"Accessories" for prop replicas...

Fetthunter

Sr Member
I'm normally more of a prop builder, as I prefer building props from found items rather than buying "collectibles" (In fact, I only have 1 MR piece, and that's the thermal detonator because I got it on sale and loved the electronics).

Most of my props aren't really expensive at all, but they're made from real pieces (and most importantly - I like them. :D). Having a number of built props, I've found the need (or want, at least) to get description plaques/plates and display cases for them. A lot of the time I'm finding that the plaques/plates and cases together cost as much as (if not more) than the prop they're intended for. :( This means that almost all of my props are unprotected, simply because when given the choice of buying a case and plate or a new prop, I buy the new prop (duh.).

Are there less expensive alternatives than spending upwards of $20 for a plate and (sometimes) $50-$100 on a nice case? I'd just rather spend my money on props than the accessories to go with them. :confused

Just looking for ideas about what some of you other prop builders do for cheaper "accessories", or do you just bite the bullet? I've found smaller cases for some of my smaller props, but I'm having problems finding them for the larger ones (like my Leia ANH & ROTJ DDC blasters).

J

I just made an absurdly inexpensive plate for a display the other day. I picked up some 1" wide brass bar stock at the local hobby shop (I'm sure that aluminum stock would work just as well) and some clear adhesive labels at Staples (I got 2" x 4" to allow some wiggle room and to allow me to make larger plates if I want). I then designed the label in CorelDraw, printed it out, cut the stock to size and shape using my Dremel, stuck the label on and trimmed it to fit. Quick, simple and it cost less than $3.00. I'll try to upload a picture of it tomorrow morning.

<div class='quotetop'>(Darkknight0667 @ Jun 14 2006, 01:39 PM) [snapback]1261636[/snapback]</div>
I just made an absurdly inexpensive plate for a display the other day. I picked up some 1" wide brass bar stock at the local hobby shop (I'm sure that aluminum stock would work just as well) and some clear adhesive labels at Staples (I got 2" x 4" to allow some wiggle room and to allow me to make larger plates if I want). I then designed the label in CorelDraw, printed it out, cut the stock to size and shape using my Dremel, stuck the label on and trimmed it to fit. Quick, simple and it cost less than $3.00. I'll try to upload a picture of it tomorrow morning.
[/b]

I've done something similar in the past. I bought some brushed aluminum labels by Avery and printed my design on them, then stuck them to cut-to-size pieces of aluminum plate from the hobby shop.

Now that I can do vinyl decals and have brushed aluminum vinyl, I'm thinking about doing the text and stuff, then weeding out the letters and applying the rest of the decal to a black piece of Sintra so that the black shows through the areas where the letters are weeded out. Similar to a MR look. :D

<div class='quotetop'>(Fetthunter @ Jun 14 2006, 12:17 PM) [snapback]1261652[/snapback]</div>
Now that I can do vinyl decals and have brushed aluminum vinyl, I'm thinking about doing the text and stuff, then weeding out the letters and applying the rest of the decal to a black piece of Sintra so that the black shows through the areas where the letters are weeded out. Similar to a MR look. :D
[/b]
Hey that's a pretty cool idea.
How small can you get the lettering on your vinyl cutting machine?
If you try this, I'd like to see pics of how it turns out.

<div class='quotetop'>(superjedi @ Jun 14 2006, 02:51 PM) [snapback]1261671[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(Fetthunter @ Jun 14 2006, 12:17 PM) [snapback]1261652[/snapback]
[/b]
Hey that's a pretty cool idea.
How small can you get the lettering on your vinyl cutting machine?
If you try this, I'd like to see pics of how it turns out.
[/b][/quote]

I can cut as small as about 1/8", though I'm not sure how good the resolution/definition is at that small size. I'll play around with it some and see what I can come up with. :D

What size are MR plaques? :confused

A nice shelf or stand to display them on (or both, as is often the case), that's about as far as I can go. Besides, it's nice to have them out in the open where you can easily pick them up without having to take them out of a case.

I don't like display cases at all. I only own one (MR Motion Tracker), and that's out in the garage, never even taken it out of the box.

I made a plaque similar to the MR one out of Sculpey, and made a silicone mold of that. If I need one, I just cast a new resin one. I design the fronts in Illstrator, & just print out on photo paper. Cheap, & all the plaques I make have a uniformity.

I was at KB toys the other day and they had display cases for model cars that were 13" by 4" by 5". they were the perfect size for a lightsaber, and better yet they were on sale for 5 bucks.

check around in the model section of your local hobby store.

<div class='quotetop'>(dropshipbob @ Jun 14 2006, 03:52 PM) [snapback]1261699[/snapback]</div>
A nice shelf or stand to display them on (or both, as is often the case), that's about as far as I can go. Besides, it's nice to have them out in the open where you can easily pick them up without having to take them out of a case.
[/b]

My Leia blasters I really want in a case since they're black (dust magnets). Also , with 2 small kids on the loose, I need some better form of protection than what I have now. Maybe a Tazer, perhaps? :lol

Maybe I just need to load up and drive to Atlanta's Ikea and get some Detolf cases. Wouldn't have to worry about cases then. Geez... Those Detolfs are as cheap as some Acrylic cases I've seen. :eek

<div class='quotetop'>(Birdie @ Jun 14 2006, 04:09 PM) [snapback]1261709[/snapback]</div>
I made a plaque similar to the MR one out of Sculpey, and made a silicone mold of that. If I need one, I just cast a new resin one. I design the fronts in Illstrator, & just print out on photo paper. Cheap, & all the plaques I make have a uniformity.
[/b]

That's an interesting idea. Does your plaque have a stand or prop made into the back of it so it can stand up on its own? It probably wouldn't be hard to make one with an angled piece on the back of it to allow it to stand... I might try this sometime soon. Good idea. :thumbsup

<div class='quotetop'>(DarthCalibar @ Jun 14 2006, 04:12 PM) [snapback]1261711[/snapback]</div>
I was at KB toys the other day and they had display cases for model cars that were 13" by 4" by 5". they were the perfect size for a lightsaber, and better yet they were on sale for 5 bucks.

check around in the model section of your local hobby store.
[/b]

I've bought several of the Testors brand cases for 1/18 scale models (2 for $11 at Walmart.), and I'currently using one to house the raptor claw that I made earlier this year aloong with the amber chunk w/ mosquito. Unfortunately, they're not great for everything I have - like my Leia blasters, which are too long to fit in the case. :(

<div class='quotetop'></div>
That's an interesting idea. Does your plaque have a stand or prop made into the back of it so it can stand up on its own? It probably wouldn't be hard to make one with an angled piece on the back of it to allow it to stand[/b]

Yeah, it does. I totally ripped off the MR design. :lol

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back