one can delve into, even if you've got all the money available. Between him and others, they're always waiting for runs to become open or parts to get fabricated and they can can take months, easily.

I'm not wanting to rain on your parade, but there's a lot of things associated with that part of the conversation which can turn off folks you're talking to.

The other side to that, and this can be said for any general prop builder or someone who does commissions, is that there's a crap ton of folk who say "oh I'll pay you to do this" and then you tell them a price, and the response is "that's too much, I can give you 'x' instead" or my favorite line "I can build it better and cheaper" before they stomp away. It's a major turn off sometimes to discuss prices of these things to individuals who just may not be as knowledgeable as the folks who participate in such labors. Apply those folks to something that costs more than an average car and you can see what I'm getting at.

So, to be blunt, I think the only way you're gonna be able to get a somewhat functional R2 unit is one of 3 ways -

- Get a static sideshow piece like above
- Wait for someone to sell theirs
- Build it yourself

I have to assume that you've got close to $20k lying around? I can't see you getting a decent replica from a member for less if you want the bells and whistles to be honest :/

Well said, and it took me 2 years to make mine and that was an all aluminum droid. Styrene droids will cost under $1,000 and look awesome!

They also aren't as time consuming because at any point you can go pick it all up and get back to you house and start away, unlike with aluminum droids where you are constantly waiting on parts to arrive....

Alex

If you're not dead set on a full size R2 then you could pick up the JAKKS big fig R2 toy that was released a little while back. There is a static one and one with sounds. I think they are about 1/5 to 1/4 scale, it's 20 inches tall. I've thinking about buying one so I can add some rc electronics to drive it around.

You can't really have it both ways.

A 1:1 scale R2 is a serious build, even in styrene. The labor content is potentially massive, even buying in all the resin parts and not scratch building them still requires everything else to be made and then assembled.

For someone to build one and then sell it, the price will always reflect that commitment. Even if you pay someone to build it and they actually know what they're doing, it's still a labor intensive build.

However, I've seen R2 builds (usually fully cast) that are 'reasonably' accurate for sale under $2k, not often, but they do exist.

If you have no interest in building, then your budget will dictate the quality of your purchase.

There is no cheat or easy way....such is the passion of replica movie props;)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back