A Tron Car: CAN IT BE DONE?

DangerIMMN

Perhaps. But only with the aid of the RPF!

I'm already thinking about making a Tron Legacy costume. I just got a nice new black car, and was realizing yesterday that at night, the interior is very Tron-ey! The dashboard lights up with a soft blue glow and it has ambient foot/cupholder lighting as well. Then it hit me - what if I could add glowing lines to the exterior and wheels? It would be so fun to drive around in!!!

Here's a couple of pics I photo-shopped to test the idea:
1870-ford-focus-sedan-2b.jpg

1871-ford-focusb.jpg

Making all the chrome parts black would be the first thing, I think. Putting some LEDs inside the wheel wells and inside the grill in front would be great. The hardest thing might be putting glow lines on the tires... it would have to be on there pretty good and each tire would have to have its own battery pack I would think.

Has anyone ever done anything like this? I definitely need more info and web links...

Street Glow has a bunch of led and neon lighting accessories for your car. Check their website for ideas on stuff you could do to light it up.

This would be pretty cool not street legal in CA but cool none the less

Yes, make sure you check your local laws regarding vehicle lighting. Most states allow you to have those lights on while you are parked, but you cannot drive with them on. If it is only in the movies parking lot you might be ok though.

I'm working on some more photoshopped pics (just because they are really fun to do) but here's a question: how would one attached EL strips or something similar to the exterior of a car without having to drill holes? The only thing I can think of might be some sort of clear/translucent silicone or something that could be peeled off later. But never heard of anything like this being done before.

How about that safety tape that "glows" when light reflects off of it? Like that used on police vests when they have to work outside in bad weather? It's also used on street signs and such. I've also seen it used on Tron costumes so that when someone takes a flash photo, the costume appears to have glowing lines.

Of course that means it won't be constantly glowing, but it's an idea.

Sweet reference, and right on the spot, for the Automan car. Man, a car that could turn at 90° is the ultimate reference. ^_^

If you mounted a couple lasers (with a wide angle beam) just right up inside the wheel well, you could make it look like there are lines in the middle of the tires.

To quote the guy who made Bruce the mechanical shark "We can make anything"

The question is what are the Cops going to think about it. i know for some things they overlook but you may eny up driving with the effects turned off when driving somewhere

If you mounted a couple lasers (with a wide angle beam) just right up inside the wheel well, you could make it look like there are lines in the middle of the tires.

Oooo! That is a GREAT idea! Thank you!

And yeah, all the effects would probably have to be turned off while on the road. Esp. cuz I live in the San Francisco Bay Area.

For further inspiration, check the cars used in I,Robot, as the way the wheels were covered by domes would look very similar to the Tron Bike.....l.
You can also buy EL Sheet- works in the same way, and can be cut to size.

Oh- And try putting the EL Wire inside the window frames where you can. This would have a cool effect of making the windows glow....

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back